Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/03/2007, 07:38 PM   #1
Joshua H.
Registered Member

unknown hitchhiker

I can't get a good picture because my camera does not like to take underwater pictures. It's a white hairy worm thing. It's about an inch and a half long. I noticed him after I bought some rock about a month ago. Nothing has turned up dead, so I doubt he is aggressive. I have a shrimp, lots of hermits, astrea snails, choco chip sea star, 3 damsels, and a yellow tang and none of . Nothing is harmed but I just want to know what it is. Is it somthing that may be bad for reefs? I plan on getting corrals someday and don't need this in there if it eats them(I know the star has to go too before i get corrals). Anyway, any replies greatly appreciated. thanks

-Josh

Joshua H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2007, 12:40 AM   #2
charlesr1958
Registered Member

I can only guess of course, but going by what is most commonly found as hitch hikers and your vague description, I would say the odds are that it is one of any number of "bristle" worms. You may be able to find what you have within my hitch hiker pages. Hope it is of use to you.

My Hitch Hiker Pages

Chuck

charlesr1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2007, 08:03 AM   #3
Joshua H.
Registered Member

What is the best way to get it out? There were 2 on that page that looked like it but 1 is not a good worm for reefs. Thanks for the link.

-Josh

Joshua H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2007, 09:14 AM   #4
charlesr1958
Registered Member

Thats the tricky part...lol, but if you know which rock it is in, the easiest way is to just remove the rock, and try to flush the worm out by dripping seltzer water into its hole. If thats not possible, you can also try rigging up a baited trap. I have used a two foot length of clear hose placing one end over its hole and baiting the far end with a piece of shrimp meat. Am sure others have more methods and will hopefully chime in.

Chuck

Current Tank Info: 80 gal, numerous corals, dsb, 20gal sump/fuge
charlesr1958 is offline   Reply With Quote