Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/19/2009, 07:59 PM   #76
nanokeeper
Obsessed Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cet98 View Post
my goodness
I am speechless and beyond impressed with the attention to detail....
+1. Outstanding. Amazing.

nanokeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2009, 08:10 PM   #77
mnml
Registered Member

The placement of the Vortechs rocks! Absolutely amazing build and well executed.

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 130.4
mnml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2009, 08:18 PM   #78
roundspore
Registered Member

Simply amazing I like the attention to the small details. You must have spend a lot of time planing this build.

Michael

roundspore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2009, 08:19 PM   #79
NaClCrocodile
Registered Member

Absolutely amazing. Yours is the most inspiring tank I've ever seen. The most planned out, and best excecuted tank. Have you got an idea for stocking it? Did you plan this all out yourself? How long have you been reefing?

NaClCrocodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2009, 09:42 PM   #80
d2mini
Registered Member

Thank you very much, everyone! It's great to hear such nice comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnml View Post
The placement of the Vortechs rocks! Absolutely amazing build and well executed.
Thanks! This was not my idea actually. I was going back and forth, really leaning towards doing a closed loop system but my tank builder (kyle at sapphire aquatics here in houston) came up with this idea. So I can't take credit. He was really good at listening to what i wanted to accomplish, the style of plumbing I wanted to do, etc and then designed the overflow with everything considered. What I needed to do though was figure out how to get the wires down the 1" dry pipe. NONE of the plugs would fit! So I was able to open up the vortech wave driver boxes and luckily the main power wire loom had a "connector" at the circuit board and i was able to just unplug them, run the wire down and replug into the other half of the connector soldered to the circuit board. The lights was a little more complicated but same idea. Luckily all the wiring came into the end of the fixture behind the same plate that gets removed to install the bulbs. But in this case each wire had to be disconnected individually. Once disconnected the loom could be pulled out and sent up the dry pipe from below and then everything reconnected. Overall, it was all a lot easier than it could have been, that's for sure.
The only thing I'm a little worried about is working around those Vortechs and not blocking too much flow to the outer corners of the tank with rock and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClCrocodile View Post
Absolutely amazing. Yours is the most inspiring tank I've ever seen. The most planned out, and best excecuted tank. Have you got an idea for stocking it? Did you plan this all out yourself? How long have you been reefing?
Thank you. I decided to upgrade tanks beginning of August so that's how long I've had to figure things out, find the tank builder, go over the plans, gather equipment, etc. It was definitely a collaboration. The stand for instance was designed by me but again, the stand builder was able to add his expertise to the project.
I didn't have the skills to build everything but I had strong ideas of what I wanted and I was able to find the right people to work with.
I've only had my current tank for a year. Several years before this, i tore down a 150g that was running for a few years and spent the next few years out of the hobby. But I've definitely learned the most over this past year, thanks to you guys here and other forums and was able to get tons of inspiration for this build.

What i fear is that once i start stocking it, it's going to be all down hill from here. But as far as plans go, not sure. I'm definitely looking forward to having certain species of fish that I couldn't have with a 46g tank. And I'll be taking inspiration again from the minimalist tanks thread as far as rock is concerned. Maybe not that minimal, but less than i have now. Again, gonna have to work around those Vortechs. Rock will be coming from Tampa Bay Saltwater. I'll have some pests to deal with, but hoping to avoid hair algae and other pest algae problems that i have now in the 46.

d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2009, 11:13 PM   #81
elsefailed
Registered Member

perfection!

Current Tank Info: 40 Breeder Mixed Reef
elsefailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2009, 11:14 PM   #82
amnesia
Registered Member

D2mini, you have done an outstanding job thus far with your tank. It's so well put together! I can't wait to see it stocked and maturing.

amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2009, 12:30 AM   #83
Johnny C
Registered Member

Wow... your tank (and house) are amazingly beautiful. DEF following along, keep us updated!

Unread 12/20/2009, 01:04 AM   #84
tc2008
Moved On

Nice build!! you did exactly what I imagined on doing to my future tank which placing the vortech inside the overflow. Do you happen to know how deep is the dimension of your overflow stick out? I'm afraid it'll take up too much real estate inside my tank...

tc2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2009, 02:22 AM   #85
zorden
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Water is going in!!!

Got my overflow installed thursday night, starting putting in water yesterday.
This is all the water i have so far, still making/mixing 30 gallons at a time. Got about 90 gallons in so far. Over the top of the first vortech.

Started my skimmer going, just to test it out. Nothing to skim being that it's pure brand new water.

Here's the overflow innards.
You can see the wiring for the lighting and vortechs going down the dry pipe.
Also the dry-dock for the vortech motors.
I have a strainer for the 1" main drain (short one in the middle) but haven't put it on yet.
The one on the left is the 1" emergency drain. 3/4" return split to two loc-lines.

And the front of the overflow. Two areas on each side for taking in water plus the slot at the top of each side for surface skimming.

That a very nice design.

zorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2009, 08:37 AM   #86
d2mini
Registered Member

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc2008 View Post
Do you happen to know how deep is the dimension of your overflow stick out? I'm afraid it'll take up too much real estate inside my tank...
It sticks out about 13". Could probably get away with 12".

Unread 12/20/2009, 09:09 AM   #87
autodave
Registered Member

Awesome setup,keep the great work!

autodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2009, 10:36 AM   #88
jeff1225
Registered Member

That over flow box system is simply the best I've seen on this sight....

jeff1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2009, 11:16 AM   #89
mnml
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you very much, everyone! It's great to hear such nice comments.

Thanks! This was not my idea actually. I was going back and forth, really leaning towards doing a closed loop system but my tank builder (kyle at sapphire aquatics here in houston) came up with this idea. So I can't take credit. He was really good at listening to what i wanted to accomplish, the style of plumbing I wanted to do, etc and then designed the overflow with everything considered. What I needed to do though was figure out how to get the wires down the 1" dry pipe. NONE of the plugs would fit! So I was able to open up the vortech wave driver boxes and luckily the main power wire loom had a "connector" at the circuit board and i was able to just unplug them, run the wire down and replug into the other half of the connector soldered to the circuit board. The lights was a little more complicated but same idea. Luckily all the wiring came into the end of the fixture behind the same plate that gets removed to install the bulbs. But in this case each wire had to be disconnected individually. Once disconnected the loom could be pulled out and sent up the dry pipe from below and then everything reconnected. Overall, it was all a lot easier than it could have been, that's for sure.
The only thing I'm a little worried about is working around those Vortechs and not blocking too much flow to the outer corners of the tank with rock and stuff.

I was just about to ask how you got those wires down that small pipe. Very creative indeed. What type of corals are you planning to host? SPS, LPS, mixed?

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 130.4
mnml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2009, 01:26 PM   #90
epleeds
Registered Member

Quote:
question about the light hanger. Did it come with light, or did you get it somewhere else?

thanks...

epleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2009, 01:38 PM   #91
volmek
Registered Member

Inspiring!

volmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2009, 03:53 PM   #92
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epleeds View Post
question about the light hanger. Did it come with light, or did you get it somewhere else?

thanks...
It did come with a very similar kit but that kit didn't have the nice connection at the ceiling. The one that came with it just had a loop at the end of the wire that i suppose you would have attached to hooks in the ceiling. This kit was the Sunlight Supply hanging kit and it came complete with long wood screws for studs (which i was able to use) and big toggle bolts.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
Unread 12/20/2009, 03:54 PM   #93
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnml View Post
I was just about to ask how you got those wires down that small pipe. Very creative indeed. What type of corals are you planning to host? SPS, LPS, mixed?
Thanks.
A mix of stuff. I'm an equal opportunity reefer.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 12/20/2009, 04:20 PM   #94
Chihuahua6
Premium Member

One of the most important design aspects to me is how the tank is incorporated into the decor of the rest of the home. You have done a superb job in this aspect. I can't wait to see more.

Current Tank Info: First salt tank 1985, current tank 150 g acrylic
Chihuahua6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2009, 04:45 PM   #95
cet98
"feed ur reef...feed it!"

Dennis...
I hope you understand how HIGH you have set the bar here with your build
Please.........please......do NOT let us down with a "poorly" designed Aquascape...

J/K.... I too can not wait to see more

cet98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2009, 06:28 PM   #96
shandy_say
Registered Member

Nice! Love the 2 vortechs!

shandy_say is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2009, 07:23 PM   #97
d2mini
Registered Member

Well, the major stuff is done!
The tank is running!

Here's a pic of the completed overflow plumbing.
Main drain with strainer and the emergency drain poking it's head above water.
It's running DEAD SILENT!
Thanks, Herbie!

Unread 12/20/2009, 07:39 PM   #98
theyammieguy
Registered Member

Very nice.
What LFS do you usually go to? I'm on the southside and usually go to "all about fish" near almeda mall.

12g JBJ deluxe JBJ viper 70w, maxi jet 900, Koralia nano, two false percs, softies, LPS, and SPS, about 25# LR and 2"-3" SB. Running since 3/22/07. Soon to add sump with skimmer
Click my home page for pictures.

40g breeder upgrade in progress.

Planning a 60g cube FOWLR.
theyammieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2009, 07:43 PM   #99
d2mini
Registered Member

I was just at all about fish yesterday!
They are a haul for me though. I live near the IKEA on I-10.
So I usually hit up City Pets, T&T or Fish Gallery.
But Kevin does have some of the best corals in town.
3rd Coast Corals has also been getting in some nice stuff. They're off 290/Antoine. Same space as Sapphire Aquatics.

Unread 12/20/2009, 08:00 PM   #100
theyammieguy
Registered Member

Yeah, he's a good guy. I bought three zoa frags and a kenya tree from him yesterday. Only had 25 bucks left and needed a koralia nano, he let me have it.

I've never been to T&T or city pets.

I'm really looking for LFS's that carry nice equipement. I'm looking to upgrade to a 58g and don't want to buy everything online.

12g JBJ deluxe JBJ viper 70w, maxi jet 900, Koralia nano, two false percs, softies, LPS, and SPS, about 25# LR and 2"-3" SB. Running since 3/22/07. Soon to add sump with skimmer
Click my home page for pictures.

40g breeder upgrade in progress.

Planning a 60g cube FOWLR.
theyammieguy is offline   Reply With Quote