Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/27/2007, 02:32 PM   #126
kslick
Registered Member

But I think the point jnarowe is trying to make is.....it is kind of personal to ask someone what they spent on anything. People have asked weatherson before and he would rather not share that kind of info. Which I don't blame him, sometimes I don't want to hear what I've spent.

kslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2007, 04:28 PM   #127
Todesengel
Moved On

I don't think its personal at all, its a hobby that we all share. We all have similar expenses. I plan on doing a 240g, and with the cost of ripping down half a wall and all the equipment, its gonna be pretty close to the same. Wouldent you want to know ballpark of what something is going to cost if you plan on doing a similar project? If you don't want to hear what you have spent, maybe you shouldent have spent it in the first place...

Todesengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2007, 04:33 PM   #128
kslick
Registered Member

Yes it is a personal question, how much someone spends, ask around. I was just trying to put it in a polite way. As for what I've spent, I was just trying to be funny, notice the. If you do your own research, you will be able to find out what things cost, it seems to work for everyone else.

kslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2007, 04:59 PM   #129
chris wright
Moved On

Also considering weatherson has built up to this system from other systems. The cost will vary on the exact same build depending on how much of the work you can do yourself. I mean like the demo, frame work, drywall, construction of the stand etc. Unless you plan to copy the exact way this build was done, it would be hard to estimate.

Pm weatherson if you really want to know, you may get an anwser, or an explanation of the stages that you may unclear of the costs. But I doubt any estimate will not be close enough for a budget considering prices of materials, labour and your access to equipment.

Also keep in mind, materials and labour prices will increase in 2 years, rises they may shock you.

HTH

Cheers

Chris

chris wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2007, 06:07 PM   #130
Todesengel
Moved On

Well I plan on doing all the work myself... I could prob get a social security number on this thread before I can get a rough cost of what he saved with all the DIY work. So let me rephrase my question...

Do you think you saved any money by building all the DIY equipment, vs the equipment you could of purchased? If you did save money, what would be the percentage that you believed you saved by DIY on most of your equipment? And obviously the quality on the DIY is a lot better than anything that could be purchased, but are you getting the same effectiveness? Or do you think its better?

Todesengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2007, 08:46 PM   #131
weatherson
Premium Member

What is personal or not is by no means standardized and therefore should be based on and respected of the person's level of disclosure. In my case, I prefer not to discuss financial aspects in a public forum or in general, publicly. This is just my personal preference but there have been others who have asked privately and I have answered to the best of my recollection. You need to keep in mind that I haven't kept records of the ongoing costs so estimations are the best I can do. In addition, I prefer not to gather this information in an attempt to come to a grand total. I'm wise enough to know this is not healthy and I am completely comfortable in the ignorance derived bliss.

As to whether I feel I saved money doing the DIY projects... I would say yes to most when you consider my time doing so I consider to be therapeutic and enjoyible. I find great pleasure in resolving issues by means of creative design. I also enjoy making devises that are commercially availible but perhaps not to my desired design goal. For instance, my skimmer was made for the cost of material and surely would have cost more to have purchased something similar from any of the known skimmer suppliers. But again... this only if you factor in material cost only and not the sometimes great amount of time to bring these projects to fruition. Also, many of the devices I have made were not readily availible, if at all. These I consider priceless so savings is inevitable.

I do feel the quality of the devices I've made are at least equal to and mostly better than what is commercially availible. I base this on observing the build quality of what I have seen and is limited to those only. The difference here is mostly determined by the quality of and the level of robustness of the material used as well as the sometimes tedious, time consuming attention to detail. I also find interest in design and give great importance to getting it as right as possible before starting a project, whether in my mind or on paper/computer. This often ensures the design is as effective as possible but I am also a tweaker, always looking for the most efficient process via alterations if needed.

So... in closing and in an attempt to answer your question, it's money saving but you have to include material, tool and energy costs as well as and perhaps most importantly, the value of your time. This later will greatly vary according to the individual. You will have to come to that conclusion on your own.

Joseph.

weatherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2007, 05:53 AM   #132
RGibson
RGibson

Well said Joseph.

Unread 11/01/2007, 03:22 PM   #133
Bamm Bamm
Saltwater Guru

Damn Joe.. You've inspired to setup another tank..=) The tank is looking Amazing as always=)

Dan

Current Tank Info: 60g cube
Bamm Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2007, 03:23 PM   #134
Bamm Bamm
Saltwater Guru

Damn Joe.. You've inspired to setup another tank..=) The tank is looking Amazing as always=)

Dan

Current Tank Info: 60g cube
Bamm Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2007, 07:59 PM   #135
jnarowe
Registered Member

Ok, so I am going to try and post this again...

Joseph, I have a slightly technical question that I think you may be able to help with. I have a carbon polisher on the outflow from my skimmer collection cup to keep the odor down. It is basically an acrylic tube mounted with a bulkhead to the collection cup. The carbon sits on a diffuser plate, and the lid is a second diffuser plate.

What appears to be happening is that the condesation from the skimmer output is sort of caking the carbon and producing some back pressure on the skimmer. It's not a lot, but enough that when I notice it and pull off the collection cup lid, the foam head will rise. I guess in some way it is reducing my skimming power, and I am wondering if you have this issue, and if so, how you deal with it?

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
jnarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2007, 03:09 AM   #136
weatherson
Premium Member

Dan: Thanks and glad to hear you are returning to this obsessive "hobby" of ours. Like a crack user relapse but substitute SPS pretty sticks instead. Either way... it's good to have you back.

Jonathan: A photo would be worth a thousand words in this case. In general though, I'd suggest a larger surface area where the air passes through to the carbon. Another option would be to add a hose between the collection cup and the carbon filter to remotely locate the filter. In my system, the hose between the collection cup and the skimmate reservoir as well as the hose between the skimmate reservoir and the carbon filter, help to accumulate moisture on the hose inside walls. This then drips back into the reservoir where it falls to the bottom. This system might work to lesson your issue. Maybe.

Joseph.

Unread 11/06/2007, 06:30 AM   #137
new_world_disor
Registered Member

wow. i dont know what to say. ur tank is utterly amazing. the DIY work is incredible. most profesional companies dont produce producsts to the standard you do. well done. and the tank looks amazing. will be following this

new_world_disor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2007, 09:03 AM   #138
jnarowe
Registered Member

You asked for it!

You can see by the first photo that this is actually a fairly large canister, and I did mount it on a tube, but perhaps extending it will help? Last photo shows the 5+ feet of hose from the collection cup to the bucket. The volume of carbon is about 1.5 qt.

Do you rinse your carbon before putting it in your unit?

Unread 11/06/2007, 10:51 AM   #139
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

Hey Joseph,
How are your Linkia Stars doing?

Nick

Unread 11/07/2007, 04:46 PM   #140
lhoy
Premium Member

Joseph,

I regular return and reread your thread. Shoot, I have used it to get two other people into the hobby.

I have a simple question. In the recap of pictures on page 1 after the split. There is a picture of your UV Filter and DIY Carbon Housing. In the background is some pvc and there is a PVC with John Guest "T". I am wanting to build in a drip acclimation in my plumbing under my new 215. I can't seem to find one of those because I don't know what it is called. Please don't tell me it is something obvious I have just not thought of.

Thanks for the inspiration. What I really enjoy about you and your tank is that most people who are so good at engineering don't have a great artistic eye. Yet, you have both and it shows in everything you do. Good grief, I am even overwhelmed at the sheer beauty of the things you build, much less the beauty of the tank's inhabitants and how they are placed.

Thanks,

Lee

Current Tank Info: 34 Gallon Current Solana, (2) Tunze Nanostreams 6025, (1) Koralia Nano, Current Outer Orbit 150 Watt X 2 65 Watt PC, Current Prime 1/10th Chiller, Soon to be upgraded Skimmer
lhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2007, 07:42 PM   #141
weatherson
Premium Member

new_world_disor: Thank you very much for the kind words.

Jonathan: I can only add a couple of comments... It may be that you are moving so much air through your system that to completely alleviate the issue at hand would be to greatly enlarge the diameter of the carbon chamber to increase the surface area and enable you to lessen the needed height of the media. Also, adding length to the hose that connects your skimmate reservoir to the carbon chamber may help slightly. Again... maybe.

In looking at your photos, I notice you utilized a bulkhead fitting at the bottom of the carbon chamber. Does the raised lip within create a thin dam and keep a layer of moisture there always? If so, you may consider a deign that has no lip to catch and hold water there and ensure any accumulation gravity feeds back, down to the reservoir. Last of all... do you feel the gasket at the top of the carbon chamber is required? It would seem to m that it wouldn't be and especially since the stock of acrylic you used is relatively heavy duty. Just an observation.

Nick: The original burgundy and orange Linkias went MIA some time ago. The blue and silver patterned Linkia remains but has diminished in size slightly. It had also lost a small section of a leg tip but appears to be rejuvenating. Overall, it would appear there is not enough food source within the tank but this is just a guess. The two serpent starfish remain healthy in appearance.

Lee: First of all, thanks for the kind words and you are welcome. It's good to hear that this journey has inspired others. The John Guest fitting you are referencing is simply a 1"x1" slip x .75" female threaded "T". I then used a threaded reducer (male to female) to match to the male threaded John Guest ball valve. I've also simply drilled and tapped a hole in existing plumbing PVC connectors on other systems with good results.

Joseph.

Unread 11/07/2007, 10:34 PM   #142
jnarowe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by weatherson

Jonathan: In looking at your photos, I notice you utilized a bulkhead fitting at the bottom of the carbon chamber. Does the raised lip within create a thin dam and keep a layer of moisture there always? If so, you may consider a deign that has no lip to catch and hold water there and ensure any accumulation gravity feeds back, down to the reservoir.[/b]
This is indeed exactly what is happening, but I cannot figure out a way to eliminate the BH. I really think this may be key. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Last of all... do you feel the gasket at the top of the carbon chamber is required? It would seem to m that it wouldn't be and especially since the stock of acrylic you used is relatively heavy duty. Just an observation.
Not sure if it makes a difference. Do you feel that if I removed it, it would promote less condensation? To be honest, I don't know why I put it in, now that I think about it. It's not really needed to do the job right?

Thank you for the insiteful response...I am wondering why I put the gasket in!

Unread 11/08/2007, 12:51 AM   #143
weatherson
Premium Member

You could glue on to the bottom of the carbon canister an acrylic tube of similar inside diameter as the existing tubing. Then, utilize one of the compression fitting adapters as seen at the bottom of the following site page...
Plumbing Supply comp. fittings.
They have these up to 2" so that should work or smaller if need be. Basically, there's a rubber gasket inside that compresses and tightens as you turn and tighten the large nut on the end. This could then seal around the then glued on acrylic tubing. Also, it would probably be a good idea to use a relatively thick wall stock for best durability. Anyway... that would be one possibility.

I didn't think that removing the gasket would aid in preventing your issue but was just noticing that it didn't really serve a purpose.

Joseph.

Unread 11/08/2007, 05:11 AM   #144
matt & pam
Registered Member

Jonathon,

Another option would be to tap the bottom for a JG fitting, run a line either back to your riser pipe or just to the top of the bucket.

Matt

matt & pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2007, 07:23 AM   #145
KurtsReef
Premium Member

What an awesome setup. Some really amazing work all around.

KurtsReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2007, 08:39 AM   #146
jnarowe
Registered Member

Joseph and Matt: You both have good ideas for me to consider. I actually use one of those compression adapters on my Hartford Loop so I can adjust the water level in the skimmer. I appreciate the input!

Unread 11/08/2007, 11:37 AM   #147
LittleBlueGT
Registered Member

I also use a salt pail for skimmer collection. But I skip the whole carbon thing and vent it out of the house.

-Smell goes outside
-no carbon to change
-humidity goes outside

as long as you have a spot to vent outside it is a win-win-win scenario

Current Tank Info: 250 starphire, 169 g sump in basement, 3 x ROIII on moving light rail, 4 icecap powered T5s, 2 URI VHO actinics, 55 X turnover with 2 OM units, zoos, clams, SPS
LittleBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2007, 11:58 AM   #148
Stile2
Registered Member

Location: Yucaipa, California (some little town you've never heard of)
Jon,
If you take the lid off of the carbon chamber, does it solve the problem? The longer hose from the collection bucket to the carbon chamber would probably solve the humidity issue.

Superman owns Chuck Norris Pajamas!!

Current Tank Info: 77 Gallon Custom peninsula 3 sides viewable, DIY Steel Stand, OM Squirt, 2 x 250 w MH, 2 x 95 w VHO, DIY Skimmer
Stile2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2007, 12:06 PM   #149
jnarowe
Registered Member

Interesting thought about venting it outside. I'll have to conemplate that a bit as the skimmer is about dead center in the room, but perhaps I can run a hose and adapt it to my exhaust system.

All good ideas guys, and I thank you for that. It's strange how sometimes I just cannot see the trees!

Unread 11/08/2007, 06:46 PM   #150
jwedehase
Registered Member

It's because your skimmer's too big, you can't see around it.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef. 2x250w HQI 14K, 4x39w T5HO. AquaEuro 400
jwedehase is offline   Reply With Quote