Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 08/22/2014, 02:11 PM   #11926
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msderganc View Post
Thanks Steve, as always. I'll go with the Tomini tang then! How would it play with a 6 line or melanurus wrasse in the future if I needed () something to deal with flatworms?
I would not do a sixline. There are better flatworm predators and the sixlines are aggressive.

Unread 08/23/2014, 08:31 AM   #11927
reepher315
Humble Student

Thinking about adding a skunk cleaner shrimp. I know its not a fish... But will my fish eat it?

Hippo Tang
Coral Beauty
Clowns
Cardinals
Solar Wrasse
Scooter Blenny
Fox Face

Unread 08/23/2014, 08:32 AM   #11928
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reepher315 View Post
Thinking about adding a skunk cleaner shrimp. I know its not a fish... But will my fish eat it?

Hippo Tang
Coral Beauty
Clowns
Cardinals
Solar Wrasse
Scooter Blenny
Fox Face
No.

Unread 08/23/2014, 09:53 AM   #11929
Golden Age
Registered Member

Steve, I have a 75 gallon with a 30 gallon sump/refugium that's been up for 5 months and here's my current stocking list and what I would like to add, can you give me a heads up if these will work?

Current inhabitants
2 clowns (I'm not sure which kind. They are a small pair)
1 yellow watchman goby
1 Candy Cane pistol shrimp (But I haven't seen it since he was added and he hasn't paired up with the YWG
1 Emerald Crab
1 Pom Pom Crab
1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Bumbleebee Shrimp
1 turbo snail
1 nassarius snail
1 trochus snail
12 red and blue leg hermits

The problem with my current inhabitants is that, aside from the snails and hermits, I never see any of them. The clowns stay in the back corner of one side hosting a powerhead and everything else I never ever see.

So I'm looking to add some pets that are more active and visible but I don't want to get rid of any of my current inhabitants because I've grown to know each and every one of them and they all seem happy with their hiding places even if I don't see them.

Wishlist inhabitants
1 flasher wrasse

3 blue/green chromis - I've heard these will pick each other off if they aren't well-fed but I think they are beautiful and would like a trio as long as they are safe with each other

1 or 2 dragonnets (in a few months) 1 male mandarin and 1 female mandarin. And if I can't keep the copepod population sustained for 2 mandarins I would like to add just 1 ruby red dragonnet. Will the flasher wrasse eat all the copepods or will the dragonets be able to eat healthy as well?

Unread 08/23/2014, 09:58 AM   #11930
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Age View Post
Steve, I have a 75 gallon with a 30 gallon sump/refugium that's been up for 5 months and here's my current stocking list and what I would like to add, can you give me a heads up if these will work?

Current inhabitants
2 clowns (I'm not sure which kind. They are a small pair) clowns tend to "associate" with an anemone, coral, or "area" and that is where they stay. The larger the species, the more they tend to "stray"
1 yellow watchman goby
1 Candy Cane pistol shrimp (But I haven't seen it since he was added and he hasn't paired up with the YWG
1 Emerald Crab
1 Pom Pom Crab
1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Bumbleebee Shrimp
1 turbo snail
1 nassarius snail
1 trochus snail
12 red and blue leg hermits

The problem with my current inhabitants is that, aside from the snails and hermits, I never see any of them. The clowns stay in the back corner of one side hosting a powerhead and everything else I never ever see.

So I'm looking to add some pets that are more active and visible but I don't want to get rid of any of my current inhabitants because I've grown to know each and every one of them and they all seem happy with their hiding places even if I don't see them.

Wishlist inhabitants
1 flasher wrasse fine

3 blue/green chromis - I've heard these will pick each other off if they aren't well-fed but I think they are beautiful and would like a trio as long as they are safe with each other they will, over time pick off the two weakest

1 or 2 dragonnets (in a few months) 1 male mandarin and 1 female mandarin. this sized tank is not sufficient for two mandarins

And if I can't keep the copepod population sustained for 2 mandarins I would like to add just 1 ruby red dragonnet. should be fine

Will the flasher wrasse eat all the copepods or will the dragonets be able to eat healthy as well?

Unread 08/23/2014, 04:02 PM   #11931
bluecoyote79
Registered Member

65g tank with the following current residents:

Mated pair True Percs (very mellow)
Firefish
Two red-spot cardinals
YWG with pistol shrimp
skunk cleaner shrimp
numerous snails ranging from bumble bees to turbos

Would two juvenile/female red-lined wrasses (Halichoeres biocellatus) work? Would they fight or would one turn male? Are they going to cause havoc with other inhabitants?

Would 1 red-lined be better if I planned to get a male and female Mccosker's pair later? The pair of flashers is my ultimate goal whenever I can find them.

Unread 08/23/2014, 04:29 PM   #11932
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecoyote79 View Post
65g tank with the following current residents:

Mated pair True Percs (very mellow)
Firefish
Two red-spot cardinals
YWG with pistol shrimp
skunk cleaner shrimp
numerous snails ranging from bumble bees to turbos

Would two juvenile/female red-lined wrasses (Halichoeres biocellatus) work? Would they fight or would one turn male? Are they going to cause havoc with other inhabitants?

Would 1 red-lined be better if I planned to get a male and female Mccosker's pair later? The pair of flashers is my ultimate goal whenever I can find them.
A pair would work. Not necessarily invert safe, however.

Unread 08/23/2014, 04:31 PM   #11933
bluecoyote79
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
A pair would work. Not necessarily invert safe, however.
Would the Halichoeres biocellatus be ok with flashers?

Unread 08/23/2014, 04:33 PM   #11934
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecoyote79 View Post
Would the Halichoeres biocellatus be ok with flashers?
Yes, they are compatible with peaceful fish including flashers (my only reservation would be the 8-line flasher from the Red Sea)

Unread 08/23/2014, 06:58 PM   #11935
TripleJ21
Registered Member

I have a 75 gallon mixed reef. It is already partly stocked, just wanted your input so I'm not making any mistakes.

What I plan to have:
1 pair occ. Clowns
1 purple firefish
1 Barlett's Anthias
1 Lyretail Anthias
1 Kole Tang
1 Flame Hawkfish
1 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse

Thanks in advance!

Unread 08/23/2014, 07:44 PM   #11936
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleJ21 View Post
I have a 75 gallon mixed reef. It is already partly stocked, just wanted your input so I'm not making any mistakes.

What I plan to have:
1 pair occ. Clowns
1 purple firefish
1 Barlett's Anthias
1 Lyretail Anthias
1 Kole Tang
1 Flame Hawkfish not shrimp safe
1 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse males are poor shippers

Thanks in advance!
fine except as noted

Unread 08/23/2014, 09:49 PM   #11937
TripleJ21
Registered Member

Thank you so much snorvich!

Unread 08/24/2014, 09:41 AM   #11938
TripleJ21
Registered Member

Would I also be able to add a bottom dwelling goby? Or would that be pushing it?

Unread 08/24/2014, 09:43 AM   #11939
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleJ21 View Post
Would I also be able to add a bottom dwelling goby? Or would that be pushing it?
Different ecological niche; no problem

Unread 08/24/2014, 11:12 AM   #11940
claireputput
Registered Member

Quote:
with current stocking, zero. You have 3 ultra aggressive fish that will not take kindly to additions
120g Reef tank with 25g refugium/sump
1 tang
1 rabbitfish
2 banggai cardinals
1 lawnmower blennie
1 pink spot goby
inverts

Current stock above plus:

1 coral beauty angel (the addition)
2 clowns (were in the 55g)

If this exceeds the limit the clowns can be placed back in the 55g.

Next
55gFOWLR with 20g sump/refugium would like to stock the following-(damsels and psuedochromis are now removed plus coral is removed)

Option One:
4 seahorse
1 pipe fish

OR

Option Two
1 lionfish (dwarf)
1 smaller puffer
1 (additional semi aggressive in the 4 inch range)

Unread 08/24/2014, 01:41 PM   #11941
Garifuna2
Registered Member

Hey guys I'm brand new here and this is my first post!

This will be my second tank and it is my dream tank. I'm trying to decide between a 300dd 72x36x?? or a 280ish gallon that is 84x24x30. My local LFS is selling the 300dd for 1300 so I'm leaning towards that.

Anyways the list would be the same for both.

7 x Lyretail Anthias
2 x Neon Goby OR 1 x Cleaner Common Wrasse
3 x Royal Gramma
2 x Banggai Cardinal
1 x Sailfin Tang
2 x Yellow Tang
1 x Blonde Naso Tang
1 x Powder Blue tang
1 x Vlamingii Tang
2 x Clownfish
1 x Yellow Clown Goby
1 x Mystery Wrasse

Unread 08/24/2014, 01:57 PM   #11942
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claireputput View Post
120g Reef tank with 25g refugium/sump
1 tang
1 rabbitfish
2 banggai cardinals
1 lawnmower blennie
1 pink spot goby
inverts

Current stock above plus:

1 coral beauty angel (the addition)
2 clowns (were in the 55g)

If this exceeds the limit the clowns can be placed back in the 55g.

Next
55gFOWLR with 20g sump/refugium would like to stock the following-(damsels and psuedochromis are now removed plus coral is removed)

Option One: Excellent option!
4 seahorse
1 pipe fish

OR

Option Two
1 lionfish (dwarf)
1 smaller puffer
1 (additional semi aggressive in the 4 inch range)

Unread 08/24/2014, 02:00 PM   #11943
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garifuna2 View Post
Hey guys I'm brand new here and this is my first post!

This will be my second tank and it is my dream tank. I'm trying to decide between a 300dd 72x36x?? or a 280ish gallon that is 84x24x30. My local LFS is selling the 300dd for 1300 so I'm leaning towards that.

Anyways the list would be the same for both. If you are going to be tang oriented, the extra length is preferred

7 x Lyretail Anthias
2 x Neon Goby OR 1 x Cleaner Common Wrasse only one neon goby
3 x Royal Gramma
2 x Banggai Cardinal
1 x Sailfin Tang
2 x Yellow Tang
1 x Blonde Naso Tang
1 x Powder Blue tang
1 x Vlamingii Tang needs a larger tank
2 x Clownfish
1 x Yellow Clown Goby
1 x Mystery Wrasse

To Reef Central

Unread 08/24/2014, 04:40 PM   #11944
kourtjestr
Registered Member

So, as my first post on the forum (and never kept a reef before...): I am doing fairly advanced planning, starting to get equipment together for a 29 gallon DT with a 10 gallon sump. I have no plans to rush into things, but may have SOMETHING in it within the next 4 months. It has to be a 29, even though I recognize that bigger can be better, because I have space and budget limitations that prevent a HUGE tank. Anyway, I'm figuring on softies, mushrooms, anemones, and just a few fish I like. I have no plans at all for SPS corals.
Thoughts:
1 clownfish
1 green clown goby
1 yellowtail or blue sapphire damsel
2 banggai cardinals (I understand that you should get a mated pair, not just 1)

And, of course, a CUC of snails and whatnot, though I'll probably avoid hermit crabs based on what I've read in here.

Please let me know if I'm crazy, or if there are problems. Since I'm in advanced planning, I'm not super attached to anything. I know my wife would be happier if I put some seahorses in the tank, but I hear they don't necessarily play well with anemones.

Unread 08/24/2014, 04:44 PM   #11945
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kourtjestr View Post
So, as my first post on the forum (and never kept a reef before...): I am doing fairly advanced planning, starting to get equipment together for a 29 gallon DT with a 10 gallon sump. I have no plans to rush into things, but may have SOMETHING in it within the next 4 months. It has to be a 29, even though I recognize that bigger can be better, because I have space and budget limitations that prevent a HUGE tank. Anyway, I'm figuring on softies, mushrooms, anemones, and just a few fish I like. I have no plans at all for SPS corals.
Thoughts:
1 clownfish species?
1 green clown goby
1 yellowtail or blue sapphire damsel will limit other tank mates because of aggression
2 banggai cardinals (I understand that you should get a mated pair, not just 1) you can have just one but if you have two, you must have a male plus female

And, of course, a CUC of snails and whatnot, though I'll probably avoid hermit crabs based on what I've read in here.

Please let me know if I'm crazy, or if there are problems. Since I'm in advanced planning, I'm not super attached to anything. I know my wife would be happier if I put some seahorses in the tank, but I hear they don't necessarily play well with anemones.
Yes, sea horses and anemones together can be a problem. But an anemone in a new small tank can also be a problem. Why an anemone? And what kind?

To Reef Central

Unread 08/24/2014, 04:50 PM   #11946
kourtjestr
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, sea horses and anemones together can be a problem. But an anemone in a new small tank can also be a problem. Why an anemone? And what kind?

To Reef Central
Wow, quick response. Thanks! Probably straight ocellaris clown. They may be traditional, but I think they're cool. And I really like the bubble tip anemones. I'm inclined to do one because I love watching them (and so does the wife, which helps with me HAVING the tank!) I figured the anemone and the clown would be the last things in, which would probably be months down the road.

I had been a little concerned about the damsels for aggression. If you have any other suggestions for something that would play well in its place, I'm all ears. I just really like the look / color of the fish.

Unread 08/24/2014, 04:55 PM   #11947
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kourtjestr View Post
Wow, quick response. Thanks! Probably straight ocellaris clown. They may be traditional, but I think they're cool. And I really like the bubble tip anemones. I'm inclined to do one because I love watching them (and so does the wife, which helps with me HAVING the tank!) I figured the anemone and the clown would be the last things in, which would probably be months down the road.

I had been a little concerned about the damsels for aggression. If you have any other suggestions for something that would play well in its place, I'm all ears. I just really like the look / color of the fish.
As those who follow this thread know, I do not provide recommendations for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is you need to learn to research tank mates. However I am always happy to review revised stocking plans provided tank size and maturity are also provided. While appearance is nice, behavior and ecological niche trump color when it comes to tank stocking.

Unread 08/24/2014, 04:56 PM   #11948
kourtjestr
Registered Member

Quote:
As those who follow this thread know, I do not provide recommendations for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is you need to learn to research tank mates. However I am always happy to review revised stocking plans provided tank size and maturity are also provided. While appearance is nice, behavior and ecological niche trump color when it comes to tank stocking.
Cool. Will look into it further and come back if I need further review. Thanks again!

Unread 08/24/2014, 05:09 PM   #11949
Kaiser24
Registered Member

adequate space needed?

Can I house 3 fish over 12 inches long in a 125 gallon hopefully along with some smaller guys too? from what I hear I would go bigger but the guy at the fish store says I'd be fine. the fish are under 5 inches rn and I have not purchased them.

Unread 08/24/2014, 06:00 PM   #11950
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser24 View Post
Can I house 3 fish over 12 inches long in a 125 gallon hopefully along with some smaller guys too? from what I hear I would go bigger but the guy at the fish store says I'd be fine. the fish are under 5 inches rn and I have not purchased them.
It does not work that way although your LFS will say that anything is fine because they sell fish. The process of evaluating tank mates is: behavior, ecological niche, size. However a 12 inch fish would make a 125 gallon tank look small

Closed Thread

Tags
marine fish compatibility