Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/27/2018, 05:36 PM   #1
Newms118
Registered Member

Issue with GHA growing on macro

So I've done a whole round of flucanozole and it did wipe out my bryopsis and GHA, for the most part. But since the nitrates have been kept high, the GHA has come back just a bit. I want to treat again but I'm just wondering how people keep their macros from not getting GHA from growing on them? I have both the sump and main tank with macros so they should be sucking up the nutrients. the only other thing thats been sucking up nutrients is cyano which Im doing chemiclean again to try and get rid of.

Ive tried to buy as much plants that will survive to prevent these other micro and cyano from growing, but still havent gotten to the point where my tanks look beautiful without the macros getting cyano on them, GHA on them, or even having debris on on them (despite my powerheads being on high and blowing these plants around).

Newms118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2018, 10:45 PM   #2
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It sounds like you're enjoying the really fun algae phase. If you keep fighting the bad algae back, eventually your macros will take over. And how about addressing the cause. Why high nutrients? Got a good clean up crew? Consider reproducing snails. The smaller ones can clean your macros. And detrivores are important as well, eating leftovers and detritus that feed algae.

Hang in there. Your tank will mature and reach a balance.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2018, 11:22 PM   #3
Newms118
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
It sounds like you're enjoying the really fun algae phase. If you keep fighting the bad algae back, eventually your macros will take over. And how about addressing the cause. Why high nutrients? Got a good clean up crew? Consider reproducing snails. The smaller ones can clean your macros. And detrivores are important as well, eating leftovers and detritus that feed algae.

Hang in there. Your tank will mature and reach a balance.
Ive bought tons of snails from GCE, all different types small and large, and most end up dying off or i have massive bristle worms that come out and attack the snails. Im not sure how to keep the majority alive.

As for the cause, I keep the tank at 5 - 10 ppm nitrate with phosphate still detectable otherwise the macros start to die off. otherwise i just feed flake food once a day. I have a sand bed thats really dirty but I ended up putting egg crate down under my rocks so it makes it impossible to clean that up, if thats the cause of the excess nitrates (what the macros can't absorb).

Sometimes i think its my lights too. I can get the plants to grow in the sump but they just dont grow that well in the display tank, I cant tell if the lights are too much or too little. I had codium growing well before but now those kind of widdle away. The gracilia hari also dont really grow that much. When I glue them to the coral plugs, eventually they just brake off and float around the tank.

Newms118 is offline   Reply With Quote