Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/11/2019, 07:21 PM   #1
Clownfishfan
Registered Member

Aaron's 125g Reef

I thought it was about time to start a journal from my tank now that Ive had it running for, oh, about 8 years now. Ive been rather stagnant lately with my activity, its just been running along smoothly and I haven't thought to mess with it.
The time has come to share my tank and its developing progress! I have been a reader and a member of this site for a number of years, but never had a tank log.

Its a 125G mixed reef
Lighting- 3 250w 20,000K MH lights, morning/evening LED strip, moonlight LED strip
Filtration- Filter sock, UV sterilizer, DIY down flow algae scrubber rated for 1 cube per day
Around 100LBS of live rock, give or take over the years.

Stock-
Spawning pair of Tomato Clownfish
Spawning pair of Cherub Angelfish
Sailfin Tang
Kole Tange
Hippo Tang
Orchid Dottyback
Yellow Headed Jawfish
trio of PJ cardinals
Lone Male Mandarin Dragonette (was part of a m/f spawning pair for a few years until he killed his mate)

Corals-
Mix of palys and button polyps
Orange mdntipora digitata
Green birds nest
purple Pocilipora sp.
A freak ton of orange muschrooms
miscellaneous mushrooms of size and type
Hammer coral
Green Candy Cane

Most of the fish have been in the tank for years, the clowns, male angel, and hippo are going on 4-5 years, the largest PJ cardinal, mandarin, and Kole are going on 3 years or so. The smaller two PJ's are maybe a year, and the jawfish and orchid are only about a month!

The corals are mixed, some came from the BioCube I ran around 9 years ago, others trickled in. The Hammer is the newest addition.
Ive always focused on the fish more so than the corals, though over the years ive owned a large variety of softies, LPS and SPS.

The tank is controlled by an Apex jr, with pH and temp probes.
6-7 gallon water changes 1-2x per week. Subject to change.

The tank has been doing greater the last several years but I think its time for changes, new lights are first order on the menu. I want to add a T5 fixture to supplement with my MH and ditch the evening LED strip. Im looking for better coloration on my corals and would like some advice. The tank has a canopy with the lights and cooling fans mounted, I can probably only mount a 2 bulb T5 fixture. Is 2 bulbs worth it or would a 4 bulb make that much of a difference?
Ive been looking at a bunch of RC threads on the ATI bulbs and have seen some BRILLIANT looking tanks.
Improving my coral growth is also on the menu, as well as attempting to raise some baby tomato clowns.
Years ago I raised neon gobies, dwarf seahorses, and some mild success with peppermint shrimp.

Clownfishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2019, 07:38 PM   #2
Clownfishfan
Registered Member

Aaron's 125g Reef

Brown Polyps

Green Birdsnest

Last edited by Clownfishfan; 02/11/2019 at 07:45 PM.
Clownfishfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angelfish, birds nest, clownfish, eggs, lps