Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/08/2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Bono
Registered Member

What happened to Paradise Reef in bradenton?

Anyone know what happened? I was interested in a used tank they had but I stopped the other day and it was closed.

Current Tank Info: 210 gal, 300lbs LR, Aquamaxx Skimmer, 3x Reefbreeders LED's & T5's.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2014, 10:47 AM   #2
Jjtaylor62083
Registered Member.

They moved to university and Lockwood ridge

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always gotten.
Jjtaylor62083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2014, 12:47 PM   #3
PeterB420
Registered Member

Not to bash but that's a scary place. They do have a nice inventory of supplies.

Current Tank Info: 125gal. Mixed Reef
PeterB420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2014, 01:26 PM   #4
magnoliarichj
Registered Member

They move more than gypsies

magnoliarichj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2014, 01:52 PM   #5
Seagars
Registered Member

!!!!!!

Seagars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2014, 01:53 PM   #6
Seagars
Registered Member

Pricing?

Seagars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2014, 02:33 PM   #7
Snook65
Premium Member

I walked in to their new place and walk back out within minutes a few weeks ago. Hardly any livestock inventory at that time. I wish they would do away with those flow over frag tanks, that the owners of Marine Dreams built, as they do not make it easy to see the corals.

Snook65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2014, 08:18 AM   #8
barfish
Registered Member

They are worse than gypsies.

barfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2014, 05:36 PM   #9
sanderson2
Registered Member

Does anyone know of any other good reef stores in Bradenton? I heard of one on 64 by Walmart, but I can't remember the name of it...

Also heard that Paradise on University is closed now?

sanderson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2014, 06:57 PM   #10
Themonsterisme
Registered Member

Good lord please do not go to paradise reef...almost all their frag tanks were without lights for weeks and weeks...I saw tons and tons of dead or dying frags and a half set up store...(the university location) from what I understood from the owner of the plaza they were in is they hadn't paid rent in almost a year and then took a $15000-$20000 deposit to build a huge tank setup from a lady on Ana Maria island and then closed up shop and moved to university and left her hanging... Also owe a large fish distributor a ton of money for fish sent on a charge account...short story they owe a bunch of people a bunch of money

Themonsterisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2014, 06:59 PM   #11
Themonsterisme
Registered Member

Coral connections in Sarasota has a decent selection of corals...nothing crazy but really cool peeps and a nice small store set up well

Unread 04/18/2014, 07:33 PM   #12
magnoliarichj
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themonsterisme View Post
Coral connections in Sarasota has a decent selection of corals...nothing crazy but really cool peeps and a nice small store set up well

+1 James and Ray are great. Been working with them since 2004.

Unread 04/18/2014, 10:12 PM   #13
barfish
Registered Member

Paradise is or guess whas a joke and a disgrace. The guy had all these grand plans. But couldn't keep a coral alive to save his life. Tons of dry goods that are priced double retail. Believe he owes coralvue about 40 grand. I needed a 3/4 bulkhead and was charged $15
Without the gasket and the nut was a diff. Thread than the bulkhead. Big gwedo ppl in cut off t shirts sellin stuff they know nothing about.

Unread 04/18/2014, 10:20 PM   #14
Themonsterisme
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snook65 View Post
I walked in to their new place and walk back out within minutes a few weeks ago. Hardly any livestock inventory at that time. I wish they would do away with those flow over frag tanks, that the owners of Marine Dreams built, as they do not make it easy to see the corals.

The old owner of marine dreams said the guy had worked out a deal with him that they would buy those tanks from him and then the guy never paid him for them and basically stole them without paying a dime...the police didn't have enough to go on and he got shafted out of them

Unread 04/19/2014, 04:49 PM   #15
Bono
Registered Member

You guys are throwing around a lot of he said/she said accusations that you don't have first hand knowledge of? If I was the owner and there not true id be pretty PO'd.

FWIW, I have never meet the owner.

Current Tank Info: 210 gal, 300lbs LR, Aquamaxx Skimmer, 3x Reefbreeders LED's & T5's.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2014, 06:09 PM   #16
magnoliarichj
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
You guys are throwing around a lot of he said/she said accusations that you don't have first hand knowledge of? If I was the owner and there not true id be pretty PO'd.

Who cares that place sucked

Unread 04/19/2014, 07:53 PM   #17
barfish
Registered Member

I have first hand knowledge of the situation and the ppl/vendors he owes large amounts of money to. They aren't accusations when its the truth. I've dealt with the owner when he first opened when he was interested in setting up an aquaculture facility and wanting to purchase alot of corals and clowns.

Unread 04/23/2014, 11:43 PM   #18
Themonsterisme
Registered Member

What happened to Paradise Reef in bradenton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post

No he said she said bull here...I've talked to the old landlord and got firsthand info ...and talked to the old owner of marine dreams (my dry goods supply guy currently) and that's what he told me happened with his frag tanks...and I've been into the new and old locations and it's just getting worse and worse...and frankly I don't really give a $&@# if the owner gets upset...I feel bad for all the dead corals and neglected fish

Unread 04/24/2014, 12:56 AM   #19
ChadRaay86
Registered Member

Good Lord I find it weird that there are so many shady people that try and fish stores. If any one of them did the research they'd figure out that its not exactly an easy business to just jump into. What on earth would possess someone to start a shop if they can't even keep a frag alive? The main draw of me ever running a store would be that my work could be my passion. There's plenty of more profitable ventures out there for one to undertake, why a fish store if you're not passoniate about the hobby?

Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of it here in the Tampa Bay area and its enough to scare me away from all but a few stores. I hate seeing wasted life and I hate it even more when its obvious that an owner has no regard for the life that they keep. On the bright side it looks like all of these bad stores are slowly falling by the wayside...

Current Tank: 300DD, Radion G3 Pro, Octopus Diablo DC-250, 2x MP-60, 2x MP-40, Full Apex, Korallin C4002 calcium reactor
ChadRaay86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2014, 03:05 PM   #20
MattStuff
Registered Member

If anyones still checking this thread, check out KD's Oceans and Reefs on 70 and 75: 7286 55th Ave E, Bradenton, FL 34203
It's the most reputable place i've found in bradenton. They get new shipments every thursday too, they just have weird hours,3-8Pm tues-fri 11-8 sat and 12-5 sunday monday closed.

MattStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2014, 06:59 PM   #21
BR12349
Registered Member

Agreed

Can't go wrong with Coral Connection or KD's--- And Paradise Reef is what is wrong with alot of business people these days.. Really sad and should be criminal.

BR12349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2014, 07:28 PM   #22
luisagos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRaay86 View Post
On the bright side it looks like all of these bad stores are slowly falling by the wayside...

3 more left in NPR area.

luisagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2014, 09:12 PM   #23
palmerit
Registered Member

Epic reef in Sarasota (Bee ridge road, a mile from exit 207) is my go-to place these days. Clean store, decent selection of coral, and knowledgeable/friendly owners. Worth the drive (I literally live 40 miles away, and make that drive.)

palmerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2014, 08:47 AM   #24
Lauracooks
Registered Member

KD's and coral connection are nice. If you want to drive a bit Ecoreef in venice has great stuff.

Lauracooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2014, 05:24 PM   #25
sanderson2
Registered Member

I second Epic Reef on Bee Ridge - Charley and his wife do a great job. Prices are good and there stuff is always healthy. The only place I go to regularly.

sanderson2 is offline   Reply With Quote