Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/23/2018, 01:09 AM   #1
13468f
Registered Member

growing live rock

i was wondering how difficult it would be to grow your own live rock and if an sps would go down thru the sand and encrust to the glass bottom kind of like a plant

13468f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 04:18 AM   #2
sde1500
Registered Member

By grow your own live rock what do you mean? Make the rock yourself and run a tank of it to make it live? Buy dry rock? Something else I’m not thinking of? You can make rock, there are those that do, a search here will find some threads on it. As for the sps I’d say likely no, it would have to start on a rock you anchored to the glass but the sand around the coral would irritate it.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 04:21 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Shortly after you put dry rock into a tank of saltwater it becomes live rock..
"live" just refers to the point where it starts to become colonized with living bacteria..

and no corals don't have roots and don't grow into unlit areas..

Unread 04/23/2018, 05:03 AM   #4
homer1475
Registered Member

WOW I never knew you could GROW rocks.

Someone tell me why the heck we have been buying rock all these years?

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 06:03 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
WOW I never knew you could GROW rocks.

Someone tell me why the heck we have been buying rock all these years?
Must have had a sheltered childhood..
Never had a Magic Rocks Kit?
Crystal Growing Kit?
Rock Candy Kit?

Unread 04/23/2018, 06:41 AM   #6
homer1475
Registered Member

Must have been. never had any of those, but did eat rock candy every time we went to camp.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 07:01 AM   #7
hijinks
Registered Member

I almost think that OP thinks that live rock is dead coral?

hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 07:12 AM   #8
ClownNut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijinks View Post
you think live rock is not dead coral?

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 08:49 AM   #9
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, it is, so...

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
Unread 04/23/2018, 09:43 AM   #10
FoxFace Fish
Registered Member

live rock is any rock with bacteria in its pores/ on the surface does not matter what kind of rock as long as it has bacteria living on it.

on a side note i thought he meant grow like put a pebble in the water and have it turn into a 10lb rock

Current Tank Info: Reason I am broke as a joke
FoxFace Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 12:09 PM   #11
Sk8r
RC Mod

Read the 'preparing rock' thread atop this forum. That will help you. Yes, you can condition the right KIND of rock to perform as live rock. Limestone is best, but raw limestone may present you with a load of phosphate (algae fuel) ---getting rid of that is one reason you condition rock. Stay away from other kinds of rock: some types have metals and others are too dense.

Adding just one fist-sized 'very live' rock with worms and such growing on it (from a healthy tank) will spread that life to all the rock.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 02:45 PM   #12
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Pining for the old days of Tonga branch...

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 07:09 PM   #13
13468f
Registered Member

what i mean is grow sps and pull it out then let it die then place the dead coral skeleton back in and use it as live rock, but taking a few frags off first of course

Ive always been confused how do you add rock to a pre-established tank without causing a massive swing in water quality ie.(mini cycle,) because that's what worry's me most about adding live rock

my 75 gallon tank already cycled for almost 2 months with 5 hermits, cheato in a CPR medium refugium, im seeing a lot of copepods and using marine pure spheres for my primary bio filter

Unread 04/23/2018, 07:23 PM   #14
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

growing live rock

You add rock to an existing system slowly. Add a piece or 2, wait 2 weeks add again, wait, etc

No idea why you would want to grow sps then kill it then put it back in??? You mean the rock?

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 09:00 PM   #15
13468f
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pslreefer View Post
No idea why you would want to grow sps then kill it then put it back in??? You mean the rock?
so you can utilize the skeleton for muiltible different corals

but the other thing helps a little

Unread 04/24/2018, 04:35 AM   #16
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13468f View Post
Ive always been confused how do you add rock to a pre-established tank without causing a massive swing in water quality ie.(mini cycle,) because that's what worry's me most about adding live rock
To increase the amount of rock in an existing tank you can either just add dry rock or cure live rock in another tank/bucket then add it or if it contains little to no die off due to shipping or was purchased locally then it can be added directly to the tank as is.. All of those won't cause any water quality/mini-cycle issues..

Unread 04/24/2018, 12:48 PM   #17
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Quote:
what i mean is grow sps and pull it out then let it die then place the dead coral skeleton back in and use it as live rock, but taking a few frags off first of course

my 75 gallon tank already cycled for almost 2 months with 5 hermits, cheato in a CPR medium refugium, im seeing a lot of copepods and using marine pure spheres for my primary bio filter
that would take a really long time and would be really sad. you spend all that time and effort to grow them just to kill them off.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 01:20 PM   #18
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:

just add the rock. The cycle is when a tank can't handle the ammonia. If you have a cycled tank it should have an adequate biofilter to be able to handle any potential die off. The live rock you are adding also adds to the biofilter as bacteria is already established on it.

Unread 04/24/2018, 01:21 PM   #19
EMeyer
Registered Member

I cant imagine anyone deliberately growing corals for the purpose of killing them and turning their skeletons into live rock. But real live rock *is* dead coral skeletons. And if a coral dies in your tank, it will also turn into live rock after all the worms, sponges, algae, and bacteria colonize it. So in a sense yes this proposal has some merit. Just seems like a slow, costly, and labor intensive way to get live rock...

EMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 07:11 PM   #20
13468f
Registered Member

i think ill just add live rock then

Unread 04/24/2018, 07:29 PM   #21
Smokey Stover
Registered Member

It took mother nature millions of years building skeleton upon skeleton to form the coral reefs we have now. Some rock is mined here in Fla. from prehistoric coral reefs that are now inland.

Smokey Stover is offline   Reply With Quote