Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/15/2010, 05:53 PM   #726
Scma
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
Just VC did this to your tank? I started last night and hope for the same results.
Yes! Do not expect it to go away immediately. It took months for mine to get down to what it's at now, but worth the wait! It would not appear to kill existing algae, but keeps new algae from growing. A couple times a week I would go in and manually remove as much algae as I could, including scrubing it away with a toothbrush. That seemed to make all the difference.

Good luck

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pufferpunk View Post
If you read the chart I just posted, you will see the amounts I dose. I have been adding 1 tsp = 4,500mg of Asorbic acid to my tank, 2x/day. look at the concentration of VC in the products you are asking about & tell me if you think it's worth the $$$?
I was not asking about vitamin c tablets. I was asking if dosing the vitamin c products for saltwater would give you the same results as the tablets. Products such as the Kent Marine, Brightwells, Warner Marine etc.

A friend of mine tried using kent marine and said she noticed a difference in coral color and polyp extension. She had to stop using it after almost two weeks, however, because it messed with her pH and KH. Apparently it is not buffered.

Scma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2010, 06:53 PM   #727
wickedfish
Moved On

I was rtunning the skimmer but it went haywire it looked like a a capucinno with all foam and had to turn it off the foam got 2 feet high when I noticed it. i turned it on today all foam but not overflowing no skimate trippy. I dosed 2 tsp yesterday and also some amino acid a few minutes after. How do you avoid the foamy reaction?

wickedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2010, 07:01 PM   #728
wickedfish
Moved On

Yeah I am over dosing I need to split it and dose it 2 time a day...dang it I hate when I skim through and miss the real important part sorry Vitamin C demi gods. I will see what develops.

Unread 08/15/2010, 10:15 PM   #729
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilBoy View Post
I was not asking about vitamin c tablets. I was asking if dosing the vitamin c products for saltwater would give you the same results as the tablets. Products such as the Kent Marine, Brightwells, Warner Marine etc.
I don't see why they wouldn't but I'd have to buy a bottle/month.

Pufferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2010, 10:17 PM   #730
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Your skimmer is collecting all the material & extra bacteria produced by the VC feeding it. This bacteria is what is eating the excess nutrients = nitrate. Try to dial down your skimmer. YOU MUST KEEP SKIMMING!

Unread 08/16/2010, 10:36 AM   #731
wickedfish
Moved On

Skimming resumed last night all normal a bit more head than normal but I am getting the green stuff again. I will resume dosing tonight.

Unread 08/19/2010, 07:55 PM   #732
Jeff
Registered Member

I am going back on VC for the new tank Puffy.

IWNFT343F

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 20
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2010, 09:37 PM   #733
wickedfish
Moved On

Still have foamy skimmer water cut my dose in half eliminated the sock.

Unread 08/19/2010, 11:18 PM   #734
Pufferpunk
Moved On

I figured that Jeff. Are you keeping your bottle then? I've got extra.
Wicked, Can you dial back the skimmer to skim thick?

Unread 08/20/2010, 08:28 AM   #735
Jeff
Registered Member

I gave it to Andy. I could use a bottle if you have an extra. I'm planning on using Tropic Marin Bio-Actif salt which, I believe, has some organic carbon in it. I may go really low dose this time at the beginning.
The skimmer I am planning will be able to keep up and is fully adjustable.

IWNFT343F

Unread 08/20/2010, 06:43 PM   #736
wickedfish
Moved On

I have a lame-o skimmer it skims rather well, but its limited in options it's one of those wet or dry guys you have to pull the tube higher to be more wet so are you saying more wet or more dry Puff?

Unread 08/22/2010, 09:57 PM   #737
Pufferpunk
Moved On

More dry will prevent the skimmer from overflowing.

Unread 08/23/2010, 09:45 AM   #738
CLINTOS
Moved On

Was thinking of starting the vitamin C supplement

I have a 29G using prime treated tap water. it's a skimmerless and refugeless tank that is doing ok/great. I just want a little extra color and growth

Has anyone ran the VC without a skimmer/refuge and using tap water?

any suggestion's on a starting dose? I'm assuming it might be less then a tank with a skimmer

How is the Vc added to the tank? is it premixed or just dumped in dry?

CLINTOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2010, 09:52 AM   #739
Genetics
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLINTOS View Post

any suggestion's on a starting dose? I'm assuming it might be less then a tank with a skimmer

Its not a great idea to add organics without a skimmer. Otherwise you are just increasing the bioload and will have to possibly compensate with increased water changes.

I used 0.1ppm and had great results with my softies.

Current Tank Info: 15g Waterbox cube
Genetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2010, 09:54 AM   #740
Russ750
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLINTOS View Post
Was thinking of starting the vitamin C supplement

I have a 29G using prime treated tap water. it's a skimmerless and refugeless tank that is doing ok/great. I just want a little extra color and growth

As I understand, VC is a carbon source meaning it will feed bacteria and thus deplete oxygen levels in the water (like dosing vodka or sugar would). For this reason I don't think it is recommended to dose it on a skimmerless tank, unless you are providing extra aeration by other means (airstones or something).

Unread 08/23/2010, 10:21 AM   #741
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Yes, there was a fellow I know who dosed VC in his nano w/o a skimmer. The entire system crashed & he lost almost everything. He has many very $$$, high-end corals in there.

Unread 08/23/2010, 10:24 AM   #742
ducktales
Registered Member

So right now, I'm dosing Vitamin C, Vodka and MB7. Is this combo Ok for a Mixed Reef? I'm hoping this will help with my bubble algae issue. It's not bad but I don't want any, lol

ducktales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2010, 10:25 AM   #743
Pufferpunk
Moved On

I have never dosed more than just the VC.

Unread 08/23/2010, 11:11 AM   #744
Russ750
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducktales View Post
So right now, I'm dosing Vitamin C, Vodka and MB7. Is this combo Ok for a Mixed Reef? I'm hoping this will help with my bubble algae issue. It's not bad but I don't want any, lol
I am doing something very similar. I basically use 1/3 of Puffy's recommended amount of VC, and 2/3 recommended (per rk mag iirc) amount of vodka per gallon. I have been doing this for around six months now without any negative issues. If you choose to experiment with it, just do so very slowly, keep a close eye on things, and keep nsw handy.

Unread 08/23/2010, 10:13 PM   #745
CLINTOS
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetics View Post
Its not a great idea to add organics without a skimmer. Otherwise you are just increasing the bioload and will have to possibly compensate with increased water changes.

I used 0.1ppm and had great results with my softies.
Do u think there is a a small chance that I could add 1/8th dose with positive results under trial condition's?

considering I have only a small perc and algae blenny in 29G no refuge/skimmer but healthy tank and 20% weekly water changes

Unread 08/23/2010, 11:01 PM   #746
Pufferpunk
Moved On

The fellow I mentioned was dosing at 100ppm, to get rid of zoapox. I think you'd be OK dosing 1/8 tsp in there.

Unread 08/24/2010, 07:02 AM   #747
Genetics
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducktales View Post
Yes it should be a fine combination. I dosed vodka, vitamin c, and amino acids without issue in a mixed reef.

Clintos, yes smaller amounts may not cause issues the larger doses did. I would watch for signs of buildup but 0.1ppm is small enough with those water changes.

Current Tank Info: 15g Waterbox cube
Genetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2010, 02:06 PM   #748
Jeff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ750 View Post
I am doing something very similar. I basically use 1/3 of Puffy's recommended amount of VC, and 2/3 recommended (per rk mag iirc) amount of vodka per gallon. I have been doing this for around six months now without any negative issues. If you choose to experiment with it, just do so very slowly, keep a close eye on things, and keep nsw handy.
I did the same kind of thing with VC and sugar and had success. As long as you don't add too much too quick, it works.

IWNFT343F

Unread 08/24/2010, 04:58 PM   #749
CLINTOS
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetics View Post
Yes it should be a fine combination. I dosed vodka, vitamin c, and amino acids without issue in a mixed reef.

Clintos, yes smaller amounts may not cause issues the larger doses did. I would watch for signs of buildup but 0.1ppm is small enough with those water changes.
thanks

Unread 08/24/2010, 06:36 PM   #750
Ohio
Registered Member

Ok, I am new to RC and was trying to determine what to do about my zoas. I was referred to this thread. It took me FOREVER to find the beginning so I could be sure this would help w/my zoa issue.

So I browsed through this extremely long thread and just want to be sure that I have the important info before dosing.

I need to dose to 30ppm with the supplement from iherb 2x daily for my issue. Then back off to 5ppm once the zoas look healthy again. Is the a product from LFS that would be sutable until I receive my order. I am afraid that I will lose my zoas in the meantime? Is there anything else that I should do for them along with VC to improve their chances of recovery?

-Snorkeling the reef around the Florida Keys changed my life! I will always own a reef tank now, so that I may experience that feeling everyday of my life.

Current Tank Info: 120g long reef, 30g sump/refugium, 4 AI Sol Super Blue LED lights, Blue Hippo Tang, Yellow Tang, Pair WSM, Flame Angel, Square Spot Anthias, RBTA, 1 Mandarin, Skunk and Fire Cleaner Shrimps
Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote