Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/21/2016, 10:13 AM   #1576
jason2459
Registered Member

I need to shove the airline back up into the skimmer cup which totally prevents that cover issue. I've always had that before but again a recent change in dosing limewater separate from ATO had allowed me to remove the CO2 scrubber. So, I temporarily just removed all the tubing from the air intake. Have to route that back up.

The siphon break at the drain is a good idea. I totally did that to myself. I had to really shove that into the drain. Thinking I was preventing any of it from popping out and draining onto the floor. That would have been better as anything that would be pumped onto the floor would eventually make its way to the drain.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank

Last edited by jason2459; 01/21/2016 at 10:25 AM.
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2016, 10:56 AM   #1577
jason2459
Registered Member

This is what's temporarily been removed and need to be put back in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
I finally got around to setting up the T to the collection cup. One side pulls in air that passes through my ozone generator and CO2 scrubber and the other pulls in air from the collection cup.

This does a few things for me. On the ozone/scrubber side it cuts down on the air drawn from those two. The ozone generator when running, which it hasn't been, doesn't need a lot of air pulled through it to be effective.

The scrubber I don't want a lot of air going through it as it would exhaust the soda lime a lot faster making it more expensive which wasn't what I wanted to do otherwise I'd just punch a whole in the wall and pull from outside. I also don't need or want to increase the pH that much at all. I just wanted to establish an easy, cheap, no risk of outside pollutants, and effective way to increase pH steadily above 7.9. It's done all of that so far.

The second line going to the lid and into the collection cup does a few things as well. First is it draws in smelly air so it can't escape which is even worse now that I don't clean my collection cup much at all anymore with the swabbie installed.

Second is it pulls in that smelly air but also if my ozone is running would pull back in any residual ozone not allowing it to escape potentially creating a health risk. It does require any other opening in the lid to be closed off. This way I don't need to worry about paying escaped air through carbon which could still allow ozone to pass through if it's channeling or the carbon is exhausted.

Third that air line will shut down skimming and reduce the chance of an over flow as it sucks that overflowing water back down into the skimmer. This could happen if day the drain line clogs up and somehow I don't notice it or I'm away for a week or the skimmer goes volcano foam crazy.

The avast swabbie lid has a lot of little holes. I closed them up with gorilla tape and had to drill out on so a 3/8 line would fit in. 1/4 wouldn't allow enough air or water if needed draw and could clog up easier.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 01/21/2016, 11:29 AM   #1578
jason2459
Registered Member

AND Now my neighborhood is with out power.

Gotta love reeftronics for these notifications. Evidently fusion still thinks things are fine. My apex can't send out a notification it's down. I need to setup a UPS for my DSL router so then the Apex can. I have the 12v Adapter for the apex and a UPS that one of the Energy Bars are plugged into. The 12v Adapter is plugged into a wall outlet. So if power goes out the Apex will know and alert out. But I need to get that other UPS going.

At least I have the battery backup for the gyre going my tank is still getting circulation for the next 36 hours or so.

Unread 01/21/2016, 09:20 PM   #1579
jason2459
Registered Member

Power was out for about 4.5 hours today. My tank hates me about now.

Unread 01/22/2016, 11:11 AM   #1580
jason2459
Registered Member

Getting things ordered for a "Big 3" test kit shootout. So far I've got the Triton kit ready to go, Saliftert, API (alk/cal only), and just ordered all three for Nyos. I might do AWT one more time with this and will get all three with Elos and call it good I think.

Unread 01/22/2016, 06:44 PM   #1581
jason2459
Registered Member

Woohooo. Both of those KP Aquatics starfish did survive. I finally have a definite visual of both at the same time.

One is definitely more colorful then the other.

Unread 01/25/2016, 07:45 PM   #1582
jason2459
Registered Member

After getting this little urchin back at the end of November.
Quote:
And I spy a baby urchin
Has grown quite well in just a couple months.

Unread 01/25/2016, 09:41 PM   #1583
jason2459
Registered Member

From my New Salt mix brute
Temp: 77.2 (Hanna handheld meter)
Salinity: 53mS pinpoint probe and 35ppt veegee refractometer

Alk:10.4dkh Salifert
Ca: 410 ppm Salifert
Mg: 1320ppm Salifert

Unread 01/25/2016, 10:27 PM   #1584
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:

I did a quick set of parameter checks. Over the past several days the salinity has slowly climbed back up and right now at 33ppt.

Nitrates ~.2

Calcium: a low 380

Alk: a very high 14 and probably why the LPS are not happy at all.

Phosphates: 4ppb converts to 0.012ppm
Salinity is a hair over 34ppt now
Calcium is up to 400
Alk down at 13

I'll get that salinity slowly higher back to 35ppt over the next couple weeks through water changes and the minimal evap that occurs. During that time Alk should also drop very slowly with those two as well.

I do see a bit of cyano here and there. Not surprised at all about that. I was expecting it as soon as I got back. Almost a week of carbon dosing with no export (skimming or the normal daily water changes) I'm sure did not help at all. Now to see if the dinoflagellates come back for a bit as well. As before I will do nothing but watch.

The cyano growth is very minimal right now. This little rock is the worse spot and is covered in it. It's nothing like that anywhere else. At least not yet.

Unread 01/26/2016, 10:34 PM   #1585
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Getting things ordered for a "Big 3" test kit shootout. So far I've got the Triton kit ready to go, Saliftert, API (alk/cal only), and just ordered all three for Nyos. I might do AWT one more time with this and will get all three with Elos and call it good I think.
All three nyos kits are in now. I'll stop by my LFS to see if they can get the Elos kits in. I don't think they carry anything other then API and Salifert normally but I know they sell a lot of Coralvue stuff and Coralvue is a distributor for elos if I'm not mistaken.

All I'll need to get after that is the AWT kit and the big 3 shoot out can commence.

Unread 01/28/2016, 10:31 PM   #1586
jason2459
Registered Member

The colorful one was on the move quite a bit tonight.

Unread 01/28/2016, 11:27 PM   #1587
jason2459
Registered Member

Quick check in on calcium and Alk.

Calcium up a bit more to 420 and Alk down a bit more to 12dkh. Heading back in the right direction.

Unread 02/01/2016, 08:09 PM   #1588
jason2459
Registered Member

Little cyano patch is still there but hasn't taken hold anywhere else yet.

Unread 02/03/2016, 09:32 PM   #1589
jason2459
Registered Member

Quick parameter check

Alk: 12
Ca: 420

No change there.

Salinity is a touch under 35ppt via my veegee and at around 34.7-34.9 via Apex.

Unread 02/04/2016, 05:18 PM   #1590
jason2459
Registered Member

Big 3 Shootout is coming together and will be done in the next couple weeks.

Alk Tests:
AWT (Aquamedic Water Testing)
API
Salifert
Redsea
Nyos
Elos
Hanna Checker

Ca Tests:
AWT
Triton
API
Salifert
Redsea
Nyos
Elos

Mg Tests:
AWT
Triton
Salifert
RedSea
Nyos
Elos

Unread 02/06/2016, 01:49 PM   #1591
jason2459
Registered Member

That urchin is getting big and is in a spot I can get a good view of it during the day.

Unread 02/06/2016, 09:27 PM   #1592
jason2459
Registered Member

Did a quick alk test figuring it was getting closer to 11 and I was right. Slowly dropping from that 14dkh spike. Didn't do any other tests tonight.

The two frags of sticks still don't look good. The frog spawn looks terrible but surprised its not dead so it may make it. The gorgonian actually looks fine now. It still has a couple bald spots. Everything else looks good.

Unread 02/08/2016, 11:39 AM   #1593
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Hope you can get it all worked out.

Unread 02/08/2016, 01:56 PM   #1594
jason2459
Registered Member

Thanks. I've got no worries as things are coming around.

Unread 02/08/2016, 10:39 PM   #1595
jason2459
Registered Member

Here's that gorgonian looking much better

That frogspawn looking pathetic

Fiji Leather looking awesome

I was keeping track of that small patch of cyano and it was looking pail and thin yesterday

And tonight got tore up by one of the bigger starfish sprinting across the top of it

And here's the best shot I think I've gotten of that minimax I always forget I have.

Unread 02/11/2016, 08:42 AM   #1596
jason2459
Registered Member

Pictures for the big 3 shootout write up coming up

Unread 02/11/2016, 08:44 AM   #1597
jason2459
Registered Member

Unread 02/11/2016, 08:50 AM   #1598
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Where are you posting the writeup??

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2016, 08:58 AM   #1599
jason2459
Registered Member

Unread 02/11/2016, 09:05 AM   #1600
jason2459
Registered Member

Tags
jason's journal