Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2012, 08:47 PM   #1
Swayza
Registered Member

Cool Biocube HQI Build and Setup HELP!

Hello everyone, I just joined reef central but I have been reading and following threads for a while. I have a Biocube HQI and I'm in the process of planning the setup, and livestock for it. I would love for advice and tips as I go along in the process, this is also not my first tank.

As far as the chambers here's what I plan to do:
Chamber 1- Hydor Slim Skim Nano
Chamber 2- Media Rack with filter floss, purigen, and chemi pure elite.
Heater?
Chamber 3-Oceanic UV Sterilizer

Stocking:
30lbs Fiji Pink Sand
25lbs of Fiji Dry Rock
Small but effective clean up crew
1-2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Blue/Green Chromis
1-Small anthias(not sure which yet)
1-Coral beauty angel
1-goby(undecided)
and maybe another small fish.

Opinions? Advice?
Also trying to plan the best cycle process with this tank, I am very patient.

Swayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2012, 12:55 PM   #2
Swayza
Registered Member

Anyone?

Unread 03/30/2012, 07:13 PM   #3
jgsteven
Registered Member

Your BC 29 will be too small for the coral beauty to live happily in. I had a pygmy angel previously in my BC 29, and he constantly looked nervous (swimming around the edges of the glass, etc). I ended up selling him to a reefer with a much bigger tank. Its not fun to watch your fish when they appear all stressed out.

I currently have in my BC29 two purple dartfish, a pajama cardinal, and a sailfin blenny. These fish all like to just 'hang around' their respective locations, and everything looks very balanced/natural.

I too used to use the Oceanic UV sterilizer… however I am not sure it actually did any good. I haven't had it attached for about a year, and haven't noticed anything different than when it was there. I have read that sterilizers such as that one with short UV exposure time don't actually sterilize much -- but I am no expert, just repeating what I heard elsewhere.

Finally, I have not used the Hydror skimmer. I had a CPR SR3 in chamber 2. It skimmed well, but would loose performance after a couple of months and the pump would need to be soaked in vinegar (little calcifying creatures grow on the intake). For the last three months I have been using an airstone driven Red Sea Berlin Airlift 90 with a good strong pump (3l/min) and it seems to work well. I change the airstone monthly, and it appears to pull as much as the SR3 (and maintinence is easier). It also fits neatly beside my inTank media rack in chamber 2.

Last edited by jgsteven; 03/30/2012 at 07:18 PM.
jgsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2012, 07:39 PM   #4
ange062
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsteven View Post
Your BC 29 will be too small for the coral beauty to live happily in. I had a pygmy angel previously in my BC 29, and he constantly looked nervous (swimming around the edges of the glass, etc). I ended up selling him to a reefer with a much bigger tank. Its not fun to watch your fish when they appear all stressed out.

I currently have in my BC29 two purple dartfish, a pajama cardinal, and a sailfin blenny. These fish all like to just 'hang around' their respective locations, and everything looks very balanced/natural.

I too used to use the Oceanic UV sterilizer… however I am not sure it actually did any good. I haven't had it attached for about a year, and haven't noticed anything different than when it was there. I have read that sterilizers such as that one with short UV exposure time don't actually sterilize much -- but I am no expert, just repeating what I heard elsewhere.

Finally, I have not used the Hydror skimmer. I had a CPR SR3 in chamber 2. It skimmed well, but would loose performance after a couple of months and the pump would need to be soaked in vinegar (little calcifying creatures grow on the intake). For the last three months I have been using an airstone driven Red Sea Berlin Airlift 90 with a good strong pump (3l/min) and it seems to work well. I change the airstone monthly, and it appears to pull as much as the SR3 (and maintinence is easier). It also fits neatly beside my inTank media rack in chamber 2.
I've had my coral beauty in my 28g for over a year, he is healthy, fat, and happy (though does occasionally nip at corals or clams)....

Routine maintenance is normal on any skimmer, the body, needle wheel, intake tubes, silencers, cups, etc all need to be cleaned at certain intervals to keep things at tip-top performance.

29g AGA Planted FW
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Jmoney619
Registered Member

You gotta add a rbta for your clowns

Jmoney619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Swayza
Registered Member

The UV sterilizer won't be a must -have necessity for me, just thought I'd add it in. I'm planning to add some dry rock and RO/DI water to the tank next week. And also is the rbta necessary for the clowns? I've seen many systems without an anemone and two clowns. But let me break down my plan, and let me know if I'm doing anything wrong.

1. Add dry rock and ro/di saltwater.
2. Run the system with just water flow and a filter pad for cycle. Will be adding coraline from a lfs to seed rock and little amounts of fish food to start cycle.
3. After about a week or two I will be adding the sand.
4. When cycle is complete I plan on adding my first fish or invert. along with the protein skimmer,and media rack with media.

Any other suggestions? I will post pictures with setup and progress along the way, I hope things turn out very rewarding with this tank.

Unread 03/31/2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Swayza
Registered Member

and also will a hydor 100w heater fit in chamber 3 with UV sterilizer or would it be better off in chamber 2 with media rack until I set up refugium next to it?

Unread 04/01/2012, 09:56 AM   #8
Swayza
Registered Member

Any feedback on "Reef Rocks" and the Bahamian Sand?

Unread 04/02/2012, 10:33 PM   #9
Swayza
Registered Member

Nobody has any advice or suggestions for me? No thread followers??

Another quick update: Reef Keeper Lite Moonlight module with blue and white LEDS?

Unread 04/07/2012, 10:21 AM   #10
Swayza
Registered Member

Update, just got in a few supplies: Hydor Theo 100w, corallife digital thermometer, biocube magnet cleaner, api saltwater test kit, few other goodies.

Unread 04/08/2012, 02:33 PM   #11
Jmoney619
Registered Member

The rbta isn't necessary for the clowns, just entertaining seeing them swim in it.

Jmoney619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 09:31 AM   #12
Swayza
Registered Member

Only thing holding me back from this build is a stupid Biocube stand : ( don't have any furniture that will safely support it.

Unread 04/23/2012, 03:56 PM   #13
ange062
Registered Member

Hey, I just re-noticed your original post and mention of a small anthias. This tank is way too small for any anthias (unfortunately) and the aggressive clowns, chromis, and especially coral beauty will likely bully one to death within a couple of days.

I can see the appeal though, I'd love to setup a larger tank with the sole purpose of having anthias!!!

Hurry up and buy a stand and get this thing setup!!

29g AGA Planted FW
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 03:29 PM   #14
Swayza
Registered Member

Ordering Reef Rocks and sand , getting ready to set up the tank finally. Sorry for the wait, had a few financial set backs. Ill keep everything updated with pictures and all. Help and advice will be appreaciated along the way