Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/05/2013, 03:47 PM   #1
kallan
Registered Member

Question Opinions on my possible new to me acrylic tank

I have been in the hobby for two years now and want to go larger. The new tank I'm considering measures 75"L x 30"D x 29"H (280 gallons) The stand is 42" tall. I will be the third owner, that I know of, and I don't know who the manufacturer is. This tank will eventually replace my oceanic 135 gallon mixed reef.

There are three 17" holes in the top that could make it difficult to work in as well as the height of the stand. Could the cutouts be opened up and a brace put in the middle or would that make much of a difference? I have a 4 step stool handy that I can use on a daily basis. Everything in the tank will be at eye level and that may be nice. Also, I've never used an orbital sander. Is it possible to use an orbital sander with the cutouts in place? There are a few deep scratches and some fine ones that need buffing out.

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (4).jpg (51.4 KB, 14 views)
kallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2013, 06:01 PM   #2
prop-frags
SPS Slave

No personal experience here with acrylic tank buffing, but i think keeping the top eurobracing in place is a good idea. If it's possible to do your buffing using the existing openings, that would be best. Can you tell if most of the scratches are inside or outside? Also, since it seems that you are still considering the purchase, I would closely examine the seams along the bottom and sides, making sure you don't see any significant bubbles or crazing.

Current Tank Info: 200g temp garage tank
prop-frags is offline   Reply With Quote