Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/28/2016, 10:40 PM   #1776
jason2459
Registered Member

finished off (for now) my testing with the MTC MVX 36" skimmer.

Cliffs: This skimmer kicks @$#

Posted in this thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...2519839&page=9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
Some cool stats update 4

Aquamaxx Em 300
Air draw: ~38 scfh
Watts: rated 27watts actual: 31.38watts
Skimmate produced: ~1 cup dry/day and ~3cups wet/day low side

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mag18 as return pump w/ ~12' head height
Max head height:16.85'
Watts: rated 150watts actual: 71.18watts
Flow: rated 1500gph@0 head actual: ~750gph@12' head pressure

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mag18 with MVX stock 684 mazzei venturi
Air draw: ~12 scfh
Max head height:16.85'
Watts: rated 150watts actual: 62-63watts
Skimmate produced: ~3 cups dry/day high side

Mag18 with 784 mazzei
Air draw: ~14scf
Max head height: 16.85'
Watts: rated 150watts actual: 65-66watts
Skimmate produced: ~3 cups dryish/day low side

Waveline DC 12000 @ Level 8 w/ 684 mazzei
Air draw: ~18scfh
Max head height: 22.96'
Watts: rated: 150watts (w/ adapter) 139watts (after adapter) actual: 114wattts (w/ adapter)
Skimmate produced: ~4 cups dry/day

Waveline DC 12000 @ Level 9 w/ 684 mazzei
Air draw: ~22scfh
Watts: rated: 150watts (w/ adapter) 139watts (after adapter) actual: 128wattts (w/ adapter)
Skimmate produced: ~6 cups dryish/day!!!

Waveline DC 12000 @ Level 10 w/ 684 mazzei
Air draw: ~24scfh
Watts: rated: 150watts (w/ adapter) 139watts (after adapter) actual: 142wattts (w/ adapter)
Skimmate produced: ~6 cups dry/day

Waveline DC 12000 @ Level 11 w/ 684 mazzei
Watts: rated: 150watts (w/ adapter) 139watts (after adapter) actual: 147wattts (w/ adapter)
Skimmate produced: ~5.5 cups dry/day

Waveline DC 12000 @ Level 8 w/ 784 mazzei
Watts: rated: 150watts (w/ adapter) 139watts (after adapter) actual: 114wattts (w/ adapter)
Skimmate produced: ~3 cups dry/day

Waveline DC 12000 @ Level 9 w/ 784 mazzei
Watts: rated: 150watts (w/ adapter) 139watts (after adapter) actual: 128wattts (w/ adapter)
Skimmate produced: ~5.5 cups dry/day

Waveline DC 12000 @ Level 10 w/ 784 mazzei
Watts: rated: 150watts (w/ adapter) 139watts (after adapter) actual: 143wattts (w/ adapter)

Waveline DC 12000 @ Level 11 w/ 784 mazzei
Air draw: ~26scfh
Watts: rated: 150watts (w/ adapter) 139watts (after adapter) actual: 150wattts (w/ adapter)

Will calculate out the efficiency/performance thing next. but right now I have to rip apart a power bar... ha!
Quote:
I couldn't be happier with the waveline with it's higher head pressure rating compared to other (affordable) internal AC or DC pumps out there.

Adding on now to what I started to put together before.

So lets see some form of percentage of the ratio between cups dry produced vs wattage vs. air draw used
Aquamaxx Em 300
vs. wattage used: 3.2% "efficiency"
vs. air draw: 2.6% "performance"

MTC MVX with Mag18 and MVX stock 684 mazzei venturi
vs. wattage used: 4.8% "efficiency"
vs. air draw: 25% "performance"

MTC MVX with Mag18 and 784 mazzei
vs. wattage used: 4.5% "efficiency"
vs. air draw: 21.4% "performance"

Waveline DC 12000 @ Level 8 w/ 684 mazzei
vs. wattage used: 3.5% "efficiency"
vs. air draw: 22.2% "performance"

Waveline DC 12000 @ Level 9 w/ 684 mazzei
vs. wattage used: 4.7% "efficiency"
vs. air draw: 27.3% "performance"

Waveline DC 12000 @ Level 10 w/ 684 mazzei
vs. wattage used: 4.2% "efficiency"

Waveline DC 12000 @ Level 11 w/ 684 mazzei
vs. wattage used: 3.7% "efficiency"
vs. air draw: 22% "performance"

Waveline DC 12000 @ Level 8 w/ 784 mazzei
vs. wattage used: 2.6% "efficiency"
vs. air draw: 13.6% "performance"

Waveline DC 12000 @ Level 9 w/ 784mazzei

Waveline DC 12000 @ Level 10 w/ 784mazzei

Waveline DC 12000 @ Level 11 w/ 784 mazzei
vs. wattage used: 4% "efficiency"
vs. air draw: 23% "performance"

This is all fully assuming that the skimmate production would be exactly the same time after time at each of those levels. Which it's been really pretty steady but I'm sure what pulls 6 cups per day one time might pull 5.5 cups per day and reverse. But I don't see something pulling 3 cups per day gaining that much ground or reverse.

So, my totally unscientific conclusion which is most likely wrong is:

Waveline DC 12000 @ level 9 with the stock 684 mazzei is the winner for highest performance ratio of cups produced to air draw.
Mag 1800 with the stock 684 mazzei is the winnder for highest efficiency ratio of cups produced to wattage used

If looking for as much air draw as possible to say for aeration purposes the Waveline DC 12000 @ level 11 w/ the 784 mazzei is the winner.

If looking for a pump that runs cooler that will still produce something you'd be happy with then the Mag 18 w/ 784 venture. (produced about the same amount of skimmate as with the 684 but it was dryer so could produce more wetter.)

Definitely some unexpected results as I figured the waveline with the 784 was going to really kick the 684's butt. But, what I think is happening, the waveline handled the head height so well the more restricted 684 didn't hurt it at all. The 784 did help the mag18 that doesn't have near the head height rating. In fact I think the 684 may have produced a finer bubble with the waveline vs. with the 784.

and in the end YMMV

There's more I plan to play around with on this skimmer but going to take a break from it for a bit and get back to some other things like my saltmix parameter testing and thread.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2016, 10:44 PM   #1777
jason2459
Registered Member

I put the 684 mazzei in place and connected to the Apex via a VDM module. Took me a bit to figure out one small detail that was left out of the instructions... Oh wait, there are no instructions that come with it.

You have to have the Waveline controller at the lowest setting before it picks up what the VDM is telling it or at least lower then what the Apex is telling it.

I have it set to 80% which I figured would be close to level 9. It's pulling about 20scfh so it's not quite to the level 9. I'll tweak it higher eventually. I'll let it ride here for a bit.

My quick basic Apex programming which I love I can ramp down the speed once my Davey Jones locker is close to full but not there yet. Kind of slow it down in case it's overflowing for some reason which this skimmer has been super stable so far. I might even get another float in there and get a stepped ramp down process.

Skimmer physical outlet
Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Power SumpEB8_7 Off 002 Then OFF
If Outlet vSumpHigh_A7 = ON Then OFF
If Outlet return_7_1 = OFF Then OFF
If Outlet vLockerF_A3 = ON Then OFF
Defer 002:00 Then ON

VDM var1 outlet:
Fallback OFF
Set SkimmerOn
If Outlet vLockerD_A2 = ON Then SkimmerSlow

The Profiles:
Name SkimmerOn
Type Pump
Synchronize Disable
Divide by 10 Disable
Initial Off Time 0 seconds
On Time 0 seconds
Off Time 0 seconds
Minimum Intensity 80%
Maximum Intensity 80%

Name SkimmerSlow
Type Pump
Synchronize Disable
Divide by 10 Disable
Initial Off Time 0 seconds
On Time 0 seconds
Off Time 0 seconds
Minimum Intensity 60%
Maximum Intensity 60%

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 08/04/2016, 11:20 PM   #1778
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Damn, the mortar screen is where it's at. There's already GHA attaching and starting to grow. Thank You Turbo Aquatics for sending me this replacement Kick @55 screen!

First week and first quick swipe

Decided to hold off two weeks since the screen was already starting to get some good attachments.

Second cleaning and its looking great with a nice even layer on both sides.

I went ahead and bumped up the light intensity from half to full tonight. See how it responds to that. They are on I think for 14 hours. After the next cleaning depending on how it looks I'll start increasing the hours the lights are on.

Unread 08/05/2016, 07:50 AM   #1779
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

That's fast to green!! less than 2.5 weeks!

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2016, 07:39 PM   #1780
jason2459
Registered Member

I was very surprised and impressed. Remember I also had just started that warped one too just before this one and it took several weeks just to get a slime coat going.

Unread 08/09/2016, 10:20 PM   #1781
jason2459
Registered Member

I finally got around to getting the swabbie installed. The wiper just fit in there perfectly. I did have to trim the blade just slightly as there is a little edge on the bottom that I cut to get just above it and even along the entire neck.

The original avast swabbie lid and the motor mounted right on top with nylon screws.

You can buy just the motor and in the instructions you glue it to your existing lid after drilling a center hole for the shaft to go through. I had Jeff drill that center hole for me from the beginning. I don't want to glue the motor to the top in case I don't like it.

So out came the unibit I already had to get a pilot going and then used bits in the 1/4" 20 tpi course tap set.

There is a rubber gasket that goes between

All ready to go

And gets the entire neck to the lip on the quick change fitting

And here we go

Unread 08/09/2016, 10:31 PM   #1782
jason2459
Registered Member

Oh yeah, and I have it plugged into the apex which I have that outlet timed for when my AFS feeder is set to feed a mix of nls marine and algaemax pellets 4x per day.

It runs for 2 minutes just before the return pump is shutdown which my skimmer is set to shutdown if the return pump is off and not turn on for 2 minutes after the return has started back up so sump water level is stabilized.

Swabbie outlet
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 11:58 to 12:00 Then ON
If Time 14:58 to 15:00 Then ON
If Time 17:58 to 18:00 Then ON
If Time 20:58 to 21:00 Then ON
If Outlet skimmer_7_5 = OFF Then OFF

Skimmer outlet
Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Power SumpEB8_7 Off 002 Then OFF
If Outlet vSumpHigh_A7 = ON Then OFF
If Outlet return_7_1 = OFF Then OFF
Defer 002:00 Then ON

Return outlet
Fallback ON
Set ON
If DT_Sw1 OPEN Then OFF
If Outlet vfeed_A8 = ON Then OFF
Defer 008:00 Then ON

Feeder outlet
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Outlet vfeed_A8 = ON Then ON
If FeedA 000 Then ON
Defer 002:00 Then ON (this delays the feeding to make sure drain lines are fully drained to sump)

Feeder virtual outlet for scheduling
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 12:00 to 12:01 Then ON
If Time 15:00 to 15:01 Then ON
If Time 18:00 to 18:01 Then ON
If Time 21:00 to 21:01 Then ON
If FeedA 000 Then ON

That all helps to get the neck cleaned out which destroys the foam head when its about to be killed any way, enough time for the swabbie to get around almost 2 full rotations, stops food from going straight down the drain, i believe clearing the drains helps clean out the return and skimmer pumps a bit with the back flushing and possible the venturi slightly, and reduces build up of worms like feather dusters in the drain and return lines.

Unread 08/12/2016, 10:52 PM   #1783
jason2459
Registered Member

These little crustaceans seem to like hanging out right under the main outflow of my ATS. Everytime I turn on the lights they are grouped there and scatter. Even with the scrubber's leds off.

Unread 08/13/2016, 02:15 PM   #1784
jason2459
Registered Member

I had a question on my ozone setup and use. I've posted this before so most of this will be a copy paste.

You certainly don't need much ozone to produce results. I've also found very small amounts to help skimmer production while higher amounts hinder a good dense foam production. Some people will only run ozone for a couple hours right after lights on with great results.

I have used a 50mg/l redsea aquazone for years and have it down to running 25% for around 200 gallon system volume. That is a very small amount and poses little risk to fish even if GAC wasn't used. I do have a bag of GAC (ROX 0.8) sitting in front of my skimmer's output as a precaution. I do feel it acts like a flocculant at that small amount along with being an oxidizing agent. As others have said it's only one small part to maintaining my system.

More importantly though is that ozone isn't released into the atmosphere for you or anyone else in the house to breath in. (another reason I like very small amounts.) If using a skimmer as a reactor put bags of carbon over the collection cup if there's holes. I used to tape the holes up with duct tape except one of them and shoved my skimmer's airline in it to draw in any excess ozone air back into the skimmer. Lifereef skimmer do this already. My current skimmer is sealed on top with no holes so I don't have to worry about that part (MTC MVX).

Waterkeeper pointed me to these articles a few moons ago and should be read by anyone looking to use ozone.

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley Parts 1, 2, and 3
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/rhf/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-05/rhf/index.php

Posted this just recently but shows how I used to duct tape the holes on top except one to suck back into the skimmer any unused ozone.

The MTC MVX is sealed with a rubber gasket and screwed down. No holes on top.

Now for how I have it all setup airline wise.

I use a T to split off and control freshair flow and airflow from the ozone generator. And you'll see I also use a CO2 scrubber pre ozone generator.

The sodalime CO2 scrubber actually does two things for me. It acts to reduce CO2 going into the skimmer which helps elevate my tanks pH slightly but it also drys the air some as well which makes the ozone generator more efficient.

I T off the air flow going through both the CO2 scrubber and ozone generator as the generator doesn't need that much flow and would actually restrict airflow if I didn't T off and restricting the air flow through the scrubber increases its life as the sodalime would be exhausted much faster if pulling 100% of the air draw through it and I found it doesn't help increase pH that much more doing so.

So
Air in > scrubber > generator > T > skimmer
Air in > T > skimmer.

If that wasn't confusing here's a picture of the airlines which may or may not help clear that up. And you'll love my way of connecting some of these hoses...shoving one into another. Im not concerned with airtight as the air flow through the generator is less then the total airflow.

Air in

Sceubber to generator

Generator to T

Air in to T and T to skimmer

And my ozone generator is controlled by my apex. Monitoring orp should be done when using ozone.

Fallback OFF
If DT_ORP < 400 Then ON
If DT_ORP > 425 Then OFF
If Outlet skimmer_7_5 = OFF Then OFF

Unread 08/13/2016, 06:14 PM   #1785
jason2459
Registered Member

I'd say there's been some growth

About 9 months I think

First getting it

Now

Unread 08/14/2016, 12:49 PM   #1786
jason2459
Registered Member

Single RBTA from Jan 2015

And now a garden and have lost count. I think 11 now?

Unread 08/15/2016, 07:36 PM   #1787
biecacka
Registered Member

Great looking nem garden.
How big is your ATS screen? How many cubes a day do you feed?

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2016, 08:01 PM   #1788
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Great looking nem garden.
How big is your ATS screen? How many cubes a day do you feed?

Corey
Thanks man. I have a Turbo's Aquatics L3 Rev 3. I'm not sure what it's actual size is. But it's been great and fills out nicely every 2 weeks. It's one part to my whole.

I am on the waiting list for a L8 Rev 4 and once I get that I'll probably sell the L3 Rev 3. I need to sell my Aquamaxx EM300 too. Need to recoup some money so I can keep playing.

Unread 08/15/2016, 08:05 PM   #1789
jason2459
Registered Member

Here it is the current ATS I have

https://www.algaescrubbing.com/threa...r-obsolete.40/

9" wide x 4" tall roughed-up screen (effective growth area)

Unread 08/26/2016, 07:59 PM   #1790
bif24701
Registered Member

Jason I really like your system. Is very close to what I have and working toward. BTW, here is my current build
The Family Coral Tank

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...9&share_type=t

I really need to read through this thread. I'm sure I'll find a lot of good information for my own build.

Aaron

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2016, 08:07 PM   #1791
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
Jason I really like your system. Is very close to what I have and working toward. BTW, here is my current build
The Family Coral Tank

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...9&share_type=t

I really need to read through this thread. I'm sure I'll find a lot of good information for my own build.

Aaron
Thanks, I don't think I've read all of it yet.

Love those AP700's. If one of my LEDs go out I'd pick up a pair of those with my T5's to supplement.

Unread 08/26/2016, 08:11 PM   #1792
bif24701
Registered Member

What model scrubber do you have? I would like to look into getting one also. The Cheato Refugium takes up a lot of room and I want to use it as a sump again for QT system.

Aaron

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 08/26/2016, 08:12 PM   #1793
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks, I don't think I've read all of it yet.

Love those AP700's. If one of my LEDs go out I'd pick up a pair of those with my T5's to supplement.

Honestly love the AP700 and ideally in the future will add T5s as corals grow to deal with shadows.

Everything about them I have been pleased with. Power, shimmer, color/spectrum, and spread. Good lights

Aaron

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 08/26/2016, 08:24 PM   #1794
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
What model scrubber do you have? I would like to look into getting one also. The Cheato Refugium takes up a lot of room and I want to use it as a sump again for QT system.

Aaron
I have a Turbo's Aquatic L3 rev3. I love it and exactly what I needed in a design. Small, easy to maintain, light blocking so no extra growth everywhere else, and quite.

http://www.turbosaquatics.com

There's plenty of ways to DIY and do it cheap but the quality and attention to detail for me is well worth it. It works and works well. Plus Bud is awesome to work with at getting them running or troubleshooting and tweaking and he stands by his product 100%

I'm looking forward to getting the next revision 4 and bigger with a L8. I am very heavily stocked and feed a LOT so I think my tank can handle the bigger screen. I'll most likely do a review thread for it this time around.

Unread 09/02/2016, 07:23 PM   #1795
jason2459
Registered Member

Got an email the other day the Rev 4's are near ready!

On another note I think I'm going to switch back to vinegar only dosing. I prefered the parameters with that as the nitrates and phosphates were a bit higher and easier to keep there. With the vodka/vinegar it's been harder to balance the dosing and feeding to keep nitrates up to detectable levels and phosphates above 0.015

Unread 09/02/2016, 09:47 PM   #1796
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Got an email the other day the Rev 4's are near ready!

On another note I think I'm going to switch back to vinegar only dosing. I prefered the parameters with that as the nitrates and phosphates were a bit higher and easier to keep there. With the vodka/vinegar it's been harder to balance the dosing and feeding to keep nitrates up to detectable levels and phosphates above 0.015

I find that using NOPOX is difficult also to keep the right amount of nutrients in my system.

Aaron

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 09/03/2016, 04:03 AM   #1797
jjvanb
Registered Member

So vodka and vinegar gave you nitrates and phosphates that we're too low??

jjvanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2016, 06:26 AM   #1798
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvanb View Post
So vodka and vinegar gave you nitrates and phosphates that we're too low??
Basically. With vinegar alone my nitrates where around 2.5 to 5. Phosphates ranged around .02 to .09.

Very quickly after switching nitrates went well below 1 to undetectable and phosphates dropped and staid under .03. My alk is also to high for nutrients that low. Just made trying to keep nutrients up, or alk lower, or reducing carbon dosed amounts but not to much a balancing act.

Unread 09/15/2016, 12:05 PM   #1799
jason2459
Registered Member

Vinegar

Unread 09/15/2016, 12:11 PM   #1800
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Adjusted the timing from above for the Vinegar dosing because I can't subtract but it's all lined up perfectly with the feeding times and occurs 10 times a day.

Vinegar dosing programming
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 051:41/008:19/000:00 Then ON
If Time 21:00 to 11:00 Then OFF
If DT_pH < 7.79 Then OFF

Red is the Vinegar dosing pump turning on and the blue line dips for the return pump outlet turning off.
Back to this programming above.

With vodka and vinegar it was this

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 237:00/005:00/000:00 Then ON
If Outlet vPH_Low_C8 = ON Then OFF

Tags
jason's journal