Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/16/2017, 03:32 PM   #1
Weld and Water
Registered Member

Need some advice on my tank stand

I have a jbj 45 gallon rimless cube aquarium. I built the stand myself and it was perfectly level and perfect. The awuarium sits in my basement which is a cement floor with carpet over top. Over the course of the last month im assuming the tank and stand settled into the carpet and it is slightly unlevel by 1/8”-1/4”. The tanks footprint is 26.5”x21”x19”. The tank itself sits flat on the stand. Should i shim it or leave it and if i do shim how would i go about doing so? Do i shim the side thats low and then shim the small gaps until its flush again.
Thanks in adnced!

Unread 11/16/2017, 04:47 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Shim the stand at the floor.. or just leave it if it doesn't bother you/doesn't effect the function of the tank..

Unread 11/16/2017, 05:20 PM   #3
Weld and Water
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Shim the stand at the floor.. or just leave it if it doesn't bother you/doesn't effect the function of the tank..
I cant really notice it at all. When the pumps and everything is running you would never be able to tell. I just dont want catastrophic failure of the tank if that is a factor. I just noticed that i put it on the tack strip of my carpet so it leans forward 1/16” aswell. Oh boy i made a bonehead move lol

Unread 11/16/2017, 05:45 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Not an issue and if it doesn't bother you just leave it..

Unread 11/16/2017, 05:46 PM   #5
Weld and Water
Registered Member

Alrighty thank you for the advise

Unread 11/16/2017, 09:16 PM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

The only issue I see is really your tank should not change much or not at all from what it was on fill up, any carpet compression should have all happened right then and there, so if it's changed, I'd maybe mark the low and see if it continues to change.

That little bit out is not a big deal though, but if you ever do shim drain tank first.
Maybe post a pic of your stand

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 09:57 PM   #7
Weld and Water
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
The only issue I see is really your tank should not change much or not at all from what it was on fill up, any carpet compression should have all happened right then and there, so if it's changed, I'd maybe mark the low and see if it continues to change.

That little bit out is not a big deal though, but if you ever do shim drain tank first.
Maybe post a pic of your stand
To be honest with you it probobally was unlevel like this upon initial fill up its just so slight i coupdnt tell it. The only way i saw it this time was my clownfish was swimming near the surface at feeding time and it caught my eye but still hard to tell its there. Ill get a picture up in the morning. Its a completely flat bottom stand and the tank sits flush to the stand

Unread 11/16/2017, 10:00 PM   #8
davocean
Registered Member

Well then your probably fine if it was that way from start

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 10:02 PM   #9
Weld and Water
Registered Member

My goal is to avoid a seal busting. I trust you guys if you say it will be fine. Thanks again

Unread 11/17/2017, 11:36 AM   #10
sde1500
Registered Member

Going on almost 2 years on my used tank, there isn't a level floor in my old house. One front corner has a little bit higher water level than the other, no issue yet. Doubt there will be as long as the base is well supported.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2017, 11:42 AM   #11
Weld and Water
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde1500 View Post
Going on almost 2 years on my used tank, there isn't a level floor in my old house. One front corner has a little bit higher water level than the other, no issue yet. Doubt there will be as long as the base is well supported.
I feel pretty good with the way the tank sits with the level being ever so off. The base is fully touching and i built the stand to hold like 2 cars haha so it should be good

Tags
help needed, tank advice