Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/24/2014, 05:16 PM   #1
xdestry
SPS Addict

Tropic Marin Pro Reef low levels, anyone else?

Hey guys I recently bought a new bucket of tropic marin pro reef salt and mixed it up today, but found really low levels for all 3 parameters. My alk was 5.5, calcium 330, and magnesium at 960. This is using hanna checker for the alk and salifert for the other two. I was wondering whether anybody else has experienced this before. Also I am not sure if the salt is still safe to use if I correct the levels using 2 part, even if the alk cal and mag are right maybe all of the other trace elements are wrong, is my thinking correct in this? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Current Tank Info: 100 Gallon + 40G Sump, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8x39 (B+,C+,B+.Act.B+.P+.Gieseman Super Act, B+), 2x MP40QD, Aquamaxx Q2 + ConeS CO1 Skimmers
xdestry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2014, 05:54 PM   #2
outssider
Registered Member

I'd call and complain. They'll probably make you send in a sample but if your tests are accurate they will most likely send you out a replacement. I wouldn't use it for the same reasons you mentioned.

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2014, 06:23 PM   #3
Newsmyrna80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdestry View Post
Hey guys I recently bought a new bucket of tropic marin pro reef salt and mixed it up today, but found really low levels for all 3 parameters. My alk was 5.5, calcium 330, and magnesium at 960. This is using hanna checker for the alk and salifert for the other two. I was wondering whether anybody else has experienced this before. Also I am not sure if the salt is still safe to use if I correct the levels using 2 part, even if the alk cal and mag are right maybe all of the other trace elements are wrong, is my thinking correct in this? Thanks for any help you can provide.
I have. I loved TM but it wasn't worth the extra money. I switched to a different salt that was half the price.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon reef tank with 30 gal refugium
Newsmyrna80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2014, 06:30 PM   #4
janes_mw
Registered Member

had same issue a few years ago, went to Red Sea Blue bucket, been consistent and priced right. I like 7-8 Alk so this is consistent and does it for me.

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
janes_mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2014, 07:36 PM   #5
Mastiffsrule
Registered Member

I've use tm for 2 years now and been very happy. Never an issue. I will say it mixes fast but takes about 24 hours to fully disolve. I will mix 2 33 gallon brutes cans to do my water change with. When I first mix the salinity reads about 33, the next day it goes to 35. I suggest mixing a batch and letting it mix for a day and recheck. Your numbers should be where you want after rechecking.

Mastiffsrule is offline   Reply With Quote