Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2017, 08:59 AM   #1
magictalk
Premium Member

The biggest discovery in reefkeeping since the protein skimmer

Bryopsis and Green Hair Algae Cure is Fluconazole

magictalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 09:26 AM   #2
oldpaddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictalk View Post
That's what they say.
I dosed the other day. My display is 99% gha free, but my overflows, and especially sump, is teaming with gha. We'll see...

oldpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 09:45 AM   #3
magictalk
Premium Member

Quote:
Do you use lighting in your sump?

Unread 03/12/2017, 09:46 AM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Sure it is .....

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 09:57 AM   #5
d2mini
Registered Member

Worked for me.

Here is my fuge before and after.
And it's even cleaner now, nothing left on the walls.
And no damage to the macros.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 09:57 AM   #6
oldpaddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Sure it is .....
I can understand the pessimism, but you sound like you're dismissing it outright. Any reason why?

Unread 03/12/2017, 10:06 AM   #7
magictalk
Premium Member

ca1ore,
First day back in years to share something wonderful and now I remember why I left this site.

Unread 03/12/2017, 10:18 AM   #8
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpaddy View Post
I can understand the pessimism, but you sound like you're dismissing it outright. Any reason why?
Haha, no I'm just allergic to hyperbole, that's all. My default position on all these things is that they don't work as advertised, so if they actually do I'm pleasantly surprised. It may be awesome, dunno, just seen too many things touted as the next great innovation that proved to be somewhat less. I'm also extremely reluctant to dose my display with anything; unintended consequences.

For example, how do we know that anything that eradicates GHA doesn't also affect the zooanthelle in all of my SPS? Has testing been done? Plus I use an ATS as an important part of my filtration system, it'd be a gonner.

If the OP wants to be offended, so be it, though I intended my three word plus emoji comment as amusement rather than criticism. Though the "scientific method' is about testing and 'criticism'. We are, after all, in the age of fake facts.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs

Last edited by ca1ore; 03/12/2017 at 10:23 AM.
Unread 03/12/2017, 10:36 AM   #9
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Haha, no I'm just allergic to hyperbole, that's all. My default position on all these things is that they don't work as advertised, so if they actually do I'm pleasantly surprised. It may be awesome, dunno, just seen too many things touted as the next great innovation that proved to be somewhat less. I'm also extremely reluctant to dose my display with anything; unintended consequences.

For example, how do we know that anything that eradicates GHA doesn't also affect the zooanthelle in all of my SPS? Has testing been done? Plus I use an ATS as an important part of my filtration system, it'd be a gonner.

If the OP wants to be offended, so be it, though I intended my three word plus emoji comment as amusement rather than criticism. Though the "scientific method' is about testing and 'criticism'. We are, after all, in the age of fake facts.
Simon, there is a huge thread in another forum i can't name.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 10:40 AM   #10
homer1475
Registered Member

Worked on my bryopsis, but did not touch my GHA.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 10:48 AM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Dennis, yes, I am aware of it, thanks. I suppose if I had an intractable bryopsis problem and nothing else had worked I'd give it a try. I'm just very reluctant to use meds in my display, preferring nutrient control and herbivores.

Unread 03/12/2017, 10:49 AM   #12
oldpaddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Worked on my bryopsis, but did not touch my GHA.
How much did you use per gallon?
How long between water changes?
Did you have carbon or your skimmer running?

Just wondering.

Unread 03/12/2017, 10:51 AM   #13
homer1475
Registered Member

Forget the dosing now, but what ever the recommended dosage was in the original thread.

WC was halted for 3 weeks. No skimmer, no carbon, or GFO used while I dosed it.

Unread 03/12/2017, 10:52 AM   #14
magictalk
Premium Member

I have been in this hobby for 47 years and would not post something like this if I had not tested it myself. There are many others who have tested it and I only know of one individual on the site below who had problems and that was because he dosed his tank every day instead of one dose. After he discovered his mistake he was successful. Dohttp://www.*********.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/ Do I look like a member who runs his mouth about BS showing thousands of post? I am not telling you to do anything with your acros (although I would like too)

Unread 03/12/2017, 11:00 AM   #15
laga77
Registered Member

It definitely worked for me in two separate tanks. 200mg per 10 gallons, one time dose while running GAC and GFO and AWC. Took about 2 weeks. This and some Vibrant has made my tanks 95% algae free despite high feeding schedule and serious bubble algae in one tank. Also killed red turf algae in sump. I did experience a spike in both nitrate and phosphate. The only thing I changed while running was to back off on the Protein skimmer for a week.

Current Tank Info: 50G SPS/NPS Reef, 120G Mixed Reef, 120G FOWRL, 29G Seahorse tank, 20G Observation tank,
laga77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 11:01 AM   #16
homer1475
Registered Member

Many people here have reported in the original thread that the fluconazole did nothing for their GHA as well.

Unread 03/12/2017, 12:09 PM   #17
magictalk
Premium Member

GHA takes longer for some tanks. My tank wasn't bad and both were gone in 14 days.
Dosage is 20 mg per gallon. (One single dose)
You can do a water change and re-dose after 21 days if you still have any gha left. That should get it all.

Last edited by magictalk; 03/12/2017 at 12:26 PM.
Unread 03/12/2017, 12:30 PM   #18
j_mazzy
Registered Member

works on gha. did it for me. MUST REMOVE PURIGEN (I did not and nothing worked, pulled all purigen and non mechanical filter media and instant success). I added 20% higher dose than protocol and GHA started to die out. It wont look like its doing anything for about 5-9 days- then it will look noticeably thinner. I noticed it mostly because I caught clumps floating around from the flow. By day 15 most was gone.

j_mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 12:41 PM   #19
magictalk
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laga77 View Post
It definitely worked for me in two separate tanks. 200mg per 10 gallons, one time dose while running GAC and GFO and AWC. Took about 2 weeks. This and some Vibrant has made my tanks 95% algae free despite high feeding schedule and serious bubble algae in one tank. Also killed red turf algae in sump. I did experience a spike in both nitrate and phosphate. The only thing I changed while running was to back off on the Protein skimmer for a week.
You did it perfect but it does take longer for gha than Bryopsis for most people (different people doing different things with different equipment)

Unread 03/12/2017, 12:55 PM   #20
magictalk
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_mazzy View Post
works on gha. did it for me. MUST REMOVE PURIGEN (I did not and nothing worked, pulled all purigen and non mechanical filter media and instant success). I added 20% higher dose than protocol and GHA started to die out. It wont look like its doing anything for about 5-9 days- then it will look noticeably thinner. I noticed it mostly because I caught clumps floating around from the flow. By day 15 most was gone.
Yep, can't use Purigen! Got to be careful about overdosing because that hasn't been determined yet. You need to subtract some for sand and rock.
The only serious deaths reported was the guy that unintentionally dosed the one time dose every day for a week until two fish and some corals died. Someone corrected him and he finished successfully.

Unread 03/12/2017, 01:04 PM   #21
Alfrareef
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Sure I'll take it into consideration when I face those algae again...

Alfrareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 01:41 PM   #22
j_mazzy
Registered Member

Quote:
Yep, can't use Purigen! Got to be careful about overdosing because that hasn't been determined yet. You need to subtract some for sand and rock.
The only serious deaths reported was the guy that unintentionally dosed the one time dose every day for a week until two fish and some corals died. Someone corrected him and he finished successfully.
Well, i was the first to report on purigen use so it seems that the information is disseminated.

As far as overdosing, the initial 20mg theory was a reduced dose off a slightly higher dosed system. I would theorize (My honors awards are in medical research) that a higher dose is better, at this time, than a lower dose. I state that having researched antibiotic resistance and low dose antibiotics as well as short intervals leads to and builds resistance. Bryopsis is tough as it is and I would hate to see a resistant strain. NUKE IT till not a single spore or remnant of its DNA remains LOL.

j_mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 01:46 PM   #23
oldpaddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_mazzy View Post
Well, i was the first to report on purigen use so it seems that the information is disseminated.

As far as overdosing, the initial 20mg theory was a reduced dose off a slightly higher dosed system. I would theorize (My honors awards are in medical research) that a higher dose is better, at this time, than a lower dose. I state that having researched antibiotic resistance and low dose antibiotics as well as short intervals leads to and builds resistance. Bryopsis is tough as it is and I would hate to see a resistant strain. NUKE IT till not a single spore or remnant of its DNA remains LOL.
What was the original dosage that was tried?
I did approx 24mg/gal. Not for any particular reason other than I bought 30x 200mg for my approx 250gal system, and I didn't want to throw the 5 extra pills away.

Unread 03/12/2017, 02:30 PM   #24
bamadws56
Registered Member

Sounds like it might be worthwhile on my tank. I am battling a little GHA. Where do you get this stuff without a prescription?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

bamadws56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 02:35 PM   #25
magictalk
Premium Member

So you are the one! I had heard that purigen info came from another forum. Well thank you so much!!!
I agree with you on the dosage. In fact I also did approx 24 mg/gal because I didn't allow for rock,DSB, or equipment intentionally. All coral, fish, shrimp, snails, crabs, even a sea hare did great and even looked better. The only loss I had was two small maze frags that had just gotten and almost sure wasn't from the treatment. My large Platys did great and this tank is loaded with coral. Funny but I think we both accidentally hit on the perfect dose.