Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2017, 08:44 PM   #1
bwmalloy
Registered Member

Mitras LX7 Vs Hydras 52

I am currently researching the upgrade of my lighting from MH to LED. I have 180g mixed reef tank with standard dimensions of 72" x 24" x 24". After all the research over the last 3 weeks, I have narrowed my search down to the Hydras 52 and the Mitras LX7. For my tank I will need 3 fixtures. The Mitras will total ~$650 more than the Hydras not including hanging kits, etc.

Are the Mitras worth $650 more? What do I get for that extra money that makes it worth it? $650 is a significant amount of money for me.

bwmalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2017, 09:33 PM   #2
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I don't have any experience with the LX7 but I have two Hydra 52s and they are great!

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2017, 09:36 PM   #3
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwmalloy View Post
I am currently researching the upgrade of my lighting from MH to LED. I have 180g mixed reef tank with standard dimensions of 72" x 24" x 24". After all the research over the last 3 weeks, I have narrowed my search down to the Hydras 52 and the Mitras LX7. For my tank I will need 3 fixtures. The Mitras will total ~$650 more than the Hydras not including hanging kits, etc.

Are the Mitras worth $650 more? What do I get for that extra money that makes it worth it? $650 is a significant amount of money for me.
The Mitras are MUCH more powerful. They also have better spread and less disco effect. There are 6 clusters (two rows of 3) of LED's on the Mitras which will do a better job of mitigating shadowing. You have 9 different channels of control with a broader range of diode spectrums which allow a better mix of colors. Out of the box, they can be controlled via a PC through the GHL Control Center program, My GHL which is a cloud program and even a smart phone via My GHL. My GHL allows you to control & the lights from anywhere if you have an internet connect. The GHL Cotrol Center program has a feature called Light Composer that tells you the anticipated wattage as well as the expected Kelvin range as you are making changes. You can preview your changes through the program as well so you can see the tank under the light as you make changes. There is also a feature where you can create, save and import light projects which essentially is a file that stores all the channel settings including ramps and intensity for all 9 channels in one single file called a project. The files are often shared within the Mitras user community. The LX7's have built in Wifi so you can connect them to your network and control them through the application or cloud without any additional wires. I don't think the Hydras have UV spectrum range diodes where as the Mitras do. While it's debatable as to what benefit the UV diodes are for coral growth, they do give the coral coloration more pop though it's something I think that should be used sparingly. Another nifty feature of the Mitras is that they have a power balancing feature. The fixture is rated at 195 watts. You can actually use all 195 watts of power even if you have some channels below 100% by driving other channels up to 130%. As an example, if you have your white channel at 70%, you can set one of the blue channels to hit 130%.

I've been running a pre-release LX7 on a frag tank of mine since shortly after MACNA and I have been extremely impressed with the fixture. I am seeing colors in my corals that I didn't even think was possible. I have been so impressed that I opted to do a major lighting upgrade on my main display. If you check my build thread, you can see I just installed 6 of the LX7's over my main display just yesterday. I've had my hands on a pretty wide range of LED fixtures since 2010 and these are by far the best fixtures I've had to date. That's no knock on the Hydras because they are very good lights and will grow corals just fine but the Mitras are really in another class IMO.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2017, 10:04 PM   #4
ReefRockerLive
GHL Mitras LX7 Club

I just picked up two Mitras LX7. The moment I put them over my tank and programmed them, I knew I made the right decision. IMO, after having seen and worked with other LEDs such as Radion G4 Pros, AI Hydra 52HD, and Kessil AP700, I think this comes on top especially in terms of overall brightness.

The colors truly pop under these fixtures and the combination of LEDs used makes for a very pleasing overall color.

Taking a look at the specs should be enough to tell you why it's worth the extra $650.

Hydra 52 HD vs. Mitras LX7
  • 52 LEDs vs. 72 LEDs
  • Optics vs. Metal coated reflectors (Better color blending and no hotspots)
  • >90% optic efficiency vs 99% reflective efficiency
  • 135w vs. 195w (More power = more flexibility = more control)
  • 2 pucks vs. 6 pucks (More even-light distribution)
  • 7 LED channels vs. 9 LED channels (More customization)
  • Latest LED diodes
  • Thermally protected fixture (Automatically reduces light output if fixture temp rises above optimal temperatures)
  • Thermally controlled fans
  • 36" x 24" light spread from a single LX7 fixture
  • No additional accessory is needed to enable myGHL remote access to the LX7
  • Side display for quick lighting adjustments
  • Maintenance modes for pre-set lighting spectrums
  • Looks great in either color!

Of course both fixtures do share similarities such as remote accessibility, full spectrum LEDs, two color options, etc. The above is what separates it from the rest.

Here's a couple shots of the fixtures:

Current Tank Info: Rimless 67g | GHL Profilux 3.1T eX | 2x GHL Doser 2 dosers | 2xGHL Mitras LX7 LED | Abyzz a100 | Bubble King DC 150 | 2x Vortech MP40w QD | Fauna Marin Zeomatic 2.2ltr | Fauna Marin Zeolight System | Fauna Marin Balling Light Method
ReefRockerLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2017, 10:13 PM   #5
drummerboyevil
Registered Member

Are these not yet available?

drummerboyevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2017, 10:21 PM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefRockerLive View Post
I just picked up two Mitras LX7. The moment I put them over my tank and programmed them, I knew I made the right decision. IMO, after having seen and worked with other LEDs such as Radion G4 Pros, AI Hydra 52HD, and Kessil AP700, I think this comes on top especially in terms of overall brightness.

The colors truly pop under these fixtures and the combination of LEDs used makes for a very pleasing overall color.

Taking a look at the specs should be enough to tell you why it's worth the extra $650.

Hydra 52 HD vs. Mitras LX7
  • 52 LEDs vs. 72 LEDs
  • Optics vs. Metal coated reflectors (Better color blending and no hotspots)
  • >90% optic efficiency vs 99% reflective efficiency
  • 135w vs. 195w (More power = more flexibility = more control)
  • 2 pucks vs. 6 pucks (More even-light distribution)
  • 7 LED channels vs. 9 LED channels (More customization)
  • Latest LED diodes
  • Thermally protected fixture (Automatically reduces light output if fixture temp rises above optimal temperatures)
  • Thermally controlled fans
  • 36" x 24" light spread from a single LX7 fixture
  • No additional accessory is needed to enable myGHL remote access to the LX7
  • Side display for quick lighting adjustments
  • Maintenance modes for pre-set lighting spectrums
  • Looks great in either color!

Of course both fixtures do share similarities such as remote accessibility, full spectrum LEDs, two color options, etc. The above is what separates it from the rest.

Here's a couple shots of the fixtures:

Very nice setup and a stunning tank!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboyevil View Post
They are available and shipping now. I was part of the pre-order that was offered and got mine about 2 weeks ago when they first started shipping.
They are available for purchase direct from GHL USA and I am sure the other GHL resellers have them available too.
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa...on/mitras-lx7/

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 01/23/2017 at 10:29 PM.
Unread 01/23/2017, 10:25 PM   #7
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Do you need to have a GHL controller to setup and control the Mitras LX7?

I am looking at upgrading to a single LED source after I upgrade my tank. I will be moving from a 4 bulb ATI LED Hybrid to the Mitras LX7 instead of ordering an 8 bulb ATI Hybrid.

Where did you all order yours?

cpllongjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2017, 10:28 PM   #8
ReefRockerLive
GHL Mitras LX7 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboyevil View Post
Mitras LX7 fixtures have been shipping for almost 3 weeks now. I picked up my fixtures a couple weeks ago. Shops like Premium Aquatics and Aquarium Specialty carry GHL products so they should be able to get you any GHL product you want.

Current Tank Info: Rimless 67g | GHL Profilux 3.1T eX | 2x GHL Doser 2 dosers | 2xGHL Mitras LX7 LED | Abyzz a100 | Bubble King DC 150 | 2x Vortech MP40w QD | Fauna Marin Zeomatic 2.2ltr | Fauna Marin Zeolight System | Fauna Marin Balling Light Method
Unread 01/23/2017, 10:31 PM   #9
ReefRockerLive
GHL Mitras LX7 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllongjk View Post

I am looking at upgrading to a single LED source after I upgrade my tank. I will be moving from a 4 bulb ATI LED Hybrid to the Mitras LX7 instead of ordering an 8 bulb ATI Hybrid.

I have my fixtures connected to my ProfiLux 3.1 controller, but by no means do you need to have their controller to program the fixture. The unit on it's own has a built-in controller.

If a ProfiLux is added later down the road, you have the option to wirelessly control the fixture from that controller.

Unread 01/23/2017, 10:33 PM   #10
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:

Nope. These can be run as standalone LED's and controlled all on their own without the need for a Profilux. They have a built in Wifi interface to connect them to your network. They can also be setup as a Wifi Hot Spot incase you don't have an internet connection or wireless network. Once you connect to them via your home network or via the Wifi Hotspot feature, you can setup and program them through the GHL GCC program or via the GHL Cloud server. You can also setup and control them via the included USB cable through the GCC (GHL Control Center) program.

Unread 01/23/2017, 10:42 PM   #11
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Thanks Slief and ReefRockerLive!

One of my major complaints about the ATI Hybrid is their controller and how everything is setup, I have never been a person that dims the t5s and I only use the LEDs on the fixture to get the color I want and I never go over 30-35% with the LEDs at any part of the day.

Also, if anything goes wrong with their controller then it could take weeks/months to get help and a replacement.

I will be keeping an eye on the Mitras when I decide to upgrade. Would you guys post your lighting profile for others to use or is it a trade secret?

Unread 01/23/2017, 10:58 PM   #12
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks Slief and ReefRockerLive!

One of my major complaints about the ATI Hybrid is their controller and how everything is setup, I have never been a person that dims the t5s and I only use the LEDs on the fixture to get the color I want and I never go over 30-35% with the LEDs at any part of the day.

Also, if anything goes wrong with their controller then it could take weeks/months to get help and a replacement.

I will be keeping an eye on the Mitras when I decide to upgrade. Would you guys post your lighting profile for others to use or is it a trade secret?
No trade secret there. It's a bit premature for me to post the lighting profiles as I just set mine up yesterday on my main display. I suppose I could pull some numbers off the one over my frag tank though. I am taking it slow on the main display. I added 6 of them and am taking it very slow in effort to transition from my existing lights. As such, I have these new ones dialed way back so I don't torch my corals. I figure it's going to take me a good 30 days to do the transition. Once I have them fully dialed in, I will happily be sharing my settings in one of the GHL threads.

Now Reefrocker looks like he is much further along with his tuning and settings. Maybe he can share his as I too would be interested in seeing what he's running the different channels at..

Unread 01/23/2017, 11:14 PM   #13
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
No trade secret there. It's a bit premature for me to post the lighting profiles as I just set mine up yesterday on my main display. I suppose I could pull some numbers off the one over my frag tank though. I am taking it slow on the main display. I added 6 of them and am taking it very slow in effort to transition from my existing lights. As such, I have these new ones dialed way back so I don't torch my corals. I figure it's going to take me a good 30 days to do the transition. Once I have them fully dialed in, I will happily be sharing my settings in one of the GHL threads.

Now Reefrocker looks like he is much further along with his tuning and settings. Maybe he can share his as I too would be interested in seeing what he's running the different channels at..
I have been waiting for a LED replacement to MH/T5 for quite some time. I bought AI Sol Blues way back in the day and was very unhappy and currently only use LEDs to supplement my t5 lighting. If Mitras are a complete replacement solution I am sold because the amount of heat I would be reducing over the summer coupled with the t5 bulb savings is enough in itself.

Unread 01/23/2017, 11:21 PM   #14
scuzy
Registered Member

I took the plunge myself can't wait for the mitras to get here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2017, 11:22 PM   #15
ReefRockerLive
GHL Mitras LX7 Club

Quote:
Would you guys post your lighting profile for others to use or is it a trade secret?
Sure. I don't mind sharing my current settings if anybody needs them.

Unread 01/23/2017, 11:29 PM   #16
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I have been waiting for a LED replacement to MH/T5 for quite some time. I bought AI Sol Blues way back in the day and was very unhappy and currently only use LEDs to supplement my t5 lighting. If Mitras are a complete replacement solution I am sold because the amount of heat I would be reducing over the summer coupled with the t5 bulb savings is enough in itself.
They are a 100% complete solution. Nothing else needed to control them from your computer as well as through the cloud.

Unread 01/23/2017, 11:34 PM   #17
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Quote:
They are a 100% complete solution. Nothing else needed to control them from your computer as well as through the cloud.
Sounds good, you guys sold me. I will be hanging one of them over a 24x24x20 cube.

Ill order them asap and now I just gotta figure out which fixture to sell... My 4x24w ATI Hybrid (display) or my 6x24w Sunpower w/ 2 24" all blue reefbrite techs (frag tank).

I will probably switch one fixture at a time and as soon as I figure the software out and see growth/color I expect then I will switch the other.

Which light should I sell first?

Unread 01/23/2017, 11:42 PM   #18
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Sounds good, you guys sold me. I will be hanging one of them over a 24x24x20 cube.

Ill order them asap and now I just gotta figure out which fixture to sell... My 4x24w ATI Hybrid (display) or my 6x24w Sunpower w/ 2 24" all blue reefbrite techs (frag tank).

I will probably switch one fixture at a time and as soon as I figure the software out and see growth/color I expect then I will switch the other.

Which light should I sell first?
I'm not a T5 guy but knowing how popular the ATI's are, I'd probably sell the Sunpowers first and then sell the ATI's once you have the Mitras dialed in and are comfortable with them. That said, the LX7 will light that cube of yours up like a stadium! You will be absolutely floored once you get it setup over that tank!!

Unread 01/23/2017, 11:47 PM   #19
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm not a T5 guy but knowing how popular the ATI's are, I'd probably sell the Sunpowers first and then sell the ATI's once you have the Mitras dialed in and are comfortable with them. That said, the LX7 will light that cube of yours up like a stadium! You will be absolutely floored once you get it setup over that tank!!
Great to know, do you have a link to you tank setup so I can see the Mitras over your tank?

Unread 01/23/2017, 11:51 PM   #20
cpllongjk
Registered Member

I found it.

Unread 01/24/2017, 09:56 AM   #21
Wazzel
Registered Member

Quote:

I run Hydra 52's and you will need more than three to get good coverage on that tank. Probably more like 5 units. With the spacing of the clusters on the Mitras you will probably only need three or four units to get good coverage.

Beware the light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes it's a train.

Current Tank Info: 120, LED, Bare Bottom, SPS/LPS
Wazzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2017, 10:26 AM   #22
bwmalloy
Registered Member

slief,reefrocker and wazzel,
Thanks for the great advice. You have helped me to make up my mind. I'm going back to MH's!!!! JK!

I'm sold on the Mitras. I still think I need only 3 sets, though. I have these odd cross beams that separate the top of the tank into 3 sections. I think that if I try to mix in 4 sets that I will have shadows resulting from the beams. I need to take a pic of my tank and post it but I found one quickly that represents what I have. See the pic I've attempted to upload. This size is not correct but the top of this tank has the same cross beams I have.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tank Picture.jpg (32.0 KB, 38 views)
Unread 01/24/2017, 10:44 AM   #23
bwmalloy
Registered Member

So far, I'm only finding the LX 7206's on the GHL website. I don't see them anywhere else including the 2 sites mentioned above (Premium Aquatics and Aquarium Specialty) and The Googles... I sure would like to buy them for cheaper than $750. Any ideas?

Unread 01/24/2017, 10:58 AM   #24
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
So far, I'm only finding the LX 7206's on the GHL website. I don't see them anywhere else including the 2 sites mentioned above (Premium Aquatics and Aquarium Specialty) and The Googles... I sure would like to buy them for cheaper than $750. Any ideas?
I bought mine direct from the US website and never bothered to check any of the resellers. Best bet would be to give one of the above mentioned resellers a call if you don't want to buy them direct. Not sure why they don't have them listed yet. Granted they were only released a few weeks ago so maybe they haven't gotten around to adding them to their websites. I am sure they can get them for you though.

Unread 02/08/2018, 04:54 PM   #25
Leviluvrr
Registered Member

Can the Weather effects be used, on the Mitras, without the controller?

Leviluvrr is offline   Reply With Quote