Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/01/2007, 09:52 AM   #26
drummereef
Team RC Member

bodeba - pH is somewhat of a seperate issue. If your alk is really between 2.5-4.0 meq/L then you are fine. Open some windows in your place to let some fresh air in. Believe me, you'll see your pH go up. Also, 7.8-8.5 is acceptable for pH. If you are within the recommended range you have no worries. Buffers are not a good long-term solution to either alkalinity or pH issues. Please read the following.

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

The "How To" Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 3: pH
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2007, 10:09 AM   #27
jeffbrig
Premium Member

This is the key diagram:

The lines show the fixed relationship between alkalinity and pH. The line can be shifted around by other factors, but alkalinity and pH are always linked. Higher alkalinity results in a higher pH, lower alkalinity results in a lower pH. Absent a shifting factor that needs to be removed (high CO2 being the most common, is picture here), raising alkalinity is the only way to influence long term pH.

I'll make another suggestion as well...mix up 5g of water in a bucket, and let it sit indoors near the tank with a powerhead and/or airstone. What pH does it mix up to? Then, take the same bucket outside, and let it sit with the pH or an airstone for a few hours. What does it read now? You may want to repeat the experiment with water taken from the dispay.

This will tell us a few things. First, whether there something in your newly mixed water that's depressing pH. If it mixes up to 7.6 and stays that win inside or outside, there's something in your source water that's depressing pH. If it mixes up to a good pH, there may be something going on in your tank that's depressing pH. If it mixes up at a low pH, but rises to a good pH once you move it outside, it's probably indoor CO2.

Do some tests, give us back some more data. Adding buffers is a band aid, not a solution. Let's identify the problem first...

Current Tank Info: formerly 250g room divider
jeffbrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2007, 10:31 AM   #28
jeffbrig
Premium Member

little more info: (from one of the above articles)

Quote:
Solutions to Low pH Problems
Effective solutions for low pH problems include regularly using high pH additives and providing more aeration with fresh air. Limewater (kalkwasser) is the best choice as an additive for raising pH, followed by high pH two-part calcium and alkalinity additives. These methods have the advantage of raising pH without undesirably raising alkalinity relative to calcium.

Buffers alone are not generally a good method for raising pH because they raise pH relatively little, and often result in excessive alkalinity. Unfortunately, the labels on many commercial buffers are written in ways that convince aquarists that their pH will be fine if they just add some buffer. More often than not, the pH is not improved for more than a day, and the alkalinity rises above desired limits.

Two other generally useful methods of increasing pH include growing macroalgae that absorb some CO2 from the water as they grow (often in a sump that's lit on a reverse light cycle to the main tank to provide the maximum pH increase when the main tank is at its minimum pH), and aerating the water with fresh air.

Current Tank Info: formerly 250g room divider
jeffbrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2007, 11:37 AM   #29
bodeba
Registered Member

Thanks..

Will be opening more windows (I´ll try,,, it is so cold in brazil, where I live, right now)

And I will be adding more kalk to see what happens... and then post back here,,,

bodeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2007, 11:40 AM   #30
drummereef
Team RC Member

Sounds like a good plan, bodeba. Just make sure to not overdose on the kalk or you'll have a whole set of other issues.

And btw, the Antonio Carlos Jobim International Airport, Brazil, (RIO) on weather.com says its 82F in Brazil. I don't think you'll have any problems. Antonio is one of my favorite artists by the way. Gotta love the bossa.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2007, 06:42 AM   #31
bodeba
Registered Member

Love bossa too...

I don't live in Rio ... I live in Belo Horizonte,,, quit high place with lots of wind,,,

I 'll be dosing kalk on my tank 3 or 2 times a day, instead of just one at night,,,,, 1 teaspoon per 2 litters of water ... Will it work ??

bodeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2007, 06:48 AM   #32
Frick-n-Frags
Registered Member

oxygen reactor/bigger skimmer/open a window whatever to get more O2 and less CO2 in the water. that is free pH uppage.

high alk usually means good buffer capacity. kalk has pH of 12, so not much left besides CO2 to pull pH down

Current Tank Info: 2 50 gal tanks, sump, still BB
Frick-n-Frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2007, 07:02 AM   #33
jmack
Premium Member

I am having the same problem...very frustrating! I have been adding baking soda but like you i'm afraid the alk is getting too high ( it's at 9dkh already).

jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2007, 07:52 AM   #34
mm949
Registered Member

a good skimmer should gas out CO2 and increase O2...more flow through sump can make a HUGE difference...check ORP levels...keep mechanical filters clean...refugium would also help levels balanced....i would reduce or stop adding chemicals...does not help create a stable environment and can product false tests..the best fix are water changes...25% per week for one month..

good luck

Current Tank Info: ...18ft of double sided goodness
mm949 is offline   Reply With Quote