Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/15/2010, 10:01 PM   #3601
Nomnivore
Registered Member

Hello, I’m new to the Marine Hobby

Hello everyone, nice to meet you all =), my name is Michael and I am from Bradenton, Florida.

I have been taking care of a 150 gal tank for about a while now but I am still very novice at this hobby. It was a rough start at first (I’ll elaborate later =P) but everything seems to getting better now. I do water changes every two weeks and always check the water quality weekly. I currently have:
A powder Brown Tang
A Sailfin Tang
A Yellow Tang
A Blue Hippo Tang
2 Damsels
A gobie that loves to sift though sand for food
And a Mystery wrasse (I emphasize MYSTERYcuz I still don’t know what kind it is =()

They all seem to be getting along well for now but the sailfin and the powder brown chases each other around some time and the wrasse and the gobie seems to challenge each other sometimes but nothing too dramatic. It’s almost like a love/hate relationship between those two lol =P

About the rough start,
When we first got the tank, someone we knew else was setting it up and getting the water ready. Once it was ready he put 7 damsels in there, (7 DAMSELS!! OMG)and a a big angelfish -__-. There were wounds on the angelfish at first and then it passed away ><. Most of the damsels were returned but my main gripe was that how can someone make a novice mistake like that, he should have known better =( but anywho, I digress,. I look forward to reading some awesome advice and tips
Thank you,
Michael =)

here is a link to photos of my tank =) http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...20Fish%20Tank/

Last edited by Nomnivore; 12/15/2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: add a link to my photos =)
Nomnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2010, 07:44 AM   #3602
Jake622
Registered Member

Hello,
I am new to this. Always wanted a marine tank but never began. I recently moved and the house has a 350 gallon tank that has not been in use. I have read a lot and am now beginning to make some changes to get it up and running.

Jake622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2010, 12:45 AM   #3603
skud
Registered Member

hello from australia

Hi Everyone,

I have just started to cycle my 1st reef tank. It is 3ft x 18w x 20h and holds 200L including the sump. I have started the cycle with 20 kg prime LR. Here is a photo.

Looking forward to chatting about reef tanks.

Skud

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3538 - Small.jpg (45.2 KB, 10 views)
skud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2010, 08:43 AM   #3604
kpl519
Registered Member

Hi all I am relativley new. I have had a salt water tank in my home for a year and a half or so. I started off with a 55gallon with 10 gallon sump, a rio 2500 return pump, 2 175 20K metal halides, a G series ASM skimmer, 1 Koralia 4, 1 Koralia 3 and 1 Koralia 1 for water movement. I stocked it with an algae blenny (Salarias fasciatus), divided wrasse (female Macropharyngodon bipartitus), 4 yellow coris wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus), and a Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthrurum). I knew the 55 was to small for the purple tang but I also knew I would be upgrading to a larger tank with in 6 months so I purchased him. I moved to a new house last week and set up a 125 with a 55 gallon sump and a 6ft corallife light with 3 250 10K metal halides and 4 96w 420nm compacts florescents and 4 blue led night lights.

It is running and everyone is doing well in their new home. This tank has 100lbs of black live sand and ~100lbs of cured live rock that was in use before I moved it into this tank. I also put in the live rock from the 55 and the water to help with the bio filtration, I have the same skimmer until I can upgrade and the same koralias with the addition of a maxijet 900 and 1200 to get the water kicking. I am at the sit and wait stage now waiting for every thing to settle in. In a few months I hope to add some corals and more fish.

I have been lurking for awhile but I hope to become a more active member on this site. I would really like to learn how to keep chalices my BF loves them.

kpl519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2010, 10:48 AM   #3605
PLAIN SALTY
Registered Member

Hello RC. I have been playing with saltwater for about ten years now. I don't consider myself an expert, but a seasoned hobbyist. I look forward to conversing with many people and trading stories. I currently have a 100 gallon reef tank with two hang on coral life MH lights with the addition of actinic lighting. My wife just bought me a new anemone last night so I'm trying to figure out what it is exactly. It has about 5 to 7 inch tentacles and is about 5 inches wide across the disk. The pigment is brown, the base is organge and the underside of the disk has white spots like a strawberry anemone but different colors. Any ideas?

Current Tank Info: 100 gallon reef tank
PLAIN SALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2010, 05:56 PM   #3606
norcalfish
Registered Member

New to RC

Hi everyone, new to RC and ready to dive in.

4yrs with a 55-reef that needs a lot of time and $$$

Excited about researching some good DIY and getting some help with my pitfalls in my current setup.

norcalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2010, 10:05 PM   #3607
bata-bata
Registered Member

hello all,
my name is wawan, im from indonesia.
my curent tank 125x60x60cm
sump 80x40x40
aquabee 200nw skimmer
1/2pk chiller
phosguard + carbon + biopellet
starting from july 2010
hopefully can get lots of friend and lessons here

thanks

Current Tank Info: 125x60x60
bata-bata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2010, 10:11 AM   #3608
amanofego
Registered Member

milwaukee,wi

new to the hobby just started setting up a 20gal long sw tank

Last edited by amanofego; 12/18/2010 at 10:48 AM.
amanofego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2010, 08:04 PM   #3609
Cowgirlup9
Registered Member

New here. I currently have two tanks a small biocube which has been up for about a year now. And a 72g that's been up for almost 3 months. I wish I would have found this place a lot sooner. Maybe it would have saved me some agony especially with my anemone disaster

Cowgirlup9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2010, 02:08 PM   #3610
DMMoulton
Registered Member

New to Forum, New to Saltwater

Hi Everyone:

My name is Dave. I'm new to the forum, and while I've kept tropical freshwater aquariums for many years, I'm now branching out into the realm of saltwater aquariums for the first time. Presently, I have a 29-gallon aquarium with a standard 20-watt fluorescent hood lamp. My salinity is set, pH looks good too. I'm cycling the tank with three striped damsels and about 11 pounds of live rock (2 large pieces). The live rock and the damsels have been in the tank for about 3 weeks. I'm planning on giving it another 2 weeks or so, and then I'll bring the damsels back for store credit to be used toward other things.

I'm somewhat limited in what I can do with the tank due to its small size, but I'd be interested and appreciative of any ideas and guidance that others may be able to offer.

Dave

DMMoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2010, 04:35 PM   #3611
bewrong
Registered Member

Hello Reef Central!
I originally joined this site in 2007. I did a lot of reading, and decided this hobby would demand more time and money than I cared to part with!
However, continued trips to my LFS have won me over! AND, my girlfriend surprised me this December with a new 29g Biocube for my birthday/Christmas!
So here I am again, reading like mad. I'm not in too big of a hurry, as I would like to do this right! I'll keep reading, and deciding how to best spend my pennies (lol)!
John
Salt Lake City, Utah

bewrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2010, 09:42 PM   #3612
raycharles
Registered Member

Well, its finally time for me to post my first response on this thread. My name is Brandon, I am 21 and a full time student at UNC-Charlotte in NC. I am fairly new to the salt water hobby. I started a 55 gal tank with just the bare minimums and now i have a 29 gallon sump. I then made my own stand that will fit a 75 gal that i hope to get once i move out of my apartment. Every thing is going awesome and looking good! Learning as i go.

raycharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2010, 01:25 PM   #3613
stagger_lee
Registered Member

Noob here!

First of all thanks to all the members on here posting answers to problems. i have already learned so much just by reading. Just bought my son and I a 12g Nano to start out. Got a mentor walking me through this hobby and hooking me up with first hand knowledge. Priceless! I am looking forward to many years of reefin. Thanks all!

stagger_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2010, 05:15 PM   #3614
UnusualSuspect
Registered Member

Hi everybody. I've been keeping freshwater tanks for about 12 or 13 years now, and have only recently decided to set up my first marine tank. I've had an account here at Reef Central for a couple of years, and have been lurking.

Got to say - I'm geeked to get started. I've been looking over the aquascaping threads looking for ideas - got to say, there are some beautiful tanks on display here.

I recently tore down a 36 bow that was a CO2-injected, high tech plant tank and am in the process of moving it into my home office and getting it ready for my first marine build. I have a great LFS, lots of support and advice there. Coupled with knowledge gained here at Reef Central, I should be in great shape!

Mike

UnusualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2010, 03:29 AM   #3615
sergebmw2
Registered Member

Cool HI iam new here

Hi everyone iam sergey and iam new to the hobby and to the forum. As i have been reading this forum, i came to a one conclusion that i need to be doing a lot of reading and as a matter of fact i have been for the last 9 months. Iam currently working on a 125 g setup. i have a 55 gallon sump, but as i have been reading its not the best to use for some reason. i have so many questions and iam looking to getting to know you guys here :P... i was wondering for my sump and the return pump what should i use i have a pcx-55hp and a Reeflo Hammerhead Pump 5800gph. I was wondering if i would be able to use the pump to circulate the flow and run a protein skimmer and run some water back into the sump all at the same time. i have 2 1" drains and 2 returns that are 1" as well maybe i need to make the drain bigger? or should i stick with the pcx-55hp ? please help i want to get the best flow and use out of my stuff. o btw i have a gx-2400 that came with my protein skimmer i was wondering if that is even a good model to use for a protein skimmer that about 24" tall 13 " wide its a down draft style. thank you so much for your help and iam looking forward to talking and meeting all you guys here.

sergebmw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2010, 08:02 AM   #3616
willy7499
Registered Member

I am only 1 1/2 years into reef tanks although I have kept Freshwater tanks for 20 years. I have already upgraded from a 44 pentagon to a 120 and started to upgrade my equipment. I have found this site invaluable to help me with problems that I have encountered, avoid those I haven't had yet, and read other's experiences with equipment.

Cheers

Unread 12/21/2010, 08:15 AM   #3617
rstansfield
Registered Member

Hey everyone!

I am just getting started...which means I am researching to find out the best way to get started. I have looked into the 29 ga biocubes Which seem real nice and easy but so many people have upgraded so fast after they get started. It seems like a better idea to get something bigger. Looking for some ideas on the do's and don't. i REALLY like the 65 gal RR setup!!...Robbie

rstansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2010, 05:42 PM   #3618
Jorsh!
Registered Member

Hello everyone and RC, new? yes in the forum, old? yes in the reef, i got a lot of doubts, but before let me introduce myself, my name is jorsh, ive got a reef 90 gllns with zeovit, vortech, KZ revolution, Eheim, MH & t5 etc. i want to congratulate all the patience that reef need and give all of you a big hug!

Jorsh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2010, 06:07 PM   #3619
endlessreef
Registered Member

New to Reef Central

Hi guys I've been in this awesome hobby for a good 6+ years and no matter what I can't seem to quit. Addicted! I've been upgrading and downgrading since the start of this hobby, I would like to make good friends to share my experience and learn from anyone and everyone, PM me and or Buddy me, We can do trades or group buys.

endlessreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2010, 07:46 PM   #3620
JPhan1
Registered Member

Hello everyone. My name is jason from st. Louis, MO and fairly new to the hobby. I just set up my first marine tank about 8 weeks ago which is 65g rr with 60 lbs of lr 50 lbs of sand 4" volitan lionfish, 3" spiny box puffer, and 3" pinktail trigger which is in QT.

JPhan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2010, 07:53 PM   #3621
ACRO AL
Registered Member

Hi From Australia

Hi my names allan, aka ACRO AL
I have been in the hobby/ industry for about 5 years, and own a website and sell coral all over australia.

I am currently in the process of getting my export license to be able to sell Australian coral world wide.

I have joined this forum to have a browse in general.
regards
al

ACRO AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2010, 01:01 AM   #3622
webfinger
Registered Member

Just throwing a Hi out there as the thread says to introduce yourself here first so that is what I'm doing. I've got more experience with reef tanks than I do internet forums, which might not be saying much.

I'm in the process of setting up a new 180 gallon tank. I started off with FW tanks when I was a kid and graduated to SW about 10 years ago after my wife got me into it.

We have numerous small tanks around the house, a 150 gallon FW tank and a 75 gallon reef tank that isn't as successful as I'd like so that is the reason for the new tank. I joined the forum on the advice from my LFS that this is the best one on the net so I've been poking around and reading threads for a week or so.

webfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2010, 09:54 AM   #3623
MelissaJay
Registered Member

Noob alert!

Hello all.... I'm a total noob to reef tanks but will persevere. I have 120g homemade tank that has been maturing for about 8 weeks now. I currently have a couple of zoos, a mushroom coral and a mystery coral I think might be a galaxia. I also have 4 damsels, a Percula clown and a bubbletip anemone, 24 scarlett hermits, 20 astrea snails and 6 mexican turbos. Anyone out there in the Tampa Bay area that might have some insight or a brain I might pick is welcome to contact me. Thanks!

MelissaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2010, 10:51 AM   #3624
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfinger View Post
Just throwing a Hi out there as the thread says to introduce yourself here first so that is what I'm doing. I've got more experience with reef tanks than I do internet forums, which might not be saying much.

I'm in the process of setting up a new 180 gallon tank. I started off with FW tanks when I was a kid and graduated to SW about 10 years ago after my wife got me into it.

We have numerous small tanks around the house, a 150 gallon FW tank and a 75 gallon reef tank that isn't as successful as I'd like so that is the reason for the new tank. I joined the forum on the advice from my LFS that this is the best one on the net so I've been poking around and reading threads for a week or so.

To Reef Central
If it's information you want you've come to the right place. Don't forget to start a new thread when you get your 180 up and running. many people will like to see the process from the beginning.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2010, 10:54 AM   #3625
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaJay View Post
Hello all.... I'm a total noob to reef tanks but will persevere. I have 120g homemade tank that has been maturing for about 8 weeks now. I currently have a couple of zoos, a mushroom coral and a mystery coral I think might be a galaxia. I also have 4 damsels, a Percula clown and a bubbletip anemone, 24 scarlett hermits, 20 astrea snails and 6 mexican turbos. Anyone out there in the Tampa Bay area that might have some insight or a brain I might pick is welcome to contact me. Thanks!

To Reef Central
Check out RC's local forums there are a couple that are from florida. I bet you will find one close to you.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral