Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/23/2011, 07:12 AM   #176
powder blue
Registered Member

Perfect

Last edited by powder blue; 08/23/2011 at 07:26 AM.
powder blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2011, 08:45 AM   #177
westreef
Lost as usual

Wow, absolutely gorgeous. What a sea-scaping!!!

75g, ATI 4x58wT5 LED Hybrid Powermodule, AquaMaxx ConeS 1, 2xMP40wES, RKL controller, Tunze Osmolator
westreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2011, 09:10 AM   #178
Arkayology
Registered Member

Your tank is totally amazing! I love the scape with the mature colonies.

in between tanks
Arkayology is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2011, 01:45 PM   #179
Fliger
Registered Member

Just saw this thread - what a beautiful tank!!! I'm setting up a new tank - I've been out of the hobby for awhile. Seems like BRS has a nifty little system, and since I'm REALLY trying to avoid a Ca RX, I was wondering how you like the BRS system, what type/brand dosing system you use - and if you could do it over again, would you stick with a two part - or a reactor?

Thank you and congratulations on such a beautiful tank!

When life hands you lemons, add vodka!

Current Tank Info: Current: 210G Elos System, 2x400W + 6x54W Photon w/Aquaconnects, H&S skimmer, Deltec FR509/ROWAphos+Elos Carbon, 6101's and 6201's, Ocean GEOtronic 900 Chiller/Heater, Biotopus II Controller w/SMS. Elos System 70.
Fliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2011, 09:24 PM   #180
sweet ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bello View Post
Seriously SWEET!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Beaver View Post
Very cool tank!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagz727 View Post
how i wish my sand was that white!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by powder blue View Post
Perfect
Quote:
Originally Posted by westreef View Post
Wow, absolutely gorgeous. What a sea-scaping!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDude View Post
Your tank is totally amazing! I love the scape with the mature colonies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliger View Post
Just saw this thread - what a beautiful tank!!! I'm setting up a new tank - I've been out of the hobby for awhile. Seems like BRS has a nifty little system, and since I'm REALLY trying to avoid a Ca RX, I was wondering how you like the BRS system, what type/brand dosing system you use - and if you could do it over again, would you stick with a two part - or a reactor?

Thank you and congratulations on such a beautiful tank!
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

For me BRS 2 part have always worked as you look back from when I first started the system, I've always used 2 part dosing. As per the dosing method am only using aqualifter pump plus a timer for each one. For the water volume that I have I would have, if I could do it again I will still use 2 part dosing, but I will invest in a better dosing system ie. Profilux stand alone dosing system.

sweet ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2011, 05:24 AM   #181
zaheda
Registered Member

I knew you going to get the system to look good again, well done. What t5 unit are you using?

zaheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2011, 09:21 PM   #182
sweet ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaheda View Post
I knew you going to get the system to look good again, well done. What t5 unit are you using?
Thanks zaheda!!

am using a 6 bulb tek light fixture with 1 fiji purple, 1 14K(white), 1 actinic, 3 22K(blue).

Unread 08/26/2011, 04:07 PM   #183
Fliger
Registered Member

Thank you for the info. With your obvious success, I believe I'll stick with the BRS! Seems much easier. What do you think of the BRS dosing pumps? So, if I read this all correctly, you've been with BRS through the life of your tank, and you switched from pellets to go back to vodka dosing? Other than mg, ca/alk and vodka, is there anything you really add? I'd like to keep my new aquarium simple, as simple as possible.

When life hands you lemons, add vodka!

Current Tank Info: Current: 210G Elos System, 2x400W + 6x54W Photon w/Aquaconnects, H&S skimmer, Deltec FR509/ROWAphos+Elos Carbon, 6101's and 6201's, Ocean GEOtronic 900 Chiller/Heater, Biotopus II Controller w/SMS. Elos System 70.
Fliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2011, 10:21 PM   #184
sweet ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliger View Post
Thank you for the info. With your obvious success, I believe I'll stick with the BRS! Seems much easier. What do you think of the BRS dosing pumps? So, if I read this all correctly, you've been with BRS through the life of your tank, and you switched from pellets to go back to vodka dosing? Other than mg, ca/alk and vodka, is there anything you really add? I'd like to keep my new aquarium simple, as simple as possible.
your welcome! I personally have not tried out the BRS dosing system but I know a handful of people that are using them and they don't have anything bad to say about it.

That is correct I've always used BRS 2 part though the life of the tank. The main reason I've gone back to vodka for the time being is because the pellet have been problematic for me in the last 2 months this issue is that they keep clumping up. I will most likely go back to pellets later on in the year as I really don't like dosing the vodka manually everyday.

I've only dosed CA & ALK in my system on a consistent basis, MAG is only dosed to the system if the parameters are not up to par. I've also started dosing KALK to the system just to see if I can get my PH back up. Unfortunately so far no luck.

Unread 08/28/2011, 07:13 AM   #185
SaltwaterAdict
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet ride View Post
I was wondering if someone can shed some light to my bio pellets fiasco.....

been using them since June or July last year with no problem with them... the last couple of weeks they started to clump up, I will mix them daily and the following day they will clump up again... there is some sort of "snot" like stuff around the pellets that keeps them from tumbling.

any assistance is greatly appreciated.

side note, nothing has been added to the system in the last 8 weeks. and at this point in time the corals doesn't seem to be affected.
I'm very sorry to hear what happened to some of your corals. You truly have an amazing tank and wish you the best for a full recovery.

Seems like the clumping is inevitable and problematic. Very common and hasn't been fixed yet from what I've heard. Have you tried a fuge for phos/nitrate control?

Last edited by SaltwaterAdict; 08/28/2011 at 07:24 AM.
SaltwaterAdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2011, 07:39 AM   #186
SaltwaterAdict
Moved On

I would really consider look into the brs dosing pumps if I were you. You don't need 3 dosing pumps. IME For the money it would be well worth it considering how much you have in corals. I tried the aqualifter and were not anywhere as accurate as a higher end dosing pump. I don't know maybe you had better luck than I did with them. lol I found the safest way to run them is with a controller, like the reefkeeper lite. hth

Unread 08/28/2011, 07:43 AM   #187
SaltwaterAdict
Moved On

Quote:
I had the camera out last time I did a water change and thought that I would TRY to snap some top down shots. All photos was taken with a standard 18 to 200mm lens.

These pics say it all man!! You definitely got what it takes!!

Do your corals ever sting eachother and need to be moved or do you just let them do their own thing?

Unread 08/29/2011, 07:15 PM   #188
sweet ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterAdict View Post
I'm very sorry to hear what happened to some of your corals. You truly have an amazing tank and wish you the best for a full recovery.

Seems like the clumping is inevitable and problematic. Very common and hasn't been fixed yet from what I've heard. Have you tried a fuge for phos/nitrate control?
Thanks for the kind words SaltwaterAdict!!! Yes am currently running a fuge as well as GAC & GFO for phos/nitrate control? I will give bio pellets a try again as i've had success with them as well, maybe this guys just have a life span.

Quote:
I would really consider look into the brs dosing pumps if I were you. You don't need 3 dosing pumps. IME For the money it would be well worth it considering how much you have in corals. I tried the aqualifter and were not anywhere as accurate as a higher end dosing pump. I don't know maybe you had better luck than I did with them. lol I found the safest way to run them is with a controller, like the reefkeeper lite. hth
I really can't complain about the aqualifter as it has done the job fairly well for me. I also have a TLF ball valve to adjust the flow as well as a timer. I do have a reef keeper lite as part of the system but opt to use a digital timer as it's easier to adjust on the fly. on a side note I have not ruled out getting an actual dosing system like Profilux stand alone dosing system vs just the BRS dosing system. I just figure it's only going to be a couple of hundred more why not get the one that I like when the time come. again this is just me. I know a lot of people using the BRS with no issue. this is just a personal choice!

Quote:
These pics say it all man!! You definitely got what it takes!!

Do your corals ever sting eachother and need to be moved or do you just let them do their own thing?
Yes they do sting each other, it depends on the coral if it's something that I like and is fairly small then I would move it otherwise I'll let it be. I do have a handful of them that have encrusted over each other.

Unread 08/29/2011, 07:28 PM   #189
Acronic
The Fifth Master

4 pumps on one plug was the reason I chose the GHL stand-alone over the BRS pumps, also its just plain sexy

I have lost all concept of reality and live in an SPS world now.
Acronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2011, 10:37 PM   #190
sweet ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acronic View Post
4 pumps on one plug was the reason I chose the GHL stand-alone over the BRS pumps, also its just plain sexy
I completely agree with you on both points!

Unread 08/30/2011, 03:14 PM   #191
agcneves
Registered Member

Your corals are beautiful and they show a lot of health.
The pictures are perfect
Congratulations!!!

Current Tank Info: 1700 liters (445 G), Tunze and Reef Octupus Skimmers, 6 MP40 Vortech, Zeovit Reactor, light 8 T5 and 4 MH, Balling powered
agcneves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2011, 11:27 PM   #192
sweet ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agcneves View Post
Your corals are beautiful and they show a lot of health.
The pictures are perfect
Congratulations!!!
thanks for the kind words agcneves!!!

Unread 09/01/2011, 08:38 PM   #193
sweet ride
Registered Member

As the system recovers I would like to share a handful of pics of the corals that are starting to recover.

Unread 09/01/2011, 10:36 PM   #194
Acronic
The Fifth Master

lookin good, great turn around

I have lost all concept of reality and live in an SPS world now.
Acronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2011, 11:55 AM   #195
sweet ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acronic View Post
lookin good, great turn around
Thanks Acronic! I still have my fingers crossed that the rest will follow suit.

Unread 09/03/2011, 03:35 PM   #196
SaltwaterAdict
Moved On

Quote:
I really can't complain about the aqualifter as it has done the job fairly well for me. I also have a TLF ball valve to adjust the flow as well as a timer. I do have a reef keeper lite as part of the system but opt to use a digital timer as it's easier to adjust on the fly. on a side note I have not ruled out getting an actual dosing system like Profilux stand alone dosing system vs just the BRS dosing system. I just figure it's only going to be a couple of hundred more why not get the one that I like when the time come. again this is just me. I know a lot of people using the BRS with no issue. this is just a personal choice!
I agree, they both serve their purpose. My point is it's safer/easier in the long run to go with a pump which is more accurate. The BRS put's out 1ml/min. Say you want 60ml dispensed, all you would need to do is set the timer for 60min or space it out 30min and 30min. I'm sure the other all in one dosing pumps do the same. Very simple!

Quote:
Yes they do sting each other, it depends on the coral if it's something that I like and is fairly small then I would move it otherwise I'll let it be. I do have a handful of them that have encrusted over each other.
that's good to know thanks

If they make contact do they sometimes call it a truce or will one coral kill the other coral or maybe just the tips?

Last edited by SaltwaterAdict; 09/03/2011 at 03:45 PM.
Unread 09/03/2011, 08:23 PM   #197
sweet ride
Registered Member

Quote:
that's good to know thanks

If they make contact do they sometimes call it a truce or will one coral kill the other coral or maybe just the tips?
It depends on were the two meets, usually the stronger coral will encrust over the other. I have some that have encrusted over in the middle of the branch the the bottom and tip of the coral are still both alive!

Unread 09/03/2011, 08:31 PM   #198
Pallobi
CTARS, BRS & OSRAS Member

your pics are incredible, as well as your tank... very nice!

Unread 09/04/2011, 05:51 PM   #199
REEF SMAC
Registered Member

Love your tank. Even when it's not at it's best, it's still amazing.
Your pics always rock.

REEF SMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2011, 06:23 PM   #200
extoker
Registered Member

Nice tank/pics! Thanks for sharing.

extoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquascaping, corals, peninsula, reef, sps