Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/12/2015, 03:45 PM   #1
mushumatt
Registered Member

Mushumatts 40 gallon expansion

Hey guys, I setup my old 12 gallon jbj tank about a month and a half and the size is leaving a lot to want. I think it's time to setup a 40 gallon breeder. My basic plan is to get the tank up and running in the next month or so. I would like to transfer my 12 gallon into the 40 by mid February.

Display
40 gallon breeder with G-holes overflow and return kit
Arag a live sand with the live sand from my current 12 gallon
15 pounds of dry base rock 10 pounds of liverock from that pet place + 13 pounds in my 12 gallon

Stand
Custom built by me!

Light
Ocean revive T247 will upgrade soon to a radion XR30W

Sump
20 long with first chamber housing filter sock, heater, 3 baffles to trap air/ mag drive 3 return and tunze ATO / 3 baffles then the fuge.

Reason for this layout I can change the flow through my fuge!

Filtration and flow
Reefoctopus classic 110 skimmer
Dual media reactors running carbon and gfo
Vortech Mp10 WES and a MP40WES

Would like to find a mandarin that eats prepared foods, but I don't plan to start that hunt till next fall.

If you have any question's let me know. I would be glad to answer anything. Going to be a slow build, but I am going to document everything here. But off to Mercedes I shall go now, gotta pick up the new car!

Current Tank Info: 40 BR w/20L sump
mushumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2015, 08:42 PM   #2
mushumatt
Registered Member

Lighting will actually be an ATI 6 x39 w T5 HO fixture with add on LED strip and eventually the lunar module with the apex controller. I've always wanted T5 but on my 180 it wasn't feasible. With the 40 it definitely will work and with great results with LEDs as well!

Unread 01/14/2015, 09:28 PM   #3
dreko
Registered Member

Funny I'm thinking of doing the very same. Upgrading from my 12G JBJ Nano, into a 40 gallon rimless. If I can find a Concept 80 Elos, that's my tank... otherwise a custom tank.

I'll follow your build thread

dreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2015, 11:54 PM   #4
mushumatt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreko View Post
Funny I'm thinking of doing the very same. Upgrading from my 12G JBJ Nano, into a 40 gallon rimless. If I can find a Concept 80 Elos, that's my tank... otherwise a custom tank.

I'll follow your build thread
I like the JBJ 12, but it quickly gets overstocked. I just need more room and stability for my livestock plans.

I was going to get a custom tank built, but it was going to cost almost the price of a 100 gallon custom tank I want. So I couldn't come to terms with spending so much on a custom 40, when $150 I can get a 100gallon tank. I don't have the room or the energy to move such a large tank out of my apartment. Hence why the 40 breeder is the choice, Great dimensions!!!

Unread 01/15/2015, 11:43 AM   #5
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

This thread has been moved to the current forum.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2015, 02:57 PM   #6
mushumatt
Registered Member

After going back and fourth for the past few months between a custom built tank, a small upgrade to a 29g nanocube, and the 40 breeder I pulled the trigger today and purchased a 40 gallon breeder with a center mounted overflow already drilled. I am picking it up on Thursday from my LFS. Got a good deal on it for $40, I couldn't pass that up!

Lights are now my next thing to figure out; I am going to run my Oceanrevive T247 LED fixture for the time being. But I don't know if I should go with BML Fixtures, AI Hydra, maybe a MH or T5 fixture. I have a lot to researching to do before I pull the trigger.

Skimmer: Eshopps PSk-100 insump skinner

Sump: custom built 20 long with MagDrive 5 return

Flow:Vortech MP10, tunze 6025 with hidden rock mount, and probably 2 jabaos mounted behind the Aquascape.

Livestock plans: 1- six line wrasse, 1 YWG, 2- SA clownfish, 1-firefish, and two more smaller fish. Multiple acans, hammer, multiple Zoas, multiple SPS, and will also add a rainbow bulb tip anemone. Pictures an more details coming soon.

Unread 07/27/2015, 11:57 AM   #7
mushumatt
Registered Member

Ordered everything and picked up the rest of the stuff at that pet place today. That place is going down the hill fast! Barely have anything in stock, their corals are very small frags and way over priced, and the quality of their fish is horrible. For instance a 1" frag of shortcake Acro they wanted $90 for it, I got a 3-4" frag for $45 at Aquarium specialty.... Also they told me they had the skimmer I was looking for in stock, I get up there and not only do they not have it in stock, they don't even carry it!

But anyways here is a current picture of everything, and my sump baffles from melevs, skimmer/stand should be here by the end of the week from drfostersandsmith.

Unread 07/27/2015, 12:39 PM   #8
mushumatt
Registered Member

Does anyone have any experience with the Jebao RW-8 pumps? I am looking at getting two of them for circulation on the tank, and mounting my current Vortech on one of the sides of the tank.

As soon as I pick up my tank on Thursday I am going to do a vinegar bath to clean it up, paint the black with Krylon paint. Plumbing will be done, PVC for the drains and the return will be with flexible tubing.

Unread 07/28/2015, 10:44 AM   #9
mushumatt
Registered Member

Wow can I say drfostersandsmith shipped real quick!! My stand that was ordered yesterday got here today, and only did standard shipping. I built the steel stand and designing my plumbing today. Melevs got back to me and is building my baffles today and should be here by the end of the week. I'm going with Dual calfo style drains, and I'm thinking about changing my return from just over the top with plastic tubing, to going PVC with loc-line fittings for the return.

I am going to have to put a piece of plywood on the bottom of the stand to accommodate the 20L sump.

The reason I went with a steel open stand is I always get asked questions by friends and family that come visit about the tank. It allows for open viewing, I may build a nice wood stand, but we will see.

Unread 07/28/2015, 08:27 PM   #10
mushumatt
Registered Member

Still researching lights I am still stuck on a hybrid 6-8 T5 HO fixture with 2-3 BuildMyLED fixtures. The banks of T5's will handle my actinic dawn/dusk needs with the LED handling daylight needs. I should have the tank Thursday and all my plumbing dry fitted as well. My LFS is getting in some RW-8 on Thursday, I am planning on picking one up to see how it does with the Vortech.

Unread 07/28/2015, 11:01 PM   #11
DrPheel
Registered Member

Nice build! I love the rw-8 they are great power heads. I have 2x on a 70g cube running at 40% and they are making a awesome wave! Just make sure you use a coars sand if you dont want a sandstorm

Unread 07/28/2015, 11:10 PM   #12
mushumatt
Registered Member

Thanks it's still in its infancy as you can tell. I am actually going to run a small sand on this tank, I want to get away from the coarser sand I'm running in my Nano. I'm sure I'll be able to keep the sandstorm down.

I have decided on running a 4 bulb T5 retrofit kit and two BuildMyLED 12k LED lights. I now have to figure out the bulb combination to run and how I'm going to build my floating canopy. If I don't get the proper par readings for my SPS I'll throw in another BuldMyLED actinic strip.

Unread 07/28/2015, 11:25 PM   #13
Devaji108
Registered Member

ha I am using the same stand for my 4br build. i decided i also wanted an open metal stand this time around instead of DIY wood one.

for lighting I went with BML 36" MC 20K unit. I have played with it some not much tho.
there controller leaves alot to be desired just FYI. I mean it does do the trick but its big bulky and feels very cheap. I wish they would just go WIFI and an app on your laptop of smart phone....

Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2015, 11:29 PM   #14
mushumatt
Registered Member

I don't plan to get a controller from BML. I'm going to get either a RKL or Apex to control everything. Since I will have 2 different banks of T5, 2 LED strips, and moonlights to control. Also I will be doing a lot of traveling this winter and spring so a controller is s must have in my opinion.

Unread 07/29/2015, 05:46 AM   #15
borderreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushumatt View Post
I don't plan to get a controller from BML. I'm going to get either a RKL or Apex to control everything. Since I will have 2 different banks of T5, 2 LED strips, and moonlights to control. Also I will be doing a lot of traveling this winter and spring so a controller is s must have in my opinion.
I have the RKE and it does everything I want it to do. I recommend it over the RKL because you get unlimited channels which you definitely need. I've also heard great things about the Apex, but for price and what my needs are, the RKL works great for me.

Current Tank Info: 40b mixed reef with 20g sump. Mg 9.5 return pump running GFO and GAC. Reef Octopus DNW-150 protein skimmer. DIY stand and canopy with 2x 250w MH and 4x 39w vho t5s. Reefkeeper elite controller.
borderreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2015, 09:45 AM   #16
Devaji108
Registered Member

yeah I'll be traveling for 4 to 6 weeks this fall. I have a reef angel controller gonna be setting that up at some point.
good luck with the build!

Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2015, 12:59 PM   #17
soulpatch
Registered Member

I was at TPP this past weekend and they literally would not let me give them money to reserve a 93 gallon cube. ***. I have to wait for it to be in stock since they only have the RR models and I want standard to drill myself.

I agree with their fish room. I would not buy a fish from there right now. Rather have Mike at ASR order me in stuff as I get it that week and in much better quality. Plus he gets my money to keep his shop going with the awesome prices and such on corals.

I will be placing an order with TBS here shortly for my 93 cube. If you wanted to go in with me to get a larger package you could have some of the items for your new tank if you wanted to go that route. Literally an additional 10-15 pounds of rock costs like $50 which is cheaper then the $8 bucks or so you woudl spend at TPP. All comes down to if you want to go that route and if our timing lines up. I am looking to order the rock in August/September though it sounds like you are further along then I am.

As for pumps I have the RW4 in my cube and love it. Great pump with a tiny footprint. I will be getting a few RW8 for the 93 to go along with my gyre 130 till I can afford some MP40s. The only reason I even want the 40s is since the 93 cube is frameless and I want the clean no cord look. I can hide the gyre cord around the synergy reef overflow.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2015, 01:07 PM   #18
mushumatt
Registered Member

Soulpatch- I completely agree with everything you said. I will never go back to TPP to get anything. Mike will be getting my money from now on, he is the man! His shop is top notch, and his corals are outstanding. Well with some stuff that has come up I may have to delay a little longer to get the tank running, and if that happens I would gladly go in on an order with you at TBS. I am going to try the RW8 next week, mike said he's getting a few in. I would go with a Vortech, but it just doesn't seem like it's worth the difference between the RW series. Based on where my tank is going the line inside the tank actually works better then it on the outside.

Unread 07/29/2015, 01:09 PM   #19
mushumatt
Registered Member

Just got an update everything should be in by tomorrow. Just have to pick up the rest of my stuff at ASR. Just have some legal matters to take care of. Need to get a roommate out of the place who doesn't pay for anything and just eats all the food.

Unread 07/29/2015, 01:13 PM   #20
soulpatch
Registered Member

I need to be away from the wall some as I will have the external overflow box from reef savy. I am going to paint the back black so i might not notice the cords of the RW8 which would be fine with me. There is an adaptor for an apex if that is the controller you go with for the RW pumps. The reefkeeper controls them with one of their modules just fine.

I will let you know when I order the rock. I need to get the tank in hand and build my stand ( going custom hickory stand I will build myself). I already have the sump, lights, and my skimmer/ato is on its way. Outside of a new reactor setup, plumbing, heaters, and return pump it should be ready for water very soon. Hopefully first batch of rock can be ordered end of August or start of September.

Unread 07/29/2015, 02:38 PM   #21
mushumatt
Registered Member

Sounds good keep my updated! I'm painting the back of the tank black as soon as I pick it up this week. I have a pretty big dog, and I'm worried with the tank placement if there was a Vortech on that side he might hit it with his tail or something. That's why the cord placement is so tantamount for me.

It still a toss up between the apex and RkE now I look into it. Apex has some functions I frankly don't think is necessary but are nice. The interface looks a little easier to me then the RKE but the price is much more between the two for all the modules and such I need. So we will see.

Unread 07/29/2015, 07:12 PM   #22
mushumatt
Registered Member

Soulpatch-now thinking about I will go in on that TBS order with you. Even if my tank is up and running more rock will be good and I can let it cure in a separate tank.

Unread 07/29/2015, 07:17 PM   #23
soulpatch
Registered Member

Ill let you know when I am ready to order and we can coordinate. Between the rock and CUC he sends should ahve a pretty sweet start for both of our tanks.

Unread 07/29/2015, 08:34 PM   #24
mushumatt
Registered Member

Have you ordered from TBS? I've heard great things about them, but never had the chance to order from them.

For people that painted the back of their tanks, did one coat work? I am considering 3 for my 40 but wanted to see what others think.

Unread 07/29/2015, 08:56 PM   #25
soulpatch
Registered Member

I took 2 coats on my 125 to get good coverage.

As for TBS no I have not ordered from him but have talked to Dennis (d2mini) and others about it fairly in depth. Should be a fun experience to get the rock and all and see what comes on it.