Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/23/2017, 10:48 PM   #1
johnfallon135
Registered Member

i can't get the bottom of my gfo to tumble without the top going crazy?

what should i do?

johnfallon135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 12:31 AM   #2
Scarface8
Registered Member

What reactor are you using? I used to run gfo, I used it in a TLF reactor, after cleaning out the reactor, I would reassemble in this order, 1- black sponge, 2- red disc and tube, 3- gfo, 4- black sponge near top of reactor, 5- red disc and lastly the lid, I found doing it in that order helped a lot with tumbling the gfo more evenly at the bottom.

You could use less gfo in there, but you will have to change it more often, or maybe even a second reactor if your using a lot.

Scarface8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 07:34 AM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

GFO should ONLY tumble slightly @ the top of the column, NOT the whole amount, you will pulverize it.

Unread 03/24/2017, 07:36 AM   #4
Dragon1979
Registered Member

When do you start runing gfo when the coral mature or as soon as the tank finish cycle

Dragon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 07:37 AM   #5
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

When you need to drop the PO4 levels.

Unread 03/24/2017, 10:02 AM   #6
davehead86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
When you need to drop the PO4 levels.
Which can be hard to figure out. So if your having algae issues then you more than likely have PO4 issues / excess PO4 in the tank. Just an FYI for the OP.

Current Tank: 65 Gallon Mixed Reef| 40B Sump| 2 Radion Gen 3's| 2 MP10wes| Vectra M1 | Reefkeeper Lite
davehead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 11:03 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon1979 View Post
When do you start runing gfo when the coral mature or as soon as the tank finish cycle
GFO is one method to address a phosphate issue (usually caused by overfeeding/lack of maintenance,etc..)
If you don't have one you absolutely should not be running GFO..

For some reason new people think they MUST run GFO,etc.. to have a successful aquarium.. That is simply incorrect..

Its one solution to a problem.. If you don't have the problem you don't need a solution

Unread 03/24/2017, 11:06 AM   #8
FirstContact
Registered Member

True...Only supposed to tumble at the top. Use as needed.

Current Tank Info: 120g Reef 100g Rubbermaid Sump, 20g Refugium; previous tank: 46g Drilled; Self Plumbed, Birds Nest, Anchor, Xenia, Zoas, Yuma Yuma Ricordea, Chalice, Mushrooms, Brain, Acan, Anenome Plate; Clams, Other Inverts, Fish, Live Rock
FirstContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 06:00 PM   #9
Lsufan
Registered Member

It is supposed to tumble to keep it from clumping up & not turn into a brick. So if the top is moving a small amount it is getting water through it & it shouldn't clump up.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 07:56 PM   #10
johnfallon135
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
It is supposed to tumble to keep it from clumping up & not turn into a brick. So if the top is moving a small amount it is getting water through it & it shouldn't clump up.
but if the the rest below isn't moving they're not going to clump up?

Unread 03/24/2017, 09:01 PM   #11
Lsufan
Registered Member

If the top is tumbling then the rest of it is also moving it's just hard to see because it's moving so slowly & all u can see is what is on the outer edge. U can't see what's going on through the middle of it

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2017, 01:01 AM   #12
Scarface8
Registered Member

When I first started using gfo, I had the top off it simmering away but the bottom wasn't moving, the bottom can definatly clump that is why I posted about the order I used to fill the reactor

Unread 03/25/2017, 03:28 AM   #13
ksicard
Registered Member

I use to just let the GFO sizzle at the top and after about 3 weeks the bottom would clump a bit all around the outer edge layer. I typically change my GFO every 4-5.5 weeks and so I started wondering if I turned the flow up just a bit higher if I would get more time out of my GFO. I'm not saying to turn up the flow for vigorous tumbling, but I'm now turning my flow up a bit more from just the top sizzling to a tad bit more where there's a bit more movement but not enough to grind the GFO down. I just started this on my current round of GFO so I still am testing to see if this affects the length of time my GFO will last.

Bare in mind that GFO clumping around the outer edge is completely subjective to your GFO reactor setup. I'm sure some of the more expensive reactors may reduce this already or the amount of GFO in the reactor and etc.... There's more then just flow to consider.

ksicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 12:45 AM   #14
johnfallon135
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface8 View Post
What reactor are you using? I used to run gfo, I used it in a TLF reactor, after cleaning out the reactor, I would reassemble in this order, 1- black sponge, 2- red disc and tube, 3- gfo, 4- black sponge near top of reactor, 5- red disc and lastly the lid, I found doing it in that order helped a lot with tumbling the gfo more evenly at the bottom.

You could use less gfo in there, but you will have to change it more often, or maybe even a second reactor if your using a lot.
why does the order in the top matter? does it effect the flow at the bottom?

Unread 03/31/2017, 12:55 AM   #15
Scarface8
Registered Member

i can't get the bottom of my gfo to tumble without the top going crazy?

No not particularly, that's just how I did it, I might have done it just in case any decided to float up that sponge will catch it early