Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/20/2018, 08:50 PM   #201
Reefer40b
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
I'm going back over your thread, what's the purpose of that acrylic tube and what looks like a floating sphere???
Probably shows what water level that tank up top is at..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Owner Hidden Treasure Corals LLC
Reefer40b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 10:02 AM   #202
halmus
Registered Member

Thanks reefer40B.

You’re right, it’s to indicate water level visually for now. I will be putting an electronic level sensor in that tube later that will allow me to make it “smart”. Tie it into a microprocessor and do some magic. The level sensor isn’t just a binary on/off like a float switch but provides an analog voltage out which I can map to water level/gallons remaining.

I’m not sure what you’re seeing as a floating sphere. It might be a coil of wires that you’re seeing? That picture was taken while still under construction. There is a single float switch installed now in the lid so that I don’t overflow the tank (again) when filling it. I get distracted in that room and forget the pump is running.

halmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 11:00 AM   #203
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

It could just be the picture, but it looks as if there's a white (pingpong) ball inside at the base of the tube.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 11:54 AM   #204
halmus
Registered Member

Ah....I didn’t know I had put that in when the picture was taken.

Yes, it’s essentially a ping pong ball. Floating water level indicator. Although a ping pong ball was too big so I ordered a plastic ball I found on amazon. Side benefit is that the ball is painted to look like an eyeball. Adds to the mad science theme in my lab with eyeballs floating in tubes.

Unread 06/22/2018, 01:53 PM   #205
yifan917
Registered Member

This setup is just too perfect to be true! Great work! Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yifan917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2018, 02:48 PM   #206
halmus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifan917 View Post
This setup is just too perfect to be true! Great work! Love it!

Thanks. How's your tank coming along? I remember reading through the thread as it was coming together. Absolutely beautiful the last time I saw it!

Unread 07/04/2018, 07:37 PM   #207
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

I really need to see a picture of this eyeball! please!

Unread 07/05/2018, 07:34 AM   #208
halmus
Registered Member

IMG_3857.jpg

I hope the attachment works. Here’s your eyeball.

Unread 07/09/2018, 02:21 PM   #209
yifan917
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halmus View Post
Thanks. How's your tank coming along? I remember reading through the thread as it was coming together. Absolutely beautiful the last time I saw it!

It’s doing quite alright, I guess it’s time to post an update on my thread before it gets deleted lol

Still, your planning and construction skills just blew my mind! Keep the updates coming!

yifan917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2018, 01:30 PM   #210
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener

Any updates on this beauty?

Current tank: 65 gal DSA rimless, mixed reef, 20 gal sump, T5 6bulb, big skimmer, 40B Fowler, 20 gal sump, 4 bulb T5
tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2018, 02:36 PM   #211
Sisterlimonpot

I too have been eager to see new updates as well....

Dishes are done man!

Unread 11/23/2018, 02:59 PM   #212
BZOFIQ
Registered Member

Add me to the list; can't wait.

BZOFIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2018, 03:26 PM   #213
halmus
Registered Member

Thanks for the interest everyone. I did take a bunch of pictures with my DSLR before leaving town. I want to try to learn photoshop while I’m sitting around with the holiday weekend and mandatory family fun time. Hopefully have some eye candy posted within the next few days.

Unread 11/24/2018, 06:25 PM   #214
vanburen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halmus View Post
Thanks for the interest everyone. I did take a bunch of pictures with my DSLR before leaving town. I want to try to learn photoshop while I’m sitting around with the holiday weekend and mandatory family fun time. Hopefully have some eye candy posted within the next few days.
Please do! I take great inspiration by this build - my inner engineer is thrilled by it.

Have you found any sources of tank incremental level detectors? This is a big gap for us in this hobby! A float switch or optical sensor isn't enough for me! Your mechanical version was very clever. Love the eyeball.

vanburen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2018, 10:50 PM   #215
halmus
Registered Member

As far as an analog liquid level sensor there is a product called etape.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/464

There are some different lengths available. I happened to catch them when they were producing a custom line for another customer at 70” long. Since the machining was set up, I got a fairly reasonable tape that length. Otherwise lengths are limited to much shorter. You still have to find a way to map the analog voltage out to a meaningful value in terms of gallons or water depth. I haven’t tested how well it works in saltwater. The salt creep might throw off measurements long term.

I wish Apex would open up their products to allow us to create custom graphs of analog voltage inputs. That would be a simple and awesome application for these etapes!

Otherwise, you’re going to have to get creative with a microprocessor and your own displays. Web interface and/or digital outputs to tie into the Apex if that’s the route you want to go. I haven’t officially integrated any of them into my build yet. I’ve been sidetracked with other concerns like putting in my two weeks notice and starting my own business. So, who knows when I’ll take the next step in completing all of the custom electronics projects I had originally planned. I’ll make sure to post up the progress if that ever happens.

Unread 11/25/2018, 03:25 PM   #216
Sisterlimonpot

Taking the leap to be your own boss??? very nice! That will be a huge change that will put a lot of the hobby on the back burner.

Congratulations on that.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 11/25/2018, 03:37 PM   #217
halmus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
Taking the leap to be your own boss??? very nice! That will be a huge change that will put a lot of the hobby on the back burner.

Congratulations on that.

Thank you! Yes. I hear by boss is a bit demanding though, we’ll see how he works out.

I’ve wanted to start the business for a while at least for side work and then see if it could turn into a full time thing. Instead, I’m doing it backwards and starting the business full time and see if I end up going back to a 9-5 sometime in the future.

I’m starting out with woodworking, trim, and custom cabinet work for the business since it’s a skill in demand in my area and I know it well. We’ll see if I can expand on that into more custom fabrication to justify all of the toys I hope to play with (CNC, laser etcher, 3D printing). Hopefully I can create my own Mythbusters style “builder of weird things” business.

...back to work. I’m trying to learn adobe photoshop so that I can tweak aquarium photos and future business images. Hopefully I’ll have some pictures worth posting here in the next few days.

Unread 11/26/2018, 12:32 PM   #218
tripdad

Congrats on the venture and look forward to the photos.

Current tank: 65 gal DSA rimless, mixed reef, 20 gal sump, T5 6bulb, big skimmer, 40B Fowler, 20 gal sump, 4 bulb T5
Unread 11/26/2018, 06:50 PM   #219
halmus
Registered Member

I'm away from home and only have DLSR images I took with AUTO settings. I'm still learning that camera. Also learning Lightroom. So, my disclaimer is that these are heavily processed images.

Also, the tank has a LOT of room to fill in. Plenty of bare rock to cover up. I do have a couple fist sized colonies but most are frags that are slowly growing in. Sorry it isn't a more impressive update after all this time.

Unread 11/26/2018, 06:50 PM   #220
halmus
Registered Member

Unread 11/27/2018, 07:14 AM   #221
McPuff
Registered Member

Wow, that looks terrific!

I need to get another yellow porites...

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2018, 08:39 AM   #222
tripdad

I very much like the rock scape, all the irregular bits. It should look very cool once grown in. Thanks for the update.

Unread 11/27/2018, 09:19 AM   #223
halmus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Wow, that looks terrific!

I need to get another yellow porites...

Thanks Puff

It was a beautiful coral at first. It’s more of a mustard porites these days but still growing out. Probably some trace element it’s missing. Or lighting. Who knows.

Unread 11/27/2018, 09:26 AM   #224
halmus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripdad View Post
I very much like the rock scape, all the irregular bits. It should look very cool once grown in. Thanks for the update.

Thank you. Rockscaping was a family project. My wife and I built them dry outside the tank mostly. It was fun working together on that. When we placed them, I really had to stand my ground refusing to allow them to be placed too close to the glass. She kept bumping them out.

I tried to model them off of ChingChai’s (spelling?) DSPS tank from Thailand. Loved his build. I don’t think I ended up with nearly the same rockwork but I’m pretty happy with it. I’m finding it hard to dial in lights on a 36” deep tank and the rockwork we ended up with. I still get a lot of shading and haven’t had much luck with LPS where I intended keeping them down lower. Everything in the top half is baking at 400+ PAR. 600 at the highest points.

Unread 12/01/2018, 12:29 AM   #225
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Looks like it has progressed nicely! Well done!

I wonder if running Ozone would help with water clarity. Maybe get you that little bump in par on the sandbed for your LPS.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote