Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/18/2019, 09:37 AM   #51
LQT
Registered Member

Thanks Eric! I’m just putting the tank on cruise control right now. I am overfeeding a bit and the skimmer and ATS are doing a fine job of nutrient control. I do intend to add a few more fish in the coming weeks before adding any sticks.

Now my next big decision is whether to go with my CaRx setup or 2 part dosing with ATI Essentials Pro using my DOS and DDR set up. The Trident along with its ability to aid with dosing corrections to maintain more stable Alk and Ca definitely has me intrigued. I will be following your your Trident experience very closely!

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2019, 02:18 PM   #52
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I should really update my build thread, but it's embarrassing how little my tank has grown in 2 years. I think starting with dry rock and jumping right into a CaRx without much demand really set me back dramatically. And I spent an embarrassing amount of money on coral that died because of lack of stability. Oh well, live and learn.

For your tank just starting over (you're not transferring anything, right, this is a whole new setup and new corals?), I'd recommend just doing kalk in the topoff if possible, or make an in-line kalk dispenser similar to the Tunze one, and that should hold you over for the first year or two. Then buy a bomb-diggity calcium reactor or two part setup (or both, as Neptune recommends with the Trident ).

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2019, 02:34 PM   #53
LQT
Registered Member

I have actually have all three.

- Avast K1 kalkwasser stirrer with an Avast 25 ml/min peristaltic feed pump

- Geo’s Reef CR612 CaRx & SMC415 secondary chamber, Watson Marlow 505u peristaltic feed pump and my custom DIY stainless Victor dual stage CO2 regulator

- Neptune DOS & DDR as well as a pair of BRS 1.1 ml/min dosers

Just trying to decide on which one to go with for this tank. This tank is new from scratch, no transfers. Either way, I’ll be taking my time as I want more fish and a few months of demonstrated stability before adding coral.

Unread 06/18/2019, 03:53 PM   #54
LQT
Registered Member

I did add a stainless steel pull bar to the stand door to aid in easier door removal during routine maintenance. Set up the Neptune AFS as well.

Unread 06/19/2019, 04:59 AM   #55
RXCoral
RXCoral

Such a methodical build! I love it. How do you like the RB XHO? I’m currently using ATI as well, and wonder if it’s worth the upgrade for my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's worse things to spend money on, but I'd rather just stick to fish😂
RXCoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2019, 05:36 AM   #56
LQT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHARMLIFE View Post
Such a methodical build! I love it. How do you like the RB XHO? I’m currently using ATI as well, and wonder if it’s worth the upgrade for my tank.

Thank you for the kind words. I actually only use the ReefBrite XHO for 2 hours per day, essentially as a moon light for an hour before the T5s come on and an hour after the T5’s go off. My intention is for the T5s to do all the heavy lifting. With 3 Blue Plus and 3 Coral Plus bulbs in my Sunpower, I’m essentially trying mimic Big E’s (a known Acropora guru on the forums) lights. Hopefully once I add coral, the results will follow as well. For aesthetic reasons, I ordered my XHO strip in the silver housing through Premium Aquatics to match the silver ATI Sunpower fixture. When the T5s are on, the RB housing also serves as a great glare blocker, shielding your eyes from the intensity of the T5s when viewing the tank head on. All in all, I’m quite happy with my ReefBrite purchase and how I’m using it for my tank.

Unread 06/19/2019, 06:38 AM   #57
RXCoral
RXCoral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQT View Post
Thank you for the kind words. I actually only use the ReefBrite XHO for 2 hours per day, essentially as a moon light for an hour before the T5s come on and an hour after the T5’s go off. My intention is for the T5s to do all the heavy lifting. With 3 Blue Plus and 3 Coral Plus bulbs in my Sunpower, I’m essentially trying mimic Big E’s (a known Acropora guru on the forums) lights. Hopefully once I add coral, the results will follow as well. For aesthetic reasons, I ordered my XHO strip in the silver housing through Premium Aquatics to match the silver ATI Sunpower fixture. When the T5s are on, the RB housing also serves as a great glare blocker, shielding your eyes from the intensity of the T5s when viewing the tank head on. All in all, I’m quite happy with my ReefBrite purchase and how I’m using it for my tank.

Thanks for your reply! I haven’t seen Big E’s build/tank, but it sounds like a great idea. That would definitely help with some of the glare from the fixture. I have the same exact ATI bulb combo running currently, and have some clip on actinic LEDs just for nighttime viewing aesthetics.

There's worse things to spend money on, but I'd rather just stick to fish😂
RXCoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2019, 08:14 AM   #58
LQT
Registered Member

Just did a quick check on the progress of my Turbo’s Aquatics L2 Rev4 ATS. It has been running for a month now. I have it at about 25% intensity with the potentiometer dimming knob at the 6 o’clock position, running for about 9 hours a day opposite of my DT lights. I was expecting the slime growth stage, common with most ATS screen break in periods. To my surprise, I have a nice and even layer of firmly attached hair algae developing on the screen. I may look into either upping the intensity or increasing the photoperiod to get some faster growth now that the screen seems to have broken in properly. Very impressed with the performance of this ATS thus far!

Unread 06/25/2019, 12:43 PM   #59
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Looks good Leon!

Are you dosing anything to counter the uptake from the algae? When I did a triton after running an algae reactor (and then having some pretty severe coral issues), I found that I had really low potassium and iodine. I started dosing Red Sea Coral Colors, and could see some of the montipora color up within 24 hours of dosing. And if I stopped dosing, the coloration would stop. I don't know why else my water was so stripped of elements, but a few people suggested that it was from the algae reactor. Just something to think about.

Unread 06/25/2019, 12:48 PM   #60
LQT
Registered Member

Yeah, I’m about 2 months away from adding coral to the tank. What’s cool about this scrubber is you can reduce the light intensity which should decrease nutrient uptake. Right now with my overfeeding of 4 fish, I’m still getting .075 phosphates and around 10 or so in nitrates. No other supplentation as yet.

Unread 08/04/2019, 07:45 AM   #61
Njdevils1220
Registered Member

This is awesome. Nice creativity and craftsmanship.

Njdevils1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2019, 08:09 AM   #62
LQT
Registered Member

Thanks! Everything is running quite smoothly right now. I’m pretty much overfeeding my fish with LRS Nano frozen food and the ATS is keeping my nutrients in check at around 5ppm nitrates and .06 in phosphates. Probably about a week or two away from adding my first acros. Been keeping a diligent eye out on the forums for a reasonably priced Acro frag pack... stay tuned!

Unread 08/06/2019, 08:05 PM   #63
LQT
Registered Member

Tank has been running quite well thus far. Will be picking up my first acro frags from a local reefer for this tank tomorrow. In preparation, I got my DOS and DDR rigged up to dose ATI Essentials Pro. I’m gonna go with the ATI 2 part system in the early stages and see how it goes. As the tank matures, I’ll get the calcium reactor and kalk stirrer on line.

Unread 08/17/2019, 07:58 PM   #64
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Looking good. What corals did you add? Should I just follow your other thread? :-/

Unread 08/18/2019, 08:56 AM   #65
LQT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Looking good. What corals did you add? Should I just follow your other thread? :-/
Hey Eric! I actually got some really nice pieces... a Walt Disney, Oregon Tort, ORA Pearlberry, Cali Tort, Hawkins Echinata, a purple milli, orange digi and a few nice colorful no name acros as well. All seem it be doing fine so far.

Unfortunately, my tank isn’t exactly that photogenic right now. I broke the needlewheel impeller shaft to my skimmer recently while cleaning it and went skimmerless for a number of days while awaiting a replacement impeller. An annoying outbreak of GHA has taken a foothold as a result. The tank is fairly new so it’s not an unexpected issue, it just got helped along with the skimmer being down for almost a week. I’m making progress against it with some extra snails, manual removal and water changes.

Also, don’t worry! I’m updating my build threads in both places simultaneously. In fact, this RC thread is the most up to date!

Unread 09/03/2019, 09:19 AM   #66
E.intheC
Registered Member

How’s the tank going? Were you able to get the hair algae under control?

Unread 09/03/2019, 04:36 PM   #67
LQT
Registered Member

Fishing in Block Island currently. Will do an update when I get back!

Unread 09/09/2019, 06:20 PM   #68
LQT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.intheC View Post
How’s the tank going? Were you able to get the hair algae under control?
Tank is settling in nicely. The GHA definitely took a serious foothold for nearly a month. I added some extra snails and a Lawnmower Blenny. I added some GFO in a media bag and increased the photo period to my ATS and did a week or so of serious manual removal and the GHA has subsided significantly. The algae in the DT is now very light in color and weakened significantly. The are a few sporadic patches here and there but it’s nothing to be concerned about IMO. Hopefully, this will mark the end of the new tank uglies for me!

The frags I got are doing well thus far. A few pieces have browned but that’s to be expected in a fairly new tank. I’m maintaining my Alk at a steady 8.5. So far, so good.

Unfortunately, I did lose my Midas Blenny. I was doing some manual GHA removal a few weeks back and he got over exited thinking it was LRS frozen food feeding time. He swam right into the MP40 and sliced up his side pretty badly. Total bummer!

Gonna do a water change and take a full tank shot soon... it’s long overdue.

Unread 09/12/2019, 09:50 AM   #69
LQT
Registered Member

Did a 15 gallon water change last night. So here’s my latest FTS. You can still see little tufts of GHA here and there but it’s sooo much better than it was 3 weeks ago.

Unread 09/12/2019, 09:54 AM   #70
LQT
Registered Member

Make no mistake, the ATS has done wonders in knocking back and out competing the GHA in the DT.

Unread 09/13/2019, 11:20 AM   #71
LQT
Registered Member

Unread 09/22/2019, 11:03 AM   #72
LQT
Registered Member

Another nice harvest...

Unread 09/29/2019, 06:43 PM   #73
LQT
Registered Member

Algae has pretty much fully receded in the DT. However, with the ATS fully mature producing, I fear that I may be running too clean. PO4 is at .021 ppm with a Hanna Pho’s ULR checker and NO3 is at 0 on a Red Sea Nitrate Pro test kit. I have since removed the GFO and cut back the ATS photoperiod to 10 hours at 25% intensity.

As far as livestock goes, I have 2 black ice snowflake ocellaris clowns, a royal gramma, a lawnmower blenny and a blood red fire shrimp. Today, I took out of QT, a midas blenny and a pair of green chromis. They seem to be enjoying their new home in the DT. I’ve been feeding 3X a day with LRS Nano Frenzy. In an effort to get more fish poo going, I will add some Ocean Nutrition Formula One pellets into the mix and upping feedings to 4X a day.

With the algae in the DT gone, I’m gonna try to work on getting readable nitrates over the next few weeks to provide more optimal conditions for the few acros I have in the tank.

Unread 09/30/2019, 12:49 PM   #74
LQT
Registered Member

Unread 10/10/2019, 11:50 PM   #75
LQT
Registered Member

My latest harvest from my ATS. Needles to say, I love this thing!