Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/24/2012, 10:27 PM   #401
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddollar789 View Post
Amazing how artificial lighting changes the look of corals.... :P
Not only the corals, but fish too. It takes a couple of days, but the color shifts on fish as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syedjilani View Post
It's amazing. Thanks for sharing...
No problem SJ, been checking out your new build. Looking good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrush View Post
Those carpet anemones are amazing, especially the red one.
Yes…some pack a punch too. I found out the hard way what a nematocyst sting feels like. I brushed a anemone ocean side with my arm, jacked me up big time. Lots of blistering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loynzey View Post
Which camera and lens do you use whilst diving?
I'm using a Olympus XZ-1. Awesome camera in and out of the water. The underwater housing (PT-050) is very reasonably priced so it’s a good value in my book. Olympus service has been spot on as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tra072011 View Post
Hi,Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.
Tks again and pls keep posting.
Great, I hope there’s some insightfulness to posting these pictures, to see reefs in their natural states. Ive changed my outlook on aquarium keeping tenfold since being out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robferrari View Post
Those pictures and video are amazing! Thank you for sharing. It's exciting to see what is in nature compared to our tanks.
You bet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaisancexx View Post
I just finished reading through this entire thread and enjoyed it all. Amazing is what comes to mind. Thank you for sharing!
Wow, hope you didn’t do it at work, bandwidth hog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ 1098 View Post
Nice to a see a red carpet in the wild, did you see anymore or just the one?
Its hard to tell if you see them or not. Standard brown is more common. This was in relatively shallow water. When you go deeper, its hard to differentiate colors. You do see some beautiful anemone’s out here tho.

Video’s as promised.

Please do keep in mind, the visibility was very bad on this dive due to the recent rains AND im still learning to shoot video.

click on pics to play.

r-balljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2012, 10:28 PM   #402
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

Unread 06/18/2012, 09:25 PM   #403
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

Been awhile since I updated.

whoo hoo. Caught a couple of rhomboids on my own. Very excited. it’s a lot of pressure to catch them when you are down at 120' and the clock is ticking. Got some more cryptic clues from my fish catching buddy on what to do.

My next goal is a mystery wrasse. They seem to have a certain wit about them in the water. Might take some time.

I’m off to the states in a couple of weeks, lest no new updates for some time.

i need to post a FTS soon, been awhile. my tank looks mess right now, as i have a fish trap inside the tank trying to catch a pesky sand storm producing clown fish. Grrr. He has a reservation/dinner date with the ocean.

Here’s some shots from a coral head in the lagoon called Troy's coral head.

im trying to figure out the aperture settings....think the pics are getting better.

why didnt i pay better attention in photography class in high school, instead of trying to hit on every girl in class?

The fish density was crazy at this spot.

Enjoy.

Unread 06/18/2012, 09:42 PM   #404
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

Last edited by r-balljunkie; 06/18/2012 at 09:49 PM.
Unread 06/18/2012, 09:48 PM   #405
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

Unread 06/18/2012, 09:49 PM   #406
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

Unread 06/19/2012, 04:10 AM   #407
saltwatertanker
Registered Member

how do you catch your fish? any special techniques you can share?

saltwatertanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2012, 05:45 AM   #408
Surf&turf
Registered Member

Awesome pic's, thanks so much for sharing!!!

Unread 06/19/2012, 06:41 AM   #409
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

truly beautiful pics, its really inspiring. please keep it up.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2012, 08:09 AM   #410
swanny
Registered Member

This is my favorite thread on RC, thanks for taking the time share your dives with us. I'm landlocked in Colorado and am living vivcariously through you, lol.

Current Tank Info: 120g rr
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2012, 09:03 AM   #411
Guttungen
Registered Member

Pure heaven

Guttungen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2012, 07:21 PM   #412
Mangodude
The Clown Tang Keeper!

Lobo-licious man!! Looks amazing!

Current Tank Info: Too many
Mangodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2012, 02:45 PM   #413
theronsta
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-balljunkie View Post

Anyone else seeing that black/white unicorn fish? what is that?!?! I love this thread. Ive been trying to snag a job in Kwajelin..

theronsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2012, 06:40 AM   #414
trinidiver
Registered Member

Wow, nice thread an pics

Current Tank Info: Its a 220gal reef.......LPS/leathers/zoas. Check my album.
trinidiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2012, 02:29 PM   #415
gmate
MASC Member

Thank you for taking the time to update so regularly. I am from Connecticut and I wanted to go to college down in Florida or California for Marine Biology but alas, my grades were great but my funds were not and I couldn't get the loans to make my dream come true. This is a very inspiring thread and I have always told myself that if something ever goes sour I will be moving out of this Northeast location down closer to the equator. You're not helping my case with these updates!

I wish you the best and please continue to enjoy your time at your location, you are blessed. At age 22 I can and do aspire to move closer to the reef but I have to do my time in the 9-5 rat race so that hopefully I can break free before I get too old and complacent.

gmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2012, 08:19 PM   #416
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwatertanker View Post
how do you catch your fish? any special techniques you can share?
It takes tons of practice, but the basic premise is you are never going to freely swoop a fish and catch it. You have to coax a fish into your net by corralling it.
Two nets are a must. If you have to, turn one over and use it as a poker. We make our own nets out here, small mesh monofilament netting, wire and frame. You don’t want your netting on the edge of the frame, so you make a subframe out of wire to keep your nets from getting tore up. You will also need a catch bucket to put the fish into. Don’t want to come up with an empty bucket For the most part, the collecting is done at depths, say around 120’ to 90’.
You might get lucky and net something while you are snorkeling, but obviously scuba gives you a wider range than that of 10’ and a few seconds of you holding your breath and fighting the buoyancy of saltwater. It’s extremely hard (not impossible) to catch fish on the reef. They have too many places for fish to dart into. You have a better chance on the slope/drop off as you can read the terrain and pick your spots.

It took me about a year to get good (not saying I’m going to quit my day job anytime soon). I’m at the point now I can catch fish every outing, but can’t say I’m batting a thousand when it comes to catching what I want.

I just cleared out five fish; making room when I get back in town for new fish. I kept the Moorish idol, the scopas tang, needle nose butterfly fish, and the flame angel. Thinking of a bunch of rhomboids, see how they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf&turf View Post
Awesome pic's, thanks so much for sharing!!!
You’re most welcome. Thanks for taking the time to peruse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
truly beautiful pics, its really inspiring. please keep it up.
New ideas for the tank? Hope so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
This is my favorite thread on RC, thanks for taking the time share your dives with us. I'm landlocked in Colorado and am living vivcariously through you, lol.
Cool. I'll take that as a compliment and let it go straight to my head. lotsa good threads on RC.....much appreciated.

This is the SPS forum….do at least need to post some aquarium shots from time to time….the later it gets in the evening, kiddo to bed the better chances of me having a glass of wine or a beer in my hand and not wanting to take some pics.
Also the damn dial up internet lessens the chances of me snapping a few and posting, as it turns into a two day ordeal, verses 10 minutes back in civilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttungen View Post
Pure heaven
Meh, The guy eating steak and lobster every day is tired of steak and lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangodude View Post
Lobo-licious man!! Looks amazing!
Yeah, its funny how people are so ardent and driven to have a “SPS dominant” or 100% SPS tank. In reality, the reef is blended with different species of corals, sponges, tunicates, encrusting corals, algae’s, marine plants etc. I'm impressed with the lobophyllia structures when I see them. Not just the striking colors, but the sizes as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theronsta View Post
Anyone else seeing that black/white unicorn fish? what is that?!?! I love this thread. Ive been trying to snag a job in Kwajelin..
I seen them….you’re not going crazy. Here’s a video (hope the damn thing plays). Of me perching down and initially shooting the frame, not panning. I think there’s a couple of good shots of unicorn tangs….every time I say unicorn, I think of the unicorn song from despicable me…..thats my jam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinidiver View Post
Wow, nice thread an pics
Tanks, mon pass da roti and gimme a double.
OK OK, enough of my bad trini impression…..how’s the diving down there? It’s on my short list of places to dive, or vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmate View Post
Thank you for taking the time to update so regularly. I am from Connecticut and I wanted to go to college down in Florida or California for Marine Biology but alas, my grades were great but my funds were not and I couldn't get the loans to make my dream come true. This is a very inspiring thread and I have always told myself that if something ever goes sour I will be moving out of this Northeast location down closer to the equator. You're not helping my case with these updates!

I wish you the best and please continue to enjoy your time at your location, you are blessed. At age 22 I can and do aspire to move closer to the reef but I have to do my time in the 9-5 rat race so that hopefully I can break free before I get too old and complacent.
Keep at it bro. education is the greatest equalizer in the world. Im just trash from the other side of the railroad tracks who managed to make it thru the army, make it thru college (air conditioning, girls and the GI bill, whoo hoo) and end up on this rock. Life is like a game, just gotta play by the mans rules.

This will be my last update for awhile, leaving back to North America this Tuesday. I hope my poor tank sitter can manage for a month. I have one other ‘reefer’ buddy on island, she can help out in a pinch, need be. End of the day, im happy as long as the tank is still standing, and in one piece when I get back. Everything else is manageable.

Soo excited (not), triple digit heat in Houston, nice. …..see if this constant 85 degree weather my body has gotten used to has made me softer.

C

Unread 06/29/2012, 07:21 PM   #417
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

sneak peek. new toy i got in the mail.

muh ha ha ha.

will have to wait till i get back.

Unread 06/29/2012, 09:46 PM   #418
fxbyjanice
Registered Member

Awesome r-balljunkie! Is it a sea & sea housing? I'm actually getting ready to purchase a whole system for diving myself. I've been researching it all for the past month and am just about to finish up my underwater photography course. Looks like your really going to have fun with your pictures now! What camera are you using? Details please

- Scuba Janice

fxbyjanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2012, 06:13 AM   #419
lgull1
Registered Member

that is one pricey but very nice camera package.

lgull1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2012, 03:37 PM   #420
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

Quote:
sneak peek. new toy i got in the mail.

muh ha ha ha.

will have to wait till i get back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgull1 View Post
that is one pricey but very nice camera package.
Well you guys underestimate just how cheap I am.
I put the F in Frugality.
The C in Cheapness.
The T in Tightwad

Ill shop online for days just save a few bucks. I buy my clothes used (all Tommy Bahama since i wear shorts and a Hawaiian shirt to work ), sans underwear and socks

Here's the breakdown on the package.

I bought it used off eBay. Once i seen it, I clicked on the buy it now since i knew it was a smoking deal.

Initial package costs $515.00 shipped

Olympus Evolt 520 10 mp camera
Included:
4 GB Sandisk ultra II card
14-42mm lens
Olympus UW Housing PT-E05
Olympus UW lens Housing PPO-E05
Olympus UFL-2 strobe
Sea&Sea YS-110 strobe
Akona Roller camera bag
Misc cabling, fiber optic cables, batteries
Camera tray, with arms

Going to sell off:

Sea&Sea YS-110 strobe $300 (based on recently sold on eBay)
fiber optic cables, batteries $100...already have these

Total cost for the DSLR camera with one UFL-2strobe, UW housing for $115

I’ll try to pick up another UFL-2 later and shoot in TTL mode, but that’s down the road.

Everything was in mint condition, looks like someone just slapped an Amex on the counter, and said give me everything and never really used it.

Surprisingly, on the Olympus website, this housing is on sale, from $800 or so dollars, down to $190 shipped, which is unheard of.

I suspect this is because the camera was released in 08/09 so it’s not the newest latest and greatest, but at this price point, I think it’s fine for me to learn more about shooting UW SLR.

I’m already bought a new housing as extra insurance and will put the other one back on eBay even though it looks perfectly fine.

Who says the art of the deal is dead?

I didn’t tell my wife until I rolled it into the house and had to endure a Tito Ortiz like verbal barrage once she found out. I weathered the onslaught, and gave up some concessions like I cannot complain about anything she buys while we are stateside. Bite my tongue time.

C

Unread 06/30/2012, 04:30 PM   #421
fxbyjanice
Registered Member

One hell of a great deal!!!! u/w equipment is ridiculous in price. I'm looking at $3k just for the housing no strobes or anything. Ouch!

lol about the wife's verbal barrage! Hey, for something you really enjoy you got one hell of a deal. Can't wait to see pics with the new system!

HAPPY DIVING! - Scuba Janice

fxbyjanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2012, 04:34 PM   #422
slapshot
Registered Member

Quote:
Well you guys underestimate just how cheap I am.
I put the F in Frugality.
The C in Cheapness.
The T in Tightwad

Ill shop online for days just save a few bucks. I buy my clothes used (all Tommy Bahama since i wear shorts and a Hawaiian shirt to work ), sans underwear and socks

Here's the breakdown on the package.

I bought it used off eBay. Once i seen it, I clicked on the buy it now since i knew it was a smoking deal.

Initial package costs $515.00 shipped

Olympus Evolt 520 10 mp camera
Included:
4 GB Sandisk ultra II card
14-42mm lens
Olympus UW Housing PT-E05
Olympus UW lens Housing PPO-E05
Olympus UFL-2 strobe
Sea&Sea YS-110 strobe
Akona Roller camera bag
Misc cabling, fiber optic cables, batteries
Camera tray, with arms

Going to sell off:

Sea&Sea YS-110 strobe $300 (based on recently sold on eBay)
fiber optic cables, batteries $100...already have these

Total cost for the DSLR camera with one UFL-2strobe, UW housing for $115

I’ll try to pick up another UFL-2 later and shoot in TTL mode, but that’s down the road.

Everything was in mint condition, looks like someone just slapped an Amex on the counter, and said give me everything and never really used it.

Surprisingly, on the Olympus website, this housing is on sale, from $800 or so dollars, down to $190 shipped, which is unheard of.

I suspect this is because the camera was released in 08/09 so it’s not the newest latest and greatest, but at this price point, I think it’s fine for me to learn more about shooting UW SLR.

I’m already bought a new housing as extra insurance and will put the other one back on eBay even though it looks perfectly fine.

Who says the art of the deal is dead?

I didn’t tell my wife until I rolled it into the house and had to endure a Tito Ortiz like verbal barrage once she found out. I weathered the onslaught, and gave up some concessions like I cannot complain about anything she buys while we are stateside. Bite my tongue time.

C
Holy $&)$ that is a good deal. I might be interested in the strobe. Is it a single or a double? Congrats!!!!!

slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2012, 09:48 PM   #423
offroadodge
Registered Member

well that too a better part of all my free time today but man was it worth it. The wife and i have been planning a trip to the Marshall Island for almost a year. You may have made my mind up on which island to visit. Thanks for letting u experiance a little piece of heaven at your expense. TEXAS native here as well.

Current Tank Info: custom 200G
offroadodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2012, 06:52 AM   #424
lgull1
Registered Member

Deal!!

You got one heck of a deal and shipped too!!!

Nice setup.

lgull1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2012, 09:46 AM   #425
Permi
Registered Member

Hi,

I have just read this thread and I am seriously shocked. You don't feel bad about having a tank at the most beautiful place of the world...and you feel that the Ocean is a self service store? Shame on you! Leave the corals where they are, don't catch any fishes just for test purpose. The Ocean is not yours...you are just a guest!
Can't bellieve they let you in the water and grab everything what moves or looks colorful.

This has nothing to do with Aquaristic!

Last edited by Permi; 07/02/2012 at 10:06 AM.
Permi is offline   Reply With Quote