Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/21/2014, 07:35 PM   #1
mskvarenina
Registered Member

Surviving a power outtage

My primary biological filter is in the sump with MarinePure ceramic media. Just how long can the bacteria living on the media last without a fresh flow of oxygenated water?

I'm wondering if I put a small powerhead in the sump on the return side and direct it to the biomedia end and connect it to a UPS it would probably run for hours and hours. I guessing this simple water circulation of water through the sump should keep the media alive until the power comes back and send water from the tank back into the sump.

What do you think?

mskvarenina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2014, 07:54 PM   #2
pyithar
Registered Member

do you not have fish/corals in the display tank? you should worry about them first before bacteria. small powerhead with ups would work. as the last resort, battery opearted air pumps work too.

Current Tank Info: 150G display, 50G sump, mixed reef
pyithar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2014, 09:15 PM   #3
mskvarenina
Registered Member

Yes I have a ton of fish but that's not really where the biological filter lives. Should I be equally concerned with the fish?

Unread 08/21/2014, 10:34 PM   #4
Macimage
Registered Member

I would be much more concerned with the fish during a power outage. They will die from lack of oxygen long before your biological filtration dies off.

Use the small powerhead on the UPS to break the surface of the water to provide oxygen to your fish.

Macimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2014, 10:53 PM   #5
pyithar
Registered Member

if you have a ton of fish, use the powerhead in the display for surface agitation for gas exchange like that guy^^ said. also don't forget to check the temperature if the weather is very hot where you live. you can put some ice in a bag like ziplock, seal it well and float the bag to cool the tank down.

Current Tank Info: 150G display, 50G sump, mixed reef
pyithar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2014, 04:59 AM   #6
johnike
Moved On

I have a generator but before I fire it up, I drop a pair of air powered bubblers in the tank.
You can get them in the sporting good dept next to the minnow buckets.
When the power is out, I usually just plug in the return pump in the sump.

johnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2014, 05:18 PM   #7
mskvarenina
Registered Member

Interesting replies. I figured the fish would be fine for a while just swimming around but the biological once it's dead would cause the ammonia to go through the roof once the water started flowing again.

So how many hours do you think fish can live in a tank without waterflow and how many hours would the biological last? When I do water changes everything is usually off for 30 minutes and everything is fine.

Unread 08/22/2014, 07:09 PM   #8
dmh41532
Registered Member

most efficient and stress free way, a small generator. I've tired all the 'other tricks' such as battery pumps, but if you need to heat or cool it,

dmh41532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2014, 07:10 PM   #9
dmh41532
Registered Member

a small generator will run the whole tank, plus other essential appliances (refridgerator and such)

dmh41532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2014, 07:29 PM   #10
electrotech
Registered Member

Couldn't afford a generator last time power was out for extended period, ended up using my car as a generator and a inverter with a extension cord to run the return pump and skimmer for a hour, then off for 2 then repeat for 3 days. Good thing it was summer and temp didn't drop but a few degrees down to around 75 at night, during the day it was up around 82.

electrotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2014, 07:41 PM   #11
Troio2
Registered Member

82 in the summer, are you in Canada or something?

Troio2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2014, 07:50 PM   #12
electrotech
Registered Member

Tank water up to 82, wasn't too terribly hot outside, mid to high eighty's outside, early September so late summer. This was in 2004 when hurricane Ivan came through Ohio, knocked out power for 3 days and I was lucky, others around here went weeks.

Unread 08/22/2014, 08:28 PM   #13
Troio2
Registered Member

I lived in Orlando that summer. Hit directly by 3 hurricanes in 6 weeks. Didn't have an aquarium but quite an interesting summer

Troio2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2014, 08:40 PM   #14
mskvarenina
Registered Member

We've got a portable 8,000 watt generator that runs the whole house minus the central air. the problem is if I'm not home to connect it the tank may sit for hours.

Unread 08/22/2014, 08:50 PM   #15
ChrisKirkland
Reef and Coral Fanatic

Speaking of power outage, just came out of a 4 hour one due to a severe thunderstorm. I have a generator, after about an hour of no power I pulled it out started it up and plugged the apex in and the tank was running like normal. Of course my neighbors were jealous.

Reef Nerd.

Current Tank Info: Getting back into the hobby.
ChrisKirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2014, 09:01 PM   #16
electrotech
Registered Member

I've been thinking about a generator. Buddy of mine was selling one cheap but it wasn't a inverter generator. I would be nervous about plugging in sensitive electronics like a controller or LEDs into a traditional generator.

Unread 08/22/2014, 09:48 PM   #17
clockman
Registered Member

Look for a model with an automatic voltage regulator. The better brands have this. You'll have no worries with sensitive electronics. I've used mine several times since we got it last winter during a nasty ice storm hear in South Eastern PA. The kids use their computers, I use mine and we watch TV with no problems. Never had a problem w/ the LEDs over the tank either.

Current Tank Info: 90 gal w/ sps and soft corals
clockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2014, 10:03 PM   #18
RocketCityNano
Registered Member

Just make sure to get an inverter generator. This can be pretty important especially if you plan on getting a controller later on.

RocketCityNano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2014, 05:07 AM   #19
mskvarenina
Registered Member

All this generator talk is fun but nobody has really answered the original question of how long a biological or tank full of fish could survive without power. If I'm away at work and there is nobody here to fire up a generator how long really do I have?

Unread 08/23/2014, 05:16 AM   #20
johnike
Moved On

It depends on the size of the tank, and the bioload.
The biological load in the sump will live a lot longer than the fish will, fish can start hurting soon after oxygen is depleted.

johnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2014, 10:07 AM   #21
clockman
Registered Member

Tough question to answer as most of us have a tank full of live rock for the primary source of biological filtration. Do you have a tank full of live rock? If so, most of your biological filtration is taking place there and not in your sump. If you don't have live rock then you will have a build up of nitrogenous wastes that will harm the fish but they will die long before that if you don't aerate the water. Keeping your biological filter alive is important but I do believe it will recover quickly even without the addition of a power head to the sump. Dead fish in your main tank.......well, that's another story.

Current Tank Info: 90 gal w/ sps and soft corals
clockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2014, 07:21 PM   #22
acabgd
Registered Member

With lots of fish anything more than 45-60 minutes without water movement already becomes critical.

acabgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2014, 07:51 PM   #23
tom g
Registered Member

power outages

I have my tank run for a few hours with no power and no ill effects . after our ice storm we had here at x mas time in Toronto , I did purchase a generator . but as for fellow reefers several lost there complete tanks and livestock after a few days .

tom g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2014, 05:11 AM   #24
tom g
Registered Member

fyi

I just ran a test with my 1000 watt inverter /battery from my old car charged with a trickle
charger./2 korailia water pumps and a heater. In a large pail of water.

Results 4.5 hours on straight battery.....

tom g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2014, 10:55 AM   #25
Jimbo530
Registered Member

i always just drain my sumps water into a bucket and put it back in the diplay tank letting it overflow back down several times a day. figured this created water movement and oxidized the water from pouring it in as well as filtered the water with sump still. temp always seems ok but never had extended black out.

Jimbo530 is offline   Reply With Quote