Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2018, 09:20 PM   #1
Ignitros
Registered Member

Question I need help selecting which Hanna Checkers to purchase

I am currently using salifert tests and I'm getting frustrated with the color charts. The tests are easy to use but the color charts don't help me alot since I have trouble discerning the correct colors. I have heard good things about the Hanna Checkers. I just wonder which ones I should go with for a mixed reef tank. Which ones would you get?

Ignitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 09:47 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

The alkalinity meter seems to get good reviews on average, but the calcium meter has gotten more mixed reviews. The Phosphorus ULR Checker can be useful in diagnosing certain problems. What other parameters are you interested in checking?

Unread 01/21/2018, 09:28 AM   #3
lionfish300
Registered Member

I use Hanna for Alk and PO4 but not Calcium ( got rid of it)

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 10:29 AM   #4
Optionman
Registered Member

I use Hanna for Alk and PO4. Easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Optionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 02:07 PM   #5
josephxsxn
Registered Member

I have lots of HANA colorimeters and refactors: lr copper (ppb), iron, phosphate (ppm), alk (dkh), cal, ulr nitrite (ppb), saltwater refractometer. I love them all mostly because I hate judging colors, but in terms of most used: Alk, Cal, phosphate, iron (i dose iron, if you dose it test for it).

Many people didn't like the calcium colorimeter. My understanding is there was another version which did not include the micropipette and was just a plunger. Personally believe it does a fine job. But completely understand why it would be an impossible test with a plunger vs the pipette.

I also greatly appreciate the temperature compensation with the refractometer, it gives me great confidence that all may tanks in the house are in alignment and not just some fuzzy blue/white line reading... When the wife is taking care of mixing water or anything I trust her results a little more

If I got to do it again I would get the ULR (ppb) phosphate colorimeter, it would be more useful than the normal range one that is ppm, same with iron, it would have been better to get the LR that is ppb.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg hanakit.jpeg (81.6 KB, 62 views)
josephxsxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 11:33 PM   #6
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Complete test lab ^

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 01:03 AM   #7
tkeracer619
Registered Member

736 ulr phosphorus checker is the one to get for phosphates.

Josephxsxn, the Cu checker doesn't work with cupramine does it?

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 09:55 AM   #8
Volcmreefer
Registered Member

I second the calcium meter’s accuracy. I use Salifert for Calcium testing due to the variabilities I was getting with my Hanna Calcium results. Great meter for Alkalinity though!

Volcmreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 01:58 PM   #9
josephxsxn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
736 ulr phosphorus checker is the one to get for phosphates.

Josephxsxn, the Cu checker doesn't work with cupramine does it?

So I do not use Cupramine so I cannot speak for the accuracy of it with that product. I personally use Brightwell Cuprion. Cuprion states that it raises the ppm of ionic copper ~.20 ppm per drop (I love that its ~ lol..)

Here is a simple test for your information, I get asked all the time do I keep photos. Below is a half gallon of RO water which has 1 drop of Cuprion in it so I should end up around 0.4 ppm. Note that its all ~, and even the Low Range Copper HANA Colorimeter has an accuraccy of +/- 10ppb +/- 5% at 77F, the readings below are colder then 77F FYI, probably more in the mid 60's. So we could expect a range easily (without temperature compensation) of 400ppb +/-10 +/- 20...

So yes I believe it will measure Cuprion accurately. Sure its alittle higher than our accuracy guess of 430ppb, but the temperature is wrong, and the Cuprion is a ~200 ppb addition.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg coppertest1.jpg (45.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg coppertest2.jpg (46.0 KB, 31 views)
Unread 01/25/2018, 06:11 PM   #10
bertoni
RC Mod

Cuprion should be detected by any copper kit since it is plain ionic copper, not chelated in any way.

Unread 01/25/2018, 06:38 PM   #11
Brieninsac
Registered Member

All of them. They’re great and I wish they made more.

Unread 01/26/2018, 12:00 AM   #12
josephxsxn
Registered Member

After the calcium responses I felt it worth taking a bit more about my experiences with it. I pirated a photo of what I will call the 1st generation (not sure if really first gen or not) Calcium checker from reef builders, and attached it. You will see all of the 'syringes' as I will call them are non-mechanical (your the gear that pulls) I would never trust this method of dilution as far as I could throw it (which would be far very for the stuff we are measuring...)

On the other hand I have what I will describe as a mechanical syringe in my Kit, if this is the 2nd+ Gen (bought in 2017), but it is not the one on reef builders. You can see from the photo that mine measures 100ul of fluid, it is a 2 step press; first threshold is suction & release, then push to second threshold is expulsion++ ensuring that every drop is gone.

Looking back to my personal logs and comparing to ICP tests taken the same day;

12/11/2017 - HANNA = 491 , ICP = 464.23
11/13/2017 0 HANNA = 463, ICP = 478.30

I have another coming from a measure on 1/24/2018 which my Colorimeter read 457 and will update with my ICP results.

Frankly, consider that NSW could be 400, I consider my result more then good enough for tank level guidance. My results my not be accurate (but really in our world a difference of ~20ppm id call rather good for hobby level under $1k equipment) but my numbers imho are better then any human level color decoding...

Refs -
https://web.stanford.edu/group/Urchin/mineral.html
https://************.com/2011/06/15/...checker-hanna/

@Mods - I can please ask the mods to somehow raise the img file size... My pixel 2 xl defaulty takes photos much larger then our current size with the sponsor, it would be nice to not have to edit every single one..... The HANNA Cal photo was 4.4mb ootb... Its a new world guys, lets use our cameras for our absolutely amazing creatures, I would love to take photos of my frogs with motion.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011calcrb.jpg (79.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 2017cal-1.jpg (75.5 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by josephxsxn; 01/26/2018 at 05:46 PM.
Unread 01/26/2018, 06:52 AM   #13
dlondono
Registered Member

If you are serious about accurate readings, as accurate as it can be outside of an actual lab, you should consider the following hanna checkers:

Phosphate
Alk
Calcium
and a digital refractometer

The calcium checker gets a bad reputation because we don't know how to use it, myself included. Plus a long time ago there may or may not have been an issue with reagents or something.

The manufacturer has rectified any known issues with any type of reagent.
The calcium checker requires a person to be attentive to detail.
Requires the use of distilled water (buy a gallon of it at the local pharm)

The calcium test when done correctly and with distilled water instead of RO is super accurate and it is very fast to complete, as long as you memorize the steps and or open up the Hanna instructional video on youtube every time.

If you keep corals, get the digital stuff.
If you do not keep corals, just get the phosphate hanna checker and do water changes regularly.

Current Tank Info: 200g
dlondono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2018, 05:39 PM   #14
josephxsxn
Registered Member

Just got the next ICP result.

01/24/2017 - HANNA = 457, ICP = 482.03
12/11/2017 - HANNA = 491 , ICP = 464.23
11/13/2017 - HANNA = 463, ICP = 478.30

Average difference of (25+27+15) / 3 = ~22.3... The Accuracy of the HANNA Calcium Colorimeter on their website is within +/- 6% of the reading. All in all I am happy with these numbers, somtimes it seems alittle low or high but its all about guidance

Last edited by josephxsxn; 01/26/2018 at 05:48 PM. Reason: had the wrong entry from my log, corrected it.
Unread 01/26/2018, 05:46 PM   #15
bertoni
RC Mod

The calcium kits I've used are titration kits, and don't require color matching. They give a clear color change, which works well with the unfortunate exception of color-blind people. I don't see any reason to believe that the Checkers necessarily are more accurate than titration kits. A 6% rating is worse than the Salifert rating for their calcium kit, although both specifications are more than accurate enough for our purposes. All kits, including the Checkers, seem to go through reagent problems from time to time.

My personal guess is that a good conductivity meter will be significantly more accurate than a digital refractometer, which I would trust less than a standard refractometer that's been calibrated recently. I haven't looked at the specs for digital refractometers at the hobbyist price level, but although I think they were mostly good enough for our purposes, they were not all that accurate.

Maintaining a reasonable cost structure is the most significant issue in testing, in my opinion. "Reasonable" will mean different things to different people, which muddies the waters.

Unread 06/09/2020, 08:03 PM   #16
reefrats
Registered Member

Hanna iodine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephxsxn View Post
I have lots of HANA colorimeters and refactors: lr copper (ppb), iron, phosphate (ppm), alk (dkh), cal, ulr nitrite (ppb), saltwater refractometer. I love them all mostly because I hate judging colors, but in terms of most used: Alk, Cal, phosphate, iron (i dose iron, if you dose it test for it).

Many people didn't like the calcium colorimeter. My understanding is there was another version which did not include the micropipette and was just a plunger. Personally believe it does a fine job. But completely understand why it would be an impossible test with a plunger vs the pipette.

I also greatly appreciate the temperature compensation with the refractometer, it gives me great confidence that all may tanks in the house are in alignment and not just some fuzzy blue/white line reading... When the wife is taking care of mixing water or anything I trust her results a little more

If I got to do it again I would get the ULR (ppb) phosphate colorimeter, it would be more useful than the normal range one that is ppm, same with iron, it would have been better to get the LR that is ppb.
I see you use Hanna for iodine. I read that it is intended for fresh water but have seen many reefers say they use it with good results. Looks like you are having success using it for your tank. Do you recommend it? Thanks!

reefrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2020, 03:36 AM   #17
josephxsxn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrats View Post
I see you use Hanna for iodine. I read that it is intended for fresh water but have seen many reefers say they use it with good results. Looks like you are having success using it for your tank. Do you recommend it? Thanks!

Actually I use Salfiert for Iodine for the very reason your discussing that it is marine ready.

Unread 06/12/2020, 04:49 AM   #18
reefrats
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephxsxn View Post
Actually I use Salfiert for Iodine for the very reason your discussing that it is marine ready.
Thank you for clarifying.

reefrats is offline   Reply With Quote