Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/18/2009, 10:44 PM   #1
jmadden93
Registered Member

Skimmer optimizing question (bubble size)

I've heard that to optimize your protein skimmer you want smaller bubbles rather than larger ones. How does one achieve this?

I've read that using a stronger pump can make smaller bubbles & create more turbulence in the skimmer. Is this true?

Any other tips you may have on how to tweak my skimmer would be appreciated!

Thanks!

jmadden93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2009, 10:46 PM   #2
Almondsaz
Premium Member

Another way is to use the "mesh mod" on the impeller and that assists in making microfine bubbles. Also, depends on your skimmer...what kind do you have?

Almondsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2009, 11:46 PM   #3
DC_40gallon
Registered Member

I find that the peak flow needs to at the base of the skimmer neck. This gives time for the bubbles to build up which means they get smaller before getting to the collection cup and by the time they blow over into the collection cup they are thick foam due to being so small.

So think of it this way. The longer it takes to get into the collection cup the smaller the bubbles.

DC_40gallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2009, 11:49 PM   #4
DC_40gallon
Registered Member

Tweak tour skimmer to where the top of the flow is in the middle of the neck of your skimmer ( just below the base of the collection cup).

You will think it's too weak and that it will never make it to the
collection cup. Walk away an check it a few hours later and you will see that your skimmer collection cup has thick foam bouncing around in the neck.

DC_40gallon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
protein skimmer, skimmer