Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/25/2015, 06:28 PM   #1
JBinFla
Registered Member

wow this is a lot of work!

So I guess I bit off more than I can chew. Been running a 14g biocube for about 6 months now. Daily maintenance, constant checking, weekly water changes, etc. I know nothing you couldn't have told me. In my excitement I bought a 75g tank and stand, now I'm wondering if I have the time. I'm 40, work full time, go to school part time, and have a share in my kindom halls ministry. Basically I'm busy.

Do larger (to an extent) tanks need larger input of time? I mean 75g vs 14g, not 100's or 1000's of gallons. I've read that these smaller nano tanks like I have are hard to keep going and that a larger tank is more stable and easier to maintain.

If I build out the 75, and go low on fish stocking will the work be minimized? Really I like the corals (soft), inverts, and little "critters" and could probably be satisfied with a couple clowns and few other small fish. I don't know, maybe the answer is wait a couple years until school is done but I'd rather now. I guess really I'm just wondering, is it possible to have a low maintenance tank?

Thanks!

JBinFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2015, 06:32 PM   #2
MJNTWise
7 Year Newbie

Takes me 15 mins once a day to fill ato, change filter sock, feed, and clean glass. On the weekends I spend a little more time doing other maintenance stuff. To me big is easier.

Current Tank Info: 180 gal. 40B gal. sump. 100 lbs live rock, Duel Cor 20 return pump,30"lifereef skimmer,4 MP 40, 4 XR15w Pro 4 with 2 50/50 reefbrites, Apex Control
MJNTWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2015, 06:44 PM   #3
CrazyEyes
Registered Member

This is why I just sold my 2.2g, too unstable.

Unread 03/25/2015, 06:45 PM   #4
MChammerMC
Registered Member

I agree with MJNTWise. A bigger tank is easier to take care of. The smallest I ever had was a 29g and it was ok.

MChammerMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2015, 07:02 PM   #5
asbauto
Registered Member

I agree with all above, bigger is easier, more stable. You will spend a little more (example : more salt and things for maintaining with more water volume) but you will find a normal routine like Matt described and it should be easier for you.

Unread 03/25/2015, 07:07 PM   #6
MJNTWise
7 Year Newbie

Plus get your better half involved like I was lucky enough to do and then all you have to do is give them that puppy eyes look and say pretty please and get them to do it for you....lol

Current Tank Info: 180 gal. 40B gal. sump. 100 lbs live rock, Duel Cor 20 return pump,30"lifereef skimmer,4 MP 40, 4 XR15w Pro 4 with 2 50/50 reefbrites, Apex Control
MJNTWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2015, 07:24 PM   #7
hobbzz
How do I change this?

I spend a total of about 30 min to an hour a week on my 300. Usually closer to 30 min.

Unread 03/25/2015, 07:40 PM   #8
Webmanny
Registered Member

The ease maintenance on any tank comes from automation. You can do everything manually or you can automate most of it. For example, ATO, lights, feeding, dosing, etc can all be automated. Things like changing the filter sock and cleaning the glass, cannot.

I'll give you my specific scenario and schedule.

My tank evaporates about a gallon a week. Therefore, I have a 4 gallon ATO water bucket, which lasts me a month.
I got a skimmer with a Large collection cup, which lasts about a week before it needs cleaning.
I got several filter socks. Therefore, I only have to spend 2 minutes every other day to remove the dirty one, throw it in a bucket outside and place a new one. This is the only task I have to do almost daily.

Once a week, I spend about an hour washing all filter socks, empty skimmer cup, doing water change and look at everything to make sure nothing is out of order.

Once a month I spend about an extra hour, I refill ATO, refill dosing container, if needed, refill feeder, etc.

My N=1 study of me, validated by me, and supported by completely anecdotal evidence, states that my advice is 100% correct, most of the time.
Webmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2015, 10:59 PM   #9
Reefpilot11
Registered Member

Jeeze manny I go through a gallon a day at least, lucky you lol.

Unread 03/25/2015, 11:53 PM   #10
jabudda
Registered Member

I found it easiest to make a schedule, I spend from 5 minutes per day to 30 minutes per day. My days off from work are Tuesday & Wednesday so that's when I perform water changes.
Reef Tank Schedule

Monday:
2 Drops ZeoBak

Tuesday:
2 ml B-Balance
.5 ml [Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp]
10% Water Change [70g] [7.5 ml Coral Snow after water is removed, return pump off]

Wednesday:
2 Drops Sponge Power
2 Drops Bio-Mate
1 Spoon [0.15ml] Reef Chili [Bulk Reef Supply]
.5 ml [Ocean Nutrition Flake Food]
10% Water Change [50g] [5 ml Coral Snow after water is removed, return pump off]

Thursday:
1ml Zeo LPS Amino Acid
2 Drops Coral Vitalizer
.5 ml [Rod’s Complete-Frozen]

Friday:
2 Drops ZeoBak
1 ml ZeoZym

Saturday:
2 Drops Bio-Mate
1 ml LPS Amino Acid

Sunday:
.3 ml [Hikari Seaweed Extreme]

Weekly: Clean Protein Skimmer & Fill ATO Water Level [Add 1 teaspoon Kalk per Gallon to ATO]
Change Filter Socks

Monthly:First Tuesday or Wednesday of the Month change GFO/Carbon

Current Tank Info: 50G, 70G and two 10G Nano
jabudda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 06:01 AM   #11
Webmanny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefpilot11 View Post
Jeeze manny I go through a gallon a day at least, lucky you lol.
I was lucky enough to get a 36 Gal Sea Clear acrylic bow front for $100 on Craigslist. This tank has a sealed top with only an opening for the light, which is also a cover. Therefore, there is not much room for evaporation.

I'm sure there is a tradeoff I'm making for not having an open top tank, but I prefer the less evaporation option.

My N=1 study of me, validated by me, and supported by completely anecdotal evidence, states that my advice is 100% correct, most of the time.
Unread 03/26/2015, 06:12 AM   #12
BlueFyre
Registered Member

I'm the opposite. I went from a 25 gallon to a 65 gallon. I found the 65 to be way more challenging. Water changes were such a chore, plus dealing with a sump was annoying. After 2 years I had enough and downgraded to a 34 AIO. I have never looked back. I love my nanos and find them so easy. I don't fill the ATO nearly as much and water changes are a breeze and only take about 15 minutes.

BlueFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 09:36 AM   #13
IrishTang
Registered Member

I guess I am alone in spending an hour or more watching or messing with my tank? I enjoy every part of maintaining my tanks, both at home and at work. It seems like I am always having to get a frag that fell into the back or a snail knocked over or I may move a frag a bit further up to see if growth or color is improved. If you don't enjoy it it's not a hobby.

IrishTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 09:44 AM   #14
Webmanny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishTang View Post
I guess I am alone in spending an hour or more watching or messing with my tank? I enjoy every part of maintaining my tanks, both at home and at work. It seems like I am always having to get a frag that fell into the back or a snail knocked over or I may move a frag a bit further up to see if growth or color is improved. If you don't enjoy it it's not a hobby.
Oh, I wasn't including that. I spend almost 5 hours a day just looking at the tank as I pretend to listen to the wife talk about her day, but don't tell her that... LOL

Unread 03/26/2015, 10:05 AM   #15
IrishTang
Registered Member

LOL Exactly!

IrishTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 12:02 PM   #16
jabudda
Registered Member

LoL....let me put on my listening ears & hear all about your day....look off into the reef tank....and agree with everything. I spend 1-3 hours a day viewing my tanks....usually listening to Pink Floyd.

Unread 03/26/2015, 01:01 PM   #17
risin
Registered Member

250gal. 30 minutes a week maintenance. A few hours a day viewing and feeding. About once every other month I have a few hours of maintenance to do.

I find it much more enjoyable to identify the about of work you are willing to put into the tank and base livestock on that. For example I would never buy a sun coral because of the feeding requirements.

risin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 02:00 PM   #18
MrHarvard
"ship it"

You may want to sell your saltwater set up and get a Beta fish bowl. I hear those are really easy. ..JK man but generally the larger the set up the easier it is to maintain. There is a set up b or gadget that will do everything you don't have time to do you just have to spend up to get it all. To be honest when I had my SPS dominant 40g breeder I spent hours everyday doing routine (and not so routine) maintenance and I found that to be the most rewarding part. So basically you have a few choices; sell the tank, pay for all the automated equipment, pay someone to maintain it, or find the time between your busy schedule. I'm just giving you a hard time but IMHO when it starts feeling like it's more trouble than its worth and like a choir it's time to take a break until u have the time and you can truly enjoy it!!

Current Tank Info: SPS Dominant 29g BB Rimless Bio Cube lit by 2x AI Primes, IM desktop Reactor, Tunze ATO, Tunze. 9001 skimmer ........ 40g Breeder with 20g long sump/refugium. ATI 4 bulb T5s....Mixed reef stock heavy on SPS.
MrHarvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 07:28 PM   #19
JBinFla
Registered Member

I hear ya, I guess I've always wanted one, and finally jumped. Now I'm thinking dang, I don't have enough time! Every day about 30 minutes. That doesn't seem like much, but it's 9:24, and I just submitted my last assignment for the day, time for bed, alarm goes off a little after 5am. I hear ya on automation, maybe I should jump on some of these good deals I keep seeing from local guys selling their setups.

Another piece of me says go fresh water. I had a 46g planted tank many moons ago, it wasn't too hard to keep up with. Water changes didn't require mixing salt, but I had to trim the plants so maybe that panned out.

What are your thoughts on the fish load. If I back down in this thing to one small fish, CUC and corals will the maintenance go down? I think some of my maintenance is because I'm "overstocked".

JBinFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 09:17 PM   #20
MrHarvard
"ship it"

Just my .02 most people aren't happy with freshwater after having a saltwater tank (now both is different) so I wouldn't switch back. I don't know exactly what you have equipment and livestock wise but if you have an ATO just increase your reservoir size to hold more fresh water, if your not keeping SPS or anything really sensitive you can easily go every 2-3 weeks with a 15-20% water change. Again I don't know what you have coral wise but if it's nothing 2 crazy the water changes (with "good salt" RSP) are done every couple weeks that should be enough to keep your levels stable enough and nutrients up to par for a softy dominated tank. Actually in my experience most softies thrive better in slightly dirtier water. If the water changes arent enough just run Kalk water in your ATO water and your all set. Make sure you have a decent CUC (I like 1 snail and 1 hermits per 2g) that should keep the tank fairly clean. Add a automated feeder and you should be set. This would mean that all you would need to do is fill ur Fresh reservoir and auto feeder once a week, and mix and change water once a month. Running a cleaner magnet when u think about it and your all set, low maintenance at its best. Hope this helps!

Current Tank Info: SPS Dominant 29g BB Rimless Bio Cube lit by 2x AI Primes, IM desktop Reactor, Tunze ATO, Tunze. 9001 skimmer ........ 40g Breeder with 20g long sump/refugium. ATI 4 bulb T5s....Mixed reef stock heavy on SPS.
MrHarvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 09:20 PM   #21
LiquidCache
Registered Member

I spend only a few minutes a day on my 265. Saturday is water change day, so that takes about half an hour, maybe less. While the tank is filling I'll clean the skimmer cup and putz around with ****. Occasionally I'll trim my chaeto if it's getting too crazy but that only takes a minute.

LiquidCache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 09:45 PM   #22
jabudda
Registered Member

I also only keep 3 fish per tank, in the 50G there are 2 clownfish & a yellow watchman goby, the 70G has 2 black and white clownfish & a sunrise dotty back. Keeps things easy and water in check. Also, both tanks have a Crocea Clam to filter the water column a bit.