Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/08/2015, 08:24 PM   #76
robthorn
Registered Member

Is this going to make it that much heavier to lift? I may have to back out of my offer to help.

Seriously, still need a hand moving it in place?

robthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2015, 07:04 PM   #77
janes_mw
Registered Member

Thanks ekoroknay (eric) for help lifting tank today. Making progress

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
janes_mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2015, 08:51 PM   #78
IrishTang
Registered Member

This is going to be one amazing set up! Looks great already!

IrishTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2015, 07:59 AM   #79
St Pete John
Registered Member

Not really a fan of the rock walls but your tank looks like a winner to me.

Unread 01/14/2015, 07:49 PM   #80
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Pete John View Post
Not really a fan of the rock walls but your tank looks like a winner to me.
Thanks St Pete John. Ya, not everyone a fan of the walls, and I can say myself I am back and fourth. The things I like... Over time, becomes part of the reef, Easy to get lifeform to grow on, easily blends with Liverock, doesn't look like "purple wall of corraline" over time. Unless you can keep your glass (all sides) of it perfectly clean it is just easier for me. It surely is a matter of likes and dislikes and that is what is great about this hobby. A zillion ways to make water flow and as many ways to try and keep up with mother nature (who does it best ).

Should have water in it by Friday night running (fresh water RO with carbon). All plumbing done except 4 joints. Check for leaks and see if my design works with respect to siphon draws, emergency feed, and four returns. I keep things pretty simple, so shouldn't have many issues to deal with.

mike

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
Unread 01/14/2015, 08:02 PM   #81
bigzman
Registered Member

Mike,

That rock works looks cool. I might add that to my upgrade. When can I stop by? I will text you soon on my upgrade planes.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef lps sps
bigzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2015, 08:04 PM   #82
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzman View Post
Mike,

That rock works looks cool. I might add that to my upgrade. When can I stop by? I will text you soon on my upgrade planes.
Anytime Z. Just let me know when your in the area or coming this way. We are home most all the time. If you do come, bring the huge purple cap (yes, I am a begger ).

Unread 01/14/2015, 08:18 PM   #83
bigzman
Registered Member

Mike small, problem cap is to big lol sorry :-) (Off course)

Unread 01/14/2015, 09:25 PM   #84
CrazyEyes
Registered Member

I'm trying to figure out how we're going to fit this in my focus.

Unread 01/15/2015, 06:30 AM   #85
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEyes View Post
I'm trying to figure out how we're going to fit this in my focus.
I'm thinking this might work.

Unread 01/15/2015, 09:40 AM   #86
IrishTang
Registered Member

Lol!

Unread 01/15/2015, 09:45 AM   #87
CrazyEyes
Registered Member

Brilliant!

Unread 01/18/2015, 06:02 PM   #88
janes_mw
Registered Member

So I fired up the tank on Fresh water Friday night. Pretty much up and ran first thing. Have a few tweeks to make to the stand pipes for height, but runs pretty much as I expected. Sump level easy to maintain and two 7 inch socks work great.

I then added one RW-20 last night ...... whoaaaaaa, this is a monster. Just one rocks the water flow and I have two!! It is turned low and still plenty of action. I like but it does make the overflow a little noisier. Anyway, looks like I have a winner and will be moving into house next weekend and putting in Salt water. I will probably end up with running one RW-20 and my Vortech MP-40 as wave makers. We will see once I get life in the tank. The Fluval Sea SP6 pump is a monster as well. I have a 1 1/4 inch return line then spilt into 4 each 3/4 inch lines for the returns. It is throttled back a little just because the turnover was too much in my opinion. It actually pulls too much from my last chamber so another reason to throttle back.

I think I have a winner, but time will tell

Unread 01/18/2015, 06:08 PM   #89
bigzman
Registered Member

Mike thanks for the progress. Cant wait to see it.

Unread 01/18/2015, 06:39 PM   #90
robthorn
Registered Member

Let me know when you need help. I pretty much owe you. :-)

robthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2015, 06:49 PM   #91
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthorn View Post
Let me know when you need help. I pretty much owe you. :-)
I will let you know and nobody owes me anything! If anything, I owe the forum members for all the great help and advice on this site.

When things get going good on this one ...... frag freeby for sure to the great folks that have helped me! Hope to get some premium frags (strawberry shortcake, jack-o-lantern, bonsi, etc.) once this tank gets cycled in addition to the nice stuff I have going.

Anyway, thanks for all you that have given me great advice!
mike

Unread 01/18/2015, 07:02 PM   #92
CuzzA
Registered Member

Let me know if you need some frags to get you started. Free of charge.

CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2015, 07:10 PM   #93
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Let me know if you need some frags to get you started. Free of charge.
you bet!! I saw your tank and livestock!! very nice

Unread 01/19/2015, 02:03 AM   #94
Jreed983
Registered Member

So first off let me say that your tank is looking great and look forward to seeing it fill in soon! Second is a question about your rock wall.

I'm a big fan of the look and even made one myself before I relocated from Southern to northern California and sold the setup I was building. So I was wondering why you stopped the sand layer so far up from the bottom of the tank? I've seen a bunch of these in researching for building my own but don't remember having seen it stopped like that before.

Jeremy

Jreed983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2015, 06:57 AM   #95
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jreed983 View Post
So first off let me say that your tank is looking great and look forward to seeing it fill in soon! Second is a question about your rock wall.

I'm a big fan of the look and even made one myself before I relocated from Southern to northern California and sold the setup I was building. So I was wondering why you stopped the sand layer so far up from the bottom of the tank? I've seen a bunch of these in researching for building my own but don't remember having seen it stopped like that before.

Jeremy
Jeremy - just being lazy for the most part . Since I will be having Live Rock set on the argonite sand bed and for the most part it extends up onto the wall so the bare spot is fully covered. Look at my 120 in the earlier pics. It was done basically the same way. I could have easily gone all the way to the bottom, but for my set up, i figured the live rock will cover. If I was going to have a set up that didn't have rock all along the back wall, then most definitely I would have run to the bottom.

Unread 01/21/2015, 08:43 PM   #96
janes_mw
Registered Member

Ok, all dialed in on the overflows and return flow. Flowing about 2300 gal/hr I am guessing (pump rated at 3600 but calculations if i did right about 2300 with the losses. Based on turnover, I am thinking my calculations are pretty close. Anyway, this thing is dead silent except a little noise of water going into socks. Once the doors are on, the tank is silent, all I hear is the minor hum of the main pump and the slight whine of the RW-20 that I have in just to see if it works ok . It is as quiet or quieter than my 120.

Fixed a few leaks (duhhhh, missed three threaded fittings with threadlock) and one glue joint that was "blind" and I didn't get all the way seated. Anyway, that is all fixed.

Moving into house on Saturday and start the fill with 300 gallons of RO and salt. I'll post some pics when in the house and the initial live rock in for cycle.

mike

Unread 01/22/2015, 11:08 AM   #97
IrishTang
Registered Member

Did you ever get the RK Archon?

Unread 01/22/2015, 01:04 PM   #98
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishTang View Post
Did you ever get the RK Archon?
No, it does appear although that they started shipping yesterday. I am going to tie this tank into my RKE until I get it. With the PC4 you sold me and an extra I have, I can just buss into my existing tank since I will be running next to it for the time being. With 8 outlets and a few open I/O ports, I have enough to control most everything I need for now.

Unread 01/22/2015, 01:06 PM   #99
Novice101
Registered Member

Look into the fishbit it's in beta stage now but it comes with salinity probe ph and temp and it's going to be around 299 affordable for everyone now

Novice101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2015, 01:28 PM   #100
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novice101 View Post
Look into the fishbit it's in beta stage now but it comes with salinity probe ph and temp and it's going to be around 299 affordable for everyone now
They don't have the beta's available anymore but the unit is going to be pretty nice. Looks like they are hoping for a June/July delivery on the first 30 beta units.

mike