Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/15/2010, 07:41 AM   #76
Eurobeaner
Registered Member

i had an interesting issue....

i had a rather noisy dry side. i got me some bearings(ended up being ceramic after all), put them in, put it on.... 10x louder than before(not nasty knocking loud, just a louder wirring sound). i was mad. let it run on full blast all night to see if it would quiet down, nope. woke up this morning, took it apart 2 more times... nothing looked out of place. so i switched one of my 3 washers from one side, to under the spring washer (testing something) same noise.

then i took it off and let it run when NOT attached to the glass. it was silent. put it on the glass, noisy. hmmmmm. so i started to move the wet side ever so slightly away from the glass, it got quieter. so i remembered when i first set it up and measured my glass, i set it to one thickness more than i measured my glass to because the wet side fell off twice. started her back up at the correct thickness, viola! no noise. i guess the increased magnet force pulling the dry side motor was enough to put stress on the bearings to cause noise. phew. user error. now i can enjoy my vortech finally!

Eurobeaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2010, 02:54 PM   #77
hlsooner
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion Eurobeaner. I just replaced my Vortech bearings with high grade ABEC5 hybrid ceramic bearings and I too now have more noise than before. I will increase the spacer distance tonight and hopefully have the same results as you.

hlsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2010, 12:02 PM   #78
ducatimikep
Needs Moar Cowbell

Can you post a link or picture to which bearing tool you are using?
Thanks

ducatimikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2010, 09:22 AM   #79
drdoolittle
Registered Member

i just changed the bearings one one of my vortech. The noise dropped alot, but its still louder than my other pumps. I must have bought a wrong bearings from ebay. I'm planning on buying other bearings just to try it out.

drdoolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2010, 09:36 AM   #80
dahenley
Registered Member

i will say that a Vortech isnt as quiet as a internal pump like a Tunze or MJ...
The reason is because the motor noise isnt muffled by the water and tank. its on the outside so it will produce some noise....
the pumps are great and move a lot of water, but if you have the ability to put them on the back of a tank, or behind something then you will be much happier.... Who knows, if they come out with a different housing that breaths and has a 2nd cover to muffle the sound, then it would be super sweet!

240display, reef in progress

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
dahenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2010, 10:11 AM   #81
drdoolittle
Registered Member

When i say louder than my other pumps.. i meant to say. Louder than my other vortech pumps. After replacing the bearings, i placed two pumps side by side, without the wet side. One is my newer vortech and the other is the newly replaced bearing pump. I then powered both of them with the same settings. The vortech with new bearings was still louder than the my other vortech. The noise was less prior to replacement, but could be improve. Thats why im thinking on looking for better bearings.

I agree with your analogy about the internal pumps being much quiter, i have had tunzes pumps on my previous set up and love it. With all the hype about the vortech, i wanted to try it out for my new set up. But keeping most of my tunzes just incase the performance or noise does not meet my expectation.

drdoolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2010, 07:21 PM   #82
RedHeckle
Registered Member

Thanks for the update!

Can you provide the details on the bearings that didn't seem to work out, so we (I) can avoid buying those?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdoolittle View Post
i just changed the bearings one one of my vortech. The noise dropped alot, but its still louder than my other pumps. I must have bought a wrong bearings from ebay. I'm planning on buying other bearings just to try it out.

Don't let them steal 2nd base!
http://ww5.komen.org/

Current Tank Info: 90g w/30g sump, Solar T5 4x54w, BM NAC7
RedHeckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2010, 07:25 PM   #83
dahenley
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeckle View Post
Thanks for the update!

Can you provide the details on the bearings that didn't seem to work out, so we (I) can avoid buying those?

Thanks!
I would wait till he gets new bearings. It could just be out of balance, or something.
if he replaces the bearings and the noise goes down to factory, then you have an answer. if the noise doesnt change with a different brand of bearings, then its something else.....

just a thought.

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
Unread 10/28/2010, 07:50 AM   #84
Rickyrooz1
Acropora Nut

Nice fix!

Current Tank Info: SPS Dominated
Rickyrooz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2010, 12:58 AM   #85
Saltyfin
Registered Member

soory for the long gap in response time...just stared a new job

here it is guys the write up it fairly simple close to what the mp40 is but the only difference is that the base plate will need to be cut off and when you done reglued.

If your worried about cosmetics need not do the repair yourself as your going to do some damage to the casing

Fist you need to peel the sticker off ( once you do this it will void your warranty )

then you will see the four screws that hold the motor to the shell i removed these first when i was taking it apart but found out that the plastic on the other side just doesnt come off so easily

I would recommend leaving those on. First your going to need to cut off the plastic cover on the side that touches the glass. I used a kitchen knife for this because i can flex it a bend it without worrying about it shattering like an x-acto or box cutter might.

http://images9.fotki.com/v1618/photo...MG_0355-vi.jpg

now you remove the 3 motor screws. I used a torks t15 but i believe its a 2.5 or 2 allen key

be careful with the power cable as it is flimsy and the wires are thin. Just shimmy the motor out being careful not to pull on the cable.

First remove the magnet from the motor this is the hard part, you might need a second person for this part, what your going to need is the allen key on one side and have someone hold the motor and useing a flat head screw driver hold the shaft on the oppisite side of the magnet as you unscrew the magnet off. There might be what you think is debris on the magnet whatever you do don't clean it off it will help center the magnet upon reassembly

then your going to remove the 3 screws that hold the 2 motor end caps together

then you pry the cap off ( the side with out the power cable) which shouldnt be to hard to reveil the internals and the first of two bearings. you will cafefully pull the center section which is the magnet and the bearings. (careful with the magnet that part is proprietary and will not have a replacement)

carefully remove the two bearings (sorry i dont have a picture of this procedure as i got kind of angry that i couldnt remove it easily)

this is what i did i had a cheap fork laying around i bent one of the prongs out of the way and put the fork between the bearing and the magnet, being careful not to hit the magnet i slowly rocked the bearing back and forth and it slowly came off. The bearings aren't pressed on or anything its just and exact fit. You can also try the rocking motion with just using yout fingers. I could after i took it off the first time.

Once your done just replace the bearings and start the reassembly process. When i took mine apart i noticed there are 2 washers and a spring washer at the bottom for anyone that drops it or it sticks the the magnet. the order is washer, washer , spring.

when its time to put it back together find where the plastic fits together best and using a little bit of epoxy( i used a two part) and a toothpick dab and cap it and your done

Saltyfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2010, 09:17 AM   #86
dahenley
Registered Member

so, how does it work?

Unread 11/04/2010, 07:52 PM   #87
Saltyfin
Registered Member

works great.. you should have heard it before my gen-x pcx pump was quieter then this thing... not silent. im running three mp10s and by far is the quietest one out of the three

Unread 11/06/2010, 05:58 PM   #88
christyf5
Registered Member

just busted the magnet on mine. so much for that

christyf5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2010, 06:20 PM   #89
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
just busted the magnet on mine. so much for that
Bummer...how did you manage that? drop it?

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2010, 06:24 PM   #90
christyf5
Registered Member

Twisted it in my hand as I was getting the screwdriver in between the bearing and shaft/main body, must have had a weak spot as a chunk came off. It was a gen 1 so who knows, maybe the magnet wasn't all that great.

Then after that I dropped it. Definitely toast.

Unread 11/10/2010, 02:07 AM   #91
Saltyfin
Registered Member

if its a small chip it will still work as long as your not missing a big chunk. that would throw off the balance

Unread 11/10/2010, 07:02 AM   #92
Porcupinepuffer
Registered Member

I would honestly REALLY avoid trying to put a screwdriver between the magnet and bearing at all costs. It's not worth it as it's so easy to chip off a small, or large piece of the magnet. I actually did the same sort of thing, I chipped a really tiny chunk off, but it didn't affect the performance... For those who do not have pullers, do what I did, as it works like a charm; clamp the bearing between a vice, with the impeller/magnet assembly hanging down(put some soft blankets underneath to catch it, for if it falls!). Find a socket or punch that'll fit on the shaft. With small taps, hit it until the shaft pushes out... If you don't have a vice, you can probably try vice grips. vice grips would probably work better as they would grab right around the bearing more rigid then a bench vice... I did this with both my bearings. It made it very easy to NOT break important parts.
Also, don't try and clamp the bearing too hard, as you could end up just squeezing the bearing harder to the shaft making it even more difficult to get the bearing moving off the shaft. Try and clamp it just hard enough to hold it for the little taps it takes to get the bearing moving off.

Current Tank Info: 120 AGA
Porcupinepuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2010, 05:44 PM   #93
kma408
Registered Member

thanks, I will replace 2 of my mp40w.

kma408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2010, 03:46 PM   #94
RedHeckle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupinepuffer View Post
I would honestly REALLY avoid trying to put a screwdriver between the magnet and bearing at all costs. It's not worth it as it's so easy to chip off a small, or large piece of the magnet. I actually did the same sort of thing, I chipped a really tiny chunk off, but it didn't affect the performance... For those who do not have pullers, do what I did, as it works like a charm; clamp the bearing between a vice, with the impeller/magnet assembly hanging down(put some soft blankets underneath to catch it, for if it falls!). Find a socket or punch that'll fit on the shaft. With small taps, hit it until the shaft pushes out... If you don't have a vice, you can probably try vice grips. vice grips would probably work better as they would grab right around the bearing more rigid then a bench vice... I did this with both my bearings. It made it very easy to NOT break important parts.
Also, don't try and clamp the bearing too hard, as you could end up just squeezing the bearing harder to the shaft making it even more difficult to get the bearing moving off the shaft. Try and clamp it just hard enough to hold it for the little taps it takes to get the bearing moving off.
Awesome tip and "thinking outside the box"!!! Now I just have to try it!

Don't let them steal 2nd base!
http://ww5.komen.org/

Current Tank Info: 90g w/30g sump, Solar T5 4x54w, BM NAC7
RedHeckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2010, 10:10 PM   #95
christyf5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupinepuffer View Post
Dang I wish you'd posted this before I had my little "mishap"

Anyway, some very lovely person sent me a spare dryside they had and my pump is working again. Bonus: the "new" dryside has good bearings and is nice and quiet

Unread 11/21/2010, 03:45 PM   #96
deepee33
Registered Member

hello new here how are you all
i have a question about the bearings for the mp10 ,
what are you using for replacement?
i took mine out and measured them it came out 7 x 15 x 5 , which is different to the
ones recommended here. also i cant find 7x15x5 size anywhere and seems to be an unusual measurement . has anyone else encountered this ?
am i measuring wrong ?

deepee33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2010, 01:20 PM   #97
bkztrini465
Registered Member

Also curious about what bearing is needed for the MP10...going to attempt this on mine.

bkztrini465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2010, 08:55 PM   #98
Stumped
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkztrini465 View Post
Also curious about what bearing is needed for the MP10...going to attempt this on mine.
I would like to know this as well. The dry side on my MP10 has become intolerably loud and my only other option is to purchase a new dry side for $100 so I'd rather try this first.

Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2010, 07:54 AM   #99
CJO
Registered Member

Have you guys read through this thread before asking, specifically post 48?

CJ

CJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2010, 12:05 AM   #100
Stumped
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post
Have you guys read through this thread before asking, specifically post 48?

CJ
I read through the thread and that post, but he doesn't follow up on the success (or failure possibly?) of his swap. Also I'm also assuming the MP10 would use two different bearings similar to the MP40, so I kind of wanted input from someone that successfully did it on exactly what size I should buy as I'd be ordering online and want to get it right before I place my order.

Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote