Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/05/2012, 04:30 PM   #1
hvacman250
Registered Member

Bangaii breeding; banging my head

I ordered a juv. pair of Bangaiis from Inland Aquatics about 6 months ago. They went into a cycled 20H by themselves. All was well until one died out of the blue about 10 days after buying them. Thinking pairing the lone fish would be near impossible, I traded it to the LFS.

A week ago I decided to try this again. Feeling sorry for me, Inland cut me a break on a "near adult" pair of tank bred Bangaiis. One was larger than the other. They shipped good, looked good for a couple days, but the bigger one seemed to be harassing the smaller one a couple times a day. Today, the little one is crab food. They were in a 29 by themselves.

Now Im left with a lone fish again and wasted about $300.

Whats my chances with a wild caught from the LFS? $17 vs. $90 shipped tank bred is tempting me. I thought tank raised are hardier. These fish were given a tank to themselves. About 20-30 lbs of rock with 3-4 overhangs and caves. I thought I was doing everythign right, but I'm 0-2 on a pair and getting frustrated.

I'm a pretty experienced saltwater keeper, so I dont think its me. Whats up with these fish?

Any advice?

Current Tank Info: 220 in-wall reef, clownfish breeding/growout system, 20L coral QT and 29 fish QT
hvacman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Thumbster
Registered Member

I am by no means an expert but I bought my pair a couple months ago at the LFS. I can't swear to it but I believe that they are wild caught. They are adult sized.

There were 3 in the tank and these two were hanging out together so I took the chance and it turns out that they are a pair. They mated and the male was holding eggs within 9 days I think. Five days later he ate them but at least I know they are a pair.

I have since moved them into a 20 gallon long by themselves in an effort to make things easier on me when he does decide to hold eggs for the duration, and I am working on getting them to eat flake and NLS pellets. It took about a week but the female is eating it, the male is starting to mouth the flake and spit it out.

They don't harrass each other so I would assume that you got 2 males. I would get the $17 one if it were me. Just go to the store, find 2 that are hanging out together and put them in a QT to watch them, or, since you already have one, get one and watch for aggression.

Last edited by Thumbster; 03/05/2012 at 09:34 PM.
Thumbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Jaypilot
Registered Member

I am not new with saltwater my self but I am pretty new with breeding and as of now I have two pair of cardinals (I think) and three pairs of clowns.

From what I have read about cardinals is they are really hardy fish after they have been established in an aquarium. However with that being said they do not travel well and a lot of local fish stores have a hard time with them unless if they can buy them local.

As far as my success with cardinals its almost none at this point. I have purchased about 15 fish at this point and to date I am down to 5 fish. I have two pair that seem to get along good but i think they are too young to have babies at this point. The fish that died I believe died as a result of being harassed by the larger males. The reason I suspect this is because it was a slow death that took about two months with badly damaged fins. Unfortunately every time I tried to relocate that fish it would be with another male that would harass them more.

since then I haven't lost a fish now in about two months and all the fish seem to look good with fins nicely intact.

good luck with your cardinals and keep us posted.

Jaypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2012, 02:37 PM   #4
sullyfish
Registered Member

It took me a few tries but what worked best is buying a half dozen at the LFS and waiting it out. the first few times I had the same infighting issues as you, but the third time worked. ( I would trade them back to the LFS after a 4-5 months for a new group ). In two weeks of adding the third group the male was carrying and hasnt stopped since. I know it is frustrating though be patient and you will be rewarded.

Unread 03/06/2012, 03:06 PM   #5
hvacman250
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyfish View Post
It took me a few tries but what worked best is buying a half dozen at the LFS and waiting it out. the first few times I had the same infighting issues as you, but the third time worked. ( I would trade them back to the LFS after a 4-5 months for a new group ). In two weeks of adding the third group the male was carrying and hasnt stopped since. I know it is frustrating though be patient and you will be rewarded.
Wild caught or tank bred?

Current Tank Info: 220 in-wall reef, clownfish breeding/growout system, 20L coral QT and 29 fish QT
hvacman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2012, 03:12 PM   #6
sullyfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvacman250 View Post
Wild caught or tank bred?
they were all wild caught