Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2011, 09:44 AM   #1
Vinny Tang
Registered Member

Vortech MP40 vs Tunze Wavebox vs Sea Swirl

I've been doing some research on these 3 products and looking for some insight.

I'm running a 90g mixed reef with corner overflow (Durso drain).

I was almost set on the Tunze 6206 until I read that if your overflow is in the corner, the water level can shift 2" and cause the overflow to gurgle or just be loud in general. But I heard for pulse/wave action, nothing beats this wavebox. This is the mid-range price between the 3 products at $360.

The Sea Swirl seems like a good alternative, but I would probably still have to run Koralia powerheads, which I'm trying to get away from. Also, because this sit on the outside of the tank, its a bit of an eyesore and from my understanding eliminates the closed loop system? Can someone explain this? This is also the cheapest option at $260.

Then theres the Vortech which I've heard good things about, besides the noise complaints when the unit gears up and down. Does the MP40 create the same waves as a Tunze Wavebox, and will I run into the same problems with the overflow gurgling if the waves dip below the teeth on the overflow?
This option is the most expensive around $500, but I'm willing to pay for the right product.

Please chime in with any info/suggestions

Vinny Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2011, 02:42 PM   #2
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Do you want better flow or just waves?

IME a wavebox is the best at creating waves. It is also huge and an eye sore unless it can be hidden.

Waves will destroy your tank if it wasn't built for them. Your first step is to contact your manufacturer and ask. Your stand must also be built to handle it. After a few years of rocking back and forth once a second it will fatigue.

A sea swirl will not give you waves.

IMO Vortech is the way to go if you are looking for better flow. They have nutrient export mode that will create a wave then switch back to a flow mode to keep the detritus in suspension so more can be sent to the sump.

I can slosh water out of my tank with my vortechs but I only do it to show off... I never actually use it on a regular basis. The corals respond much stronger to lagoon mode for me.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2011, 04:44 PM   #3
TreyK
Registered Member

+1.

Unread 04/21/2011, 04:58 PM   #4
BaronPoudrier
Registered Member

I have a 110 gal (48"*20*30) with, among my powerhead, an Mp 40. It wont be enough alone to move stuff in you tank. If I had to do it again, I would go for the Tunze solution, wich is more flexible, both in price and in direction of flow, for upgrade, in the end.

I love my Mp 40, but I wish I could by another one to sync it at 400$ max...

Unread 04/21/2011, 05:24 PM   #5
rbredding
I HEART BUILD THREADS!!!

the tunze wavebox will make overflow noise IF you run your overflow water level especially low.. (I run mine about 1/2"-1" below the bottom of the overflow teeth)..

the noise made from a tunze wavemaker is from water falling "in surge" through the overflow teeth and down to the standing water level of the overflow.. (the shorter this distance is, the quieter the system).. THERE'S A VIDEO IN THIS THREAD showing what makes the tunze wavebox "loud"

but to be fair.. ANY wave crashing over that overflow would make noise.. (regardless of whether the Tunze or the Vortech makes the wave)

I can tell you that I've got BOTH Tunze (on my 90 Reef) and Vortech (MP10ES on my Fish Only)

the Tunze are quieter.. especially when the vortech is in any of the oscillating flow modes.. you can DEFINITELY hear the wine of the motor when it's varying high-low-high...

I've set my tunze 6055s up on a controller to produce waves and when they oscillate, they're silent.. (you LITERALLY have to put your ear to the magnet on the outside of the tank to tell whether they're speed is changing)... the wavebox is also SILENT in operation..

personally...

I'm looking to add a wavebox as we speak..

Current Tank Info: 90gal Reef & 30L Dwarf Fish Only
rbredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2011, 05:33 PM   #6
mil hse
just frag it

I run a 3/4" sea-swirl for my return and 2-Mp10's... can't beat the set up... the only time the Vortech's are loud is on pulse mode IMO... might be a little bit loud for a bedroom. But i love this combo. just my $.02

Current Tank Info: 240 w/75 sump mixed reef running since Jan 2012 and 120SPS w/300+gallon sump in fish room in construction, 136QT (2x54 1-28gal corners) floor to ceiling QT system in construction, and 60 cube w/ 40 breeder.
mil hse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2011, 06:57 PM   #7
Vinny Tang
Registered Member

Does running a sea swirl eliminate the closed loop system?

can someone explain this? and whats the disadvantage

Vinny Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2011, 07:32 PM   #8
karsseboom
Registered Member

sea swirl is not even the same as a vortech pump or tunze. the vortech can make very good waves to, there is a setting on it to make waves. there are also many other settings on it that can do just about whatever you want. imo the is no replacment for a vortech pump and by far better then tunze.

karsseboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2011, 08:58 PM   #9
chadfarmer
Premium Member

if i could do it again i would use a sea swirl and a few tunzes more random flow

Current Tank Info: 200 Gal RR,ATB medium, 4 AI blue sol,230 LBS LIVE ROCK, no sand , 40 GAL sump, airstar1800, 3 tunze 6105 1- 6205 1-6305, Geo 818, profilux3ex with toys
chadfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2011, 09:21 PM   #10
rbredding
I HEART BUILD THREADS!!!

Tunze NanoWavebox is on the way... when it's setup, I'll let you know exactly how everything is working...

Unread 05/20/2011, 08:40 AM   #11
rbredding
I HEART BUILD THREADS!!!

IT ROCKS.. I wouldn't change a thing...

btw, have y'all noticed that there have been about 15 people selling MP40s over the last week??

Unread 06/06/2011, 08:15 AM   #12
mcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Waves will destroy your tank if it wasn't built for them. Your first step is to contact your manufacturer and ask. Your stand must also be built to handle it. After a few years of rocking back and forth once a second it will fatigue.
I believe this was the fear when wavemakers hit the scene a few years ago, but do we have any of the people running them posting around here complaining about their tanks breaking? No.

Are there any tank manufacturers who "build their tanks for wavemakers"? Hah..some won't even warrant their tank when it's not on one of their own stands.

Fatigue is worth considering, especially if you're working with a substandard - or already distressed - tank or stand, IME. If you've got a well-made tank and stand on a good foundation, you're not likely to have a problem - just like everyone else.

-Matt

P.S. To the OP: You've asked us to compare three different tools to each other. The Vortech and Tunze Wavebox kinda overlap in that the Vortech can do waves.

To me, the relatively flimsy construction of the Vortech, combined with the wicked-high cost make it a non-starter. A couple of static flow sources like the sea swirl or Tunze stream pumps or Hydor korallia's added to the wavebox would be a good start.

mcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2011, 08:14 PM   #13
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarroll View Post
I believe this was the fear when wavemakers hit the scene a few years ago, but do we have any of the people running them posting around here complaining about their tanks breaking? No.

-Matt

Just because it does not happen every day does not mean it does not happen. You are shifting a good amount of weight around inside a box of glass. The reason people say this is because there are cheaply built tanks out there and tanks that have old tired seals. Adding a wave making device to these tanks are just plain stupid. Is adding a wavemaker to a standard tank a bad idea. Probably not. Is adding a wavemaker to a tank with a crap stand or seams a bad idea. Yes, it probably is.

You will find this "myth" hard to break with a short poll but from an engineering standpoint I can tell you it does effect seams and stands. How much it effects them depends but when you give advice on the net you have to expect people with all types of systems will read it. It might not effect you at all but it might be advice that keeps someone from having a catastrophe.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2011, 10:41 AM   #14
rbredding
I HEART BUILD THREADS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarroll View Post
I posted a poll about this very topic...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2010580

Unread 06/07/2011, 12:38 PM   #15
tmc1313
Registered Member

I run two 1" seaswirls on a closed loop along with two controllable koralia 6's with a wavemaker. I think it's a really good combination with tons of random flow and great circulation. I have a canopy so you don't even see the seaswirls except for the oscillating return that is in the tank itself.

tmc1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6206, mp40, sea swirl, tunze, wavebox