Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/23/2018, 11:06 AM   #1
travis32
Registered Member

Multiple "sumps" question

So, I'm planning a multiple sump operation for my new 330 gallon Reef aquarium.

I was thinking of using a 55 gallong brute garbage can, plumbed to a 75 gallon aquarium. Why the garbage can? well, it's taller and will allow a gravity feed between the garbage can and aquarium. At least that's my plan.

But I need silent operation, not toilette sounds.

So, Would I do sometype of Herbie method where I do a lower bulkhead and a pipe in the water, and cut back the flow with a gate valve? Then, the second emergency pipe just barely skimming the surface of the water to act as an emergency overflow.

I plan to have this garbage can covered, with the aquarium overflow flowing directly into this with hard PVC to the bottom of the garbage can. Then the "Herbie" gravity feed to the 75 gallon sump, which then is pushed back to the tank by an external pump. All 1.5 inch plumbing except for the returns which for some reason are 2, slightly larger than 1/2" returns.

Would this work with a garbage can and keep it fairly silent?

travis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 12:33 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I would simply use bean animal drain setups and call it a day..
http://www.beananimal.com/projects/s...ow-system.aspx
A 3 pipe system is superior to herbie/durso,etc...

If you have the choice ...the choice is EASY..

Unread 04/23/2018, 02:10 PM   #3
travis32
Registered Member

Great! Thanks. So the biggest difference between Herbie and Bean animal is a 3 pipe system vs. 2.

I have this overflow box just for reference. But, I could do whatever I wanted for a drain system from the Rubbermaid can to the sump aquarium. I Just want to have more space to do things with or have a lot more rock in the garbage can and then keep the sump clear of rocks for things like Chaeto and ATS.

This is the overflow box I"m going to attempt to use.

https://www.customaquariums.com/info...ealth-box.html

Unread 04/23/2018, 02:17 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yes the extra 3rd pipe really goes a long way to making a silent and failsafe system..

Looks like you can easily do a bean setup with the stealthbox..
I personally wouldn't use on of them as a ghost (Reefsavvy) or Shadow (Synergy) or Eshopps "Eclipse L" even are "better" IMO (and cheaper I believe).. But if you have it already it can certainly be used..

Unread 04/23/2018, 02:29 PM   #5
travis32
Registered Member

So, for a "2nd Sump" flowing into the sump (with a 10 foot run or so" Would the same setup be recommended in terms of getting water from the garbage can to the sump... A bean Animal flow with 3 pipes all Running the ten feet? The reason I ask is the ten feet needs to flow down at an angle (and /or level so as not to flow up at any point....) I would have to have 3 pipes all following the same path of the 10-12 feet... That's a lot of 1.5" pipe to try to hang along the same wall!