Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/02/2011, 07:32 PM   #3901
highhopes592003
Registered Member

Howdy all

i just wanted to send out a big Hello amd how are ya to everyone. My name is Kim and have had a hex saltwater set up for a couple years now and wanting to step up in tank size to a reef tank. I am excited and trying to get all the info I can to absorb it all so I can do right by my new tank to be and the critters in it. If anyone would know of some good books or sites to go too. Id greatly appreciate it. It sure is nice meeting you all on here and everyone have a good evening !!!!!

highhopes592003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2011, 07:42 PM   #3902
nicisreef
Registered Member

Hi there :)

Hello,

My name is Nici ( like Nikki ) .... I had a 60 gallon tank about 8 years ago.... but then I had my daughters and it was just too much being a new mom and maintaining the tank... I was young, didn't know how to juggle yet

I've been wanting another tank for some time now.... and to be honest, I didn't really know what I was doing the first time around. I guess I just got lucky that everything stayed alive and healthy...but this time around, I really need to educate myself so I don't unintentionally torture my poor fish.

So I recently bought an already established 29 gallon Oceanic Biocube... I've had it maybe 2 weeks...it came with a Tomato Clown and a Royal Dotty Back with the live rocks... but I'd notice the clown picking on the dotty back.... after about a week, we bought the anemone, a lawnmower blenny and I think it's called a fire shrimp(?) * he's red with white dots and long white whisker looking things and he looks kind of like a lobster * ... so those and then some hermit crabs.... all have been doing well...but the clown was then more aggressive and I ended up taking him to the pet shop so they could rehome him... we got a percula clown, hoping he'd like the anemone...yeah, he doesn't.

The lighting the tank came with was a 10K Coralife 36watt and a Coralife Actinic 36watt... I didn't realize that the Actinic one was burnt out... so the tank had been operating on just the one light until the new 50/50 lights arrived yesterday... switched them out and when I woke up this morning, I noticed that the anemone was out of his spot and in another and upside down... he never did that before. If you look at the attached pictures, tank 1 is just the tank... .tank 2 is the anemone ( what kind is that please?)... if you're looking at the tank, he's normally in the front on the left side.... so I put him right side up and he moved to the far right of the tank and put himself in between the rocks like that.... then in tank 3 ( maybe 5 minutes after he put himself on the far right, he moved himself to the back of the left side.... not sure what he's doing and I'm wondering if he's unhappy? The only change has been the lighting..he seemed fine before that.

I did a quick search and I think think you guys mentioned something called bleaching?... it's a bit hard to see in the picture but he's pretty white with the purple dotted tip... is that not his normal healthy color?

Also, what is he supposed to be eating and how often? I was told to rotate between Kent's PhytoPlex, ChromaPlex, and Coral-Vite and feed once a week.... but that's it. Is that right?

I tested the water a bit ago and the pH is 7.8-8.0, Nitrite at a safe level, Alk at an ideal level ( according to the chart ), but the Nitrate level is ridiculous high.... it's showing 200+ ... some grass stuff has been growing like crazy ( as you can see in the pics ) and this red algae stuff just popped up out of nowhere.... going to take a water sample to the pet shop so they can tell me what to do... what do you think?

Wow, my intro was pretty long... sorry about that... and thank you so much for your help and advice

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank 1.jpg (5.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg tank 2.jpg (7.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg tank 3.jpg (6.3 KB, 6 views)
nicisreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2011, 07:52 PM   #3903
nicisreef
Registered Member

darn, sorry, didn't realize the pictures were super tiny.... the anemone looks like the first three pics Nebthet posted on http://reefcentral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1946820

Thanks again

nicisreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2011, 10:33 PM   #3904
yikesjason
Registered Member

I have done well with planted freshwater tanks and even added discus. Now I am thinking about doing my first salty. I am starting to make plans for a 12 gal Mr. Aqua bookcase tank. I have already found a couple of amazing and inspirational 12 gal bookcase tanks.

yikesjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2011, 07:46 AM   #3905
dilrk_27
Registered Member

new to reef central

Hi reefers,
My name is Kari and I am completely new to the saltwater experience. I am interested in starting a FOWLR aquarium around 60 gallon. I haven't bought anything yet because I am still researching and understanding all of the equipment I need. I finally decided to register for this site because I read a lot of the material here. Very helpful! Anyways, I'm so excited to start a saltwater aquarium.

dilrk_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2011, 07:47 PM   #3906
beejes
Registered Member.

looking for advice and friends

Hello! My name is Bobbie-Jo. I have a 34 gal solana with the halide light. I have had it for about 1 year. I'm going this weekend and buying a 125gal all fish. I want to convert this tank to a friendly reef. I'm going to have many questions and need lots of help if anyone is interested in giving advice and working with me that would be absolutly great. I've spent many hours doing my research but it's never as good as getting someone with experience to help. The fish in the tank currently are 1 lion fish, 1 stars and stripes puffer, 1 porcupine puffer, and 3 black damsels. There is only about 20 -30 lbs of live rock and 1/2 inch to 1 inch sand bed. I would like to sell the fish, buy lots more live rock and eventually transfer my 34 gal inhabitants to this 125g and let it grow. I'm in southern Indiana. If there is anyone local or anyone willing to help with advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

beejes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2011, 08:30 PM   #3907
M and J
Registered Member

Hello

We just wanted to say hello after we finally joined the forum that has answered 99% of the questions we have had while setting up our first saltwater aquarium. I am sure you will be seeing a lot of questions from us on here...and maybe with time we will even be answering a few lol. We have had our 55 gallon up for a little over a month now (and have already decided we want to upgrade ha ha)and have started to add some more things now that our cycle is over, nothing fancy, but we are very excited to start adding corals when our lighting comes in (hopefully monday if ups allows lol). This is the first hobby both myself and my fiance have had in common so this has brought us closer together...with the exception of us fighting over where to place the live rock lol! So you will be hearing from both of us in the future. Anyway we just wanted to introduce ourselves and we look forward to making some friends on here!

Mila & Joe

M and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2011, 01:51 AM   #3908
chadblondiau
Registered Member

Hey everyone

chadblondiau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2011, 07:40 PM   #3909
skish2
Registered Member

Hello All

Hello all my name is Shawn and I haven't started my first tank yet. (This July when I move into my new apartment) I've run a ton of fresh water tanks and was finally ready to take on the challenge of maintaining a saltwater aquarium. I've been reading a lot of you guys forum posts and gotten a lot of great ideas of how I'm going to tackle the project of my filtration. I appreciate the help in advance and any help will be welcome! Nice meeting you guys and it'll be a pleasure posting with you!

skish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2011, 08:33 PM   #3910
LaRue05
Registered Member

Hey folks... new to the forums and the hobby itself. I've been doing lots of reading the last couple of weeks trying to prepare myself for what I'll be jumping into.

My goal is to convert a 30-40gallon freshwater tank into a reef ready tank; and then start off the whole hobby by curing dry rock for a couple of months.

LaRue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2011, 08:44 AM   #3911
njw26
Registered Member

Thanks

just wanted to say thanks to everyone at RC for all the helpful information

njw26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2011, 02:14 PM   #3912
paraphish
Registered Member

Hello

Hi all,
My name is Ben. I started in freshwater about 15 years ago. I made the leap to reef keeping about 2 years ago. I have a 75g mixed reef with:
2x 175w MH, 2x 96w PCs, 2 LED moonlights
Reef Octopus Extreme 160
Eheim 1260 in a 29g sump w/ refugium
2x vortech MP40w ES
Tunze Osmolator

My tank is primarily LPS dominated. I am particularly fond of unusual zoanthids and ricordea. I recently joined FWMAS in Ft. Wayne, IN. I hope to meet some friends and get some good advice here on the forums.

-Ben

paraphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2011, 10:20 PM   #3913
J.Olson
Registered Member

Hello my name is Justin. I am starting out with a 30gal with a aquaclear 70 and just kinda picking up a couple pieces a month until the tank is set up and then it will be full throttle from there.

J.Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2011, 11:06 AM   #3914
smaug1
Registered Member

new guy with a new mantis

Hello folks. I have been changing my 20 gal bw tank to full salt water for the past 3 wks.I also just bought a mantis shrimp just this past Friday,he was sold to me as a clown,but he is a very drab one if so.I will post some questions in the appropriate forum here shortly.

smaug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2011, 01:08 PM   #3915
CaliforniaKeith
Registered Member

Newbie from So. Cal.

Hi Everyone. My name is Keith and I am a soon to be retired postman from the San Fernando Valley in Southern Cal. I will be relocating to a different state soon. Not sure where, have scouted out Southern Oregon, Idaho parts of Washington, who knows where I will land. I have spent countless hours on this site absorbing as much as I possible can. I have decided that in my retirement that this hobby is is where I am going. I have some pictures of the beginning of my setup and I would appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed. My son Chauncey came upon a 65 gallon acrylic Truvu and I also have what I believe is an old 48"x20x12 glass model. I plan on using those as either sumps or a refugium. I will be purchasing a 125 gallon DT which will be the centerpiece. It will be located where the Truvu is in these photo's. I wanted to get this thing plumbed, and equipped and ready to go while I am in still in So. Cal so when I do relocate I will be ready to roll. I want to do that here because I will be in need of some assistance as I truly do not have the ability to accomplish this on my own, at this time anyways. While as I stated earlier I have been reading all your posts and explanations of your setups, quite frankly I am a little bit overwhelmed by all the possiblities. Which Lighting? What pumps? what type of UV Sterlizer? What type of skimmer? Etc Etc. It's a little bit confusing. At any rate I was lucky enough to come upon several of these heavy duty metal shelving units and I plan on framing the whole thing in oak and I will certainly be able to mount the lighting very easily from above. So please if any of you have time please let me know what you think. Thanks for having me on board, Thanks,Keith
I had 5 pics that I had attached but apparently I have not learned the appropriate way to go about that. Sorry, I will try again later in another post

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1363.jpg (66.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by CaliforniaKeith; 03/06/2011 at 02:01 PM.
CaliforniaKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2011, 01:35 PM   #3916
CaliforniaKeith
Registered Member

additional pics from So Cal Newbie

Sorry about that here are the other four

IMG_1361.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

CaliforniaKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2011, 02:58 PM   #3917
pandimus
Registered Member

Hey All..

My name is Johnny, I am just getting started in the hobby. I picked up a 125 Glass tank from CL about a year ago for 50 dollars. It needs to be cleaned, drilled and the stand/hood completely redone. I am about to have shoulder surgery and after that i will be starting on my stand. I was also given a 20 gallon sump, but i dont think that will be big enough.. So i think i will end up buying a 40 gal tank and turning it into a sump..

Good to meet you all.

pandimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2011, 03:15 PM   #3918
tidenknox
Registered Member

Still trying to learn this challenging hobby

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

Last March I bought a house that already had a 110 gallon FOWLR aquarium built in to one of the walls. I must say that is has been a frustrating year as far as trying to figure out the do's and dont's of this hobby. Currently I have 5 fish in my tank and want to add more. Unfortunately I have purchased 6-8 fish from one of my local LFS that have died. My current tank inhabitants are:

1 Blue Damsel (regret this one for sure. Too aggressive)
1 Flame Hawkfish
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Hippo Tang

I am running a sump with protein skimmer and trickle filtration. Currently using Bio-zorb pouches as my filter meida. I am only guessing but I would say I have 75-100 lbs of live rock in my tank. There are lots of fish out there I am interested in adding to my tank but I am fearful of them dying. Right now I am trying to figure out if I want to setup a QT since the old owner pretty much left me everything I needed to set one up (with the exception of a filter which is currently seeding in my sump).

I would appreciate any advice you could give me. I do frequent water changes but my nitrate levels still seem to run in the 20-40 ppm range and PH seems to be low as well. Any suggestions?

tidenknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2011, 07:16 PM   #3919
ozzyfan121
Registered Member

Hello

Hello members of RC. My name is Jacob. I'm 15 years old and have been in the hobby of fish keeping for about 4 years but just recently started my first reef tank. Thanks for all of your help and I hope that I'll be able to give some as well.

ozzyfan121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2011, 09:47 PM   #3920
lastadam
Registered Member

Hello... David here... i have 4 years of cichlid experience but recently sold all my stock so I can convert to saltwater. 125G is clean now. Haven't bought anything yet as i am still reading reading reading reading reading reading. Hopefully i am ready to purchase this week. Looking for a simple fowlr, very lightly stocked. Tank is not drilled. I won't be doing hob and sump for now to keep this simple in the beginning until i get the experience. I understand i would be needing aragonite, LR, ro/di, protein skimmer (hob?), refractometer, ph meter heater, powerheads. I hope someone can tell me this is all i need for now as basic. Cheers!

lastadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2011, 12:48 PM   #3921
tomwilcox
Registered Member

New Addict

Hi everyone. I have just been bitten by the bug!
I am really new and will have lots of questions. I have a 72gal bowfront that has been up and running for about 3 weeks.
I am from SE South Dakota and will be joining the Sioux Falls Area Aquarium Society soon. If there are any members reading this I'd appreciate a shout!
Thanks
Tom

tomwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2011, 08:24 PM   #3922
Anthony.Luciano
Registered Member.

Hey My name is A.J. ive been a member for a couple of months now but just recently started using it this week. im 15 and in high school. i have a 125 gallon display tank and a 55 gallon sump. its my first big saltwater tank so ive made some big mistakes when i started and am now about to tear it apart and rebuild it the right way.

Anthony.Luciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2011, 09:09 PM   #3923
HRHS Nolan
Registered Member

My name is Nolan. The science department at Highlands Ranch High School (HRHS) in Littleton, CO received 9 tanks last year all donated by people in the community and now we have a Reef Club. It has been a blast to see students and faculty take an interest, buy fish, name the fish, and help us at our Frag Swaps. This April 16, HRHS will host our 3rd Swap (I will keep you posted) and plan to include short seminars for beginners and possibly raffle off a tank. I hope to use MAS of CO to get professional advise with the couple problems we are having in lighting and quarantining fish. Thanks.

HRHS Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2011, 11:24 PM   #3924
kxthor911
Registered Member

Well Hello everyone, my name is Nick. I live in louisiana and my first love is motorsports. I guess I'm just looking for something to calm down with and to do when its raining. I would like to start a saltwater tank but know nothing about the subject. Bought a book and its helping but could use some first hand knowledge from some old pros. I would like the tank to be 55 to 70 gallons and would like some fish but am really interested in a reef tank. Everyone have a great night.

kxthor911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2011, 01:10 PM   #3925
later_gater
Registered Member

New to RC

Hello everyone. My name is Dan and I am new to RC. I've been running a 240 FO for about 9yrs and I am know in the planning proccess of converting it into a reef. I finally decided to pull the trigger. :boun
ce2:Lots of great stuff here. So far it has been very helpful.

Thanks

later_gater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral