Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/27/2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Mandrew
Registered Member

DIY simple sump build HELP

Im wanting to build a simple cheap sump. Mainly for extra water volume and to remove some of my equipment from my DT. I do not want anything super fancy with multiple sections as far as I know. (or do I?) thats what im here for. I was thinking more along the lines of a rubber made tote that can hold a decent ammount of water and some live rock along with my HOB protein skimmer, heater, and HOB filter (that I run phosguard in). Just to clean things up and give me more volume. Would this be worth my time as far as keeping my tank happier? or would I be wasting time and money? Also if i were to do this, I would need an overflow box, since my tank is not drilled, and a pump. How do I know what pump to get for this? How many GPH is necessary?

Thanks for your time and opinions!

Last edited by Mandrew; 10/27/2013 at 09:57 AM.
Mandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2013, 11:31 AM   #2
MGM_
Registered Member

Lots of examples of various brute/rubber made sump systems on here or utube. Would need more info regarding tank size, what you intend to keep (fish/coral/type of coral etc). This would also be important for sizing your sump. Will sump be in basement?

3 Koralia 1400 gph- 2 x Tunze 6105
4-AI SOL RB LEDS
MGM_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2013, 12:07 PM   #3
madean
Registered Member

There are many different types of sumps that try to accomplish different objectives. I think you need to spend more time researching sumps and the various types here on rc and in other places on the internet. I think the research will help you make a better decision as to what you want to accomplish for your setup. There are high flow and low flow sumps. There are sumps that use plenums, reactors, probe holders, ato devices, refugiums, skimmer sections, algae scrubber sections, sumps that have holding sections that can be isolated from the system for treating sick fish or coral. The point is that a lot of things can be integrated into a sump or it can very simple. I think the best thing for you is to educate yourself immensely on sumps and see what others have done and figure out what you want in a sump. You need to look at all of your equipment and decide what will go in the sump and what will stay in the DT. You said you had a HOB skimmer, they need to have a certain water height to operate correctly and if you change the height of the pump or lower it in the sump it could change the efficiency of the skimmer when you put it in the sump. Sumps can use HOB skimmers but generally use in sump or external mounted skimmers. So there is a lot to think about. There is a lot for you to educate yourself on. But if there is any bit of advice that you must adhere to is this: when your tank looses power and you are using a siphon for water to leave you DT and go to the sump, the water will continue to leave the DT and enter the sump until the syphon is broken. You need to plan on this happening and allow room in the ump for this to happen. Design what ever sump you want and include what ever equipment you want. Heck design it with a UPS back up system so that when the power goes out you have back up power. BUT always design the system to allow for the power to go out and a certain amount of water to leave the DT and enter the sump. Its inevitable and this one point will save you a flood from a power outage, it will not save you from a leak from a tank or sump. Some things you can plan for and some things you cant. Good luck with this endeavor.

madean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Mandrew
Registered Member

I have a 60g tank, 4ft long. i have fish and im starting to get into corals, next coral purchases will be zoas and devils hand leather. Im planning to use the biggest tote I can fit under my tank in the new stand im having built. probably somewhere around 15 gallons of water in the tub. the sump will be just under the tank so the pump will have to push water around 3ft up into the tank.

Unread 10/27/2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Mandrew
Registered Member

Also my skimmer is a Reefoctopus BH1000 HOB rated for up to 100g

Unread 10/28/2013, 07:00 AM   #6
DrewBrees713
Moved On

I'd double that baby to prevent leaks or you could just use liner.

DrewBrees713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2013, 07:21 AM   #7
Mandrew
Registered Member

okay i was thinking about that, i seen one that had a small tote for the skimmer portion that had a port to leak into a bigger one for the rest of the sump ^.^ brilliant if you ask me.... LOL

Unread 10/28/2013, 08:00 AM   #8
asudavew
Registered Member

I used a tote for my 110 gallon freshwater for several years.
It worked just fine, but I did build a 2x4 frame around the top rim for support.
I attached the rim to my stand.

If I remember, Ill grab a pic tonight.

Current Tank Info: 180, 125, 75
asudavew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2013, 11:28 AM   #9
Mandrew
Registered Member

Okay cool, thanks!

Tags
diy, overflow, sump