Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/14/2015, 10:23 PM   #1
DrDNA
Registered Member

Lanthanum chloride concentration?

Anyone know the molarity of the popular phosphate binding solutions ( eg Fozdown or Ultra life liquid phosphate remover)? Just trying to see if it's more cost effective to buy lanthanum chloride and make my own solution...

<º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><

Jeff

Current Tank Info: 300g and 540g on one system, 165g sump, lifereef VS3-72 skimmer, LED lighting
DrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2015, 11:33 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I've never seen any numbers on this. What's the price of the lanthanum chloride you're considering?

Unread 11/15/2015, 09:09 AM   #3
Eyore
Registered Member

Can it not be worked out from the amount of phosphate precipitated out?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2402958

sorry it needs to be cut and pasted
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2015, 09:44 AM   #4
RGS2
Registered Member

While I haven't looked up the price of the other products, a quart bottle of LC at my local pool supply company was $20. I have a 300g system and this bottle would last years if not a lifetime. I'll let you do your research but it takes very little of this stuff to bring down P04 to manageable levels.

RGS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2015, 09:57 AM   #5
noy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2 View Post
While I haven't looked up the price of the other products, a quart bottle of LC at my local pool supply company was $20. I have a 300g system and this bottle would last years if not a lifetime. I'll let you do your research but it takes very little of this stuff to bring down P04 to manageable levels.
$20 sounds about right for a quart give/take. Definitely do your research (and your own testing). This stuff will precipitate if not properly administered.

noy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2015, 11:03 AM   #6
DrDNA
Registered Member

From what I can tell, it looks like lanthanum chloride (LaCl3) binds with phosphate ions (PO4^-3) to form the insoluble LaPO4. So it should be a 1:1 mol ratio between LaCl3 and the amt of phosphate ions removed in the ideal world.

If I have time, I'll try to work out the math, but you could convert ppm of PO4 (=mg/L) to mols/L and then you would know how much LaCl3 would be needed to remove a certain amount of PO4^-3 from solution.

It seems to be sold in the heptahydrate form, which has a FW of 371g/mol. So, to make a one molar solution, you would need to dissolve 371g in 1L diH20. But I haven't had a chance to look up its solubility in water - I somehow don't think 371g of something would fully dissolve in water...

Jeff

Current Tank Info: 300g and 540g on one system, 165g sump, lifereef VS3-72 skimmer, LED lighting
Unread 11/15/2015, 07:01 PM   #7
Roy Arena
Registered Member

Is lanthanum chloride (LaCl3) a good alternative to gfo?

Roy Arena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2015, 07:14 PM   #8
bertoni
RC Mod

GFO is a bit more convenient in some ways because the phosphate is bound to the media, which can then be removed from the tank. Lanthanum combines with phosphate to form a precipitate, which then should be removed from the tank via some sort of mechanical filter. Both can work, but lanthanum solutions are cheaper per unit of phosphate removed.

Unread 11/15/2015, 07:27 PM   #9
Roy Arena
Registered Member

Thank you Jonathan!

Roy Arena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2015, 07:38 PM   #10
bertoni
RC Mod

You're welcome.

Unread 11/15/2015, 08:47 PM   #11
RGS2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Arena View Post
Is lanthanum chloride (LaCl3) a good alternative to gfo?
Only if GFO is not working for you and you continually fight high P04. It is cheaper but very easy to overdose and harm your tank. Do a lot of research before starting and go slow. I use it to bring down P04 that is high but then use XPort/GFO to maintain lower levels.

RGS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2015, 10:15 PM   #12
DrDNA
Registered Member

I have a 300g reef and I love to feed my fish A lot sometimes... anyway I have used LaCl to bring phosphates down under .10ppm from a high of almost 1.8ppm. It is very effective but from what I've read you need to be really careful about adding it slowly to your system, and in an area where it will go through a filter sock before returning to your tank. To me, the main use is bring down phosphates if they are high and then you can maintain low levels with GFO. I've seen mixed things on how well it works by itself over the long term... it does from a precipitate but properly administered and managed, it could save on GFO and the hassels of regenerating it.

Jeff

Unread 11/17/2015, 04:46 PM   #13
jason2459
Registered Member

Phosfree is the only product I've seen so far that gives the percentage of LaCL3 in it's safety data sheets. Their standard solution is around 11% and extra strength is ~26%. Then they also have a commercial/pro version but I would stay away from it as it also includes a couple other components like zinc.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2015, 12:25 PM   #14
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I don't know the current numbers. I did compare it to the Brightwell product years ago. and did the math . As I recall $ 35 worth of Seaklear( a popular pool product) gave me the equivalent LC concentration as 8 $20 bottles of the Brightwell liquid phosphate remover.

Gfo is much safer. Cost can be reduced considerably by regenrating up to 10xs.IME.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2015, 02:20 PM   #15
DrDNA
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. I used to run gfo and regenerate it. I just don't have a whole lot of free time these days and don't want our toddler accidentally getting into a container of gfo with concentrated sodium hydroxide or muriatic acid (I don't recall which) in it

Jeff

Unread 11/19/2015, 03:44 PM   #16
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

OK, it's both acid and lye when a two step process is used. I applaud your caution.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2015, 07:12 PM   #17
GROSSR
Registered Member

I can't control my Phosphates with GFO. I am only feeding 1x a week. 15% water change 2x a week. I am currently regenerating my GFO with Lye. My plan is to use SeaKlear at 1ml per gallon dripped into a 10 micron sock. Then hopefully the GFO will last longer than 1 week. I am sure my rock is leaching the phophates. I am working on cleaning the rock in separate 5 gallon buckets. My goal is to use GFO exclusively.

DrDNA : As far as the lye I am with you 100%. Put it in a locked room with a key. Let everyone know what is in the bucket. I have grown children and I too am very concerned about what lye will do if accidentally touched/spilled/splashed. Mine is out in the garage buried under a bunch of boxes.

thanks

rich

GROSSR is offline   Reply With Quote