Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/19/2008, 09:27 AM   #1
kimsie
Registered Member

Question Maroon Clowns and Sand Dwelling Anemones... (Specifically my H. Malu)

Ok...

So - as many of you know I got my new H. Malu last Thursday. At first I thought that it dug it's foot into the sand right away (that's what it looked like) - well after a day I could tell it's foot was not dug in or actually 'attached'. It is a super sticky anemone and stays in the same general spot - but it's not firmly attached yet.

This is worrying me and made me think about something.

How many people have Maroon clowns with sand dwelling anemones? I ask because my female maroon is constantly fanning the sand away from the anemone as many of you know they are famous for. The last anemone I tried to keep with this pair never attached well either - and ended up dying (dark colored H. Crispa). I am starting to wonder if my female is keeping these sand dwelling anemones from getting and staying settled!

I looked in my Joyce Wilkenson book last night - to check the natural hosts for Maroons... She did list H. Malu as a natural host - but I'm wondering if that's accurate and if in fact Maroon's require more of a rock dwelling anemone since they are such sand disturbers? She did not list H. Crispa or Aurora as hosts for Maroons... The Anemone FAQ on this site only lists the BTA as the natural host for maroons... What do you think!?

Who has thoughts on this? I'm disappointed because I bought this beautiful anemone for this pair specifically - but now I'm thinking that maybe a sand dwelling anemone isn't for them?

Does anyone have a comment or suggestion about this?

The anemone still looks great - it's darkening up and gets huge still at night when the maroons are calm and sleeping - do you think they're keeping it from settling?

Unread 06/19/2008, 09:42 AM   #2
GSMguy
Registered Member

my bubble tip is in the rocks but my female still moves the sand,

as for sand dwellers and maroons, my maroon loved my LTA before i sold it when it outgrew the tank,

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2008, 09:44 AM   #3
GSMguy
Registered Member

the maroons might be bothering the anemone during the day, but sand nems are used to turbulent water.

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
Unread 06/19/2008, 09:44 AM   #4
kimsie
Registered Member

Hey thanks! My maroon sure loves the anemone that's for sure... that's not the problem... I'm not trying to get her to stop fanning the sand - but I wonder if here fanning the sand is stopping the anemone from settling in?

Was your LTA introduced before or after the clowns?

Thanks for replying - and great pics!

Unread 06/19/2008, 09:52 AM   #5
GSMguy
Registered Member

LTA was introduced when i only had my female, male was introduced later.

but IIRC the LTA settled in a hole in the rock not the sand for the first 6 months i owned it until its foot outgrew the hole in the rock.

Unread 06/19/2008, 11:11 AM   #6
kimsie
Registered Member

Hmm...

Do most people keep Maroons in with other fish? Maybe I should switch my pairs tanks... For some reason I've always thought I should keep them alone - but have seen a lot of pictures that suggest people keep them with other fish.

If I did switch - then they would take my black o's home... and vice versa...

This would mean they would join my Black Capped Basslet, Mandrin, Twin Spot Goby and Bi Colored Blenny... Would they be ok with these fish? Or do you think they may pester them?

Realistically they would be in with these fish for about a year - until I get my breeding system built. Then they would go back in a tank alone...

Any thoughts about this?

Unread 06/19/2008, 11:12 AM   #7
GSMguy
Registered Member

i keep my maroons alone, when they were in the big reef they hid all day in the anemone.

Unread 06/19/2008, 11:47 AM   #8
kimsie
Registered Member

How were they with the other tank mates though?

Unread 06/19/2008, 12:31 PM   #9
marc price
Registered Member

kim, thats interesting, are you sure she wasn't referring to the anemones it would accept in captivity? i don't have a copy, could you quote what j. wilkenson wrote? i've read that A. clarkii is the only clownfish found together with H. malu also i think only juv'ies of other species, either way i dont think fanning around the base should bother it.
i placed medium sized flat rocks around the perimeter of my sebae to stop the A. nigrips from doing the same, however i don't think the prior fanning bothered the sebae.

marc price is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2008, 12:38 PM   #10
kimsie
Registered Member

Thanks Marc - I don't have the book here at work with me and I read it late last night. I'll look when I get home though. She could have been talking about what they would accept in captivity though.

So you don't think the fanning is stopping the anemone from settling in? That's good to know. I guess I'm just curious as to why it hasn't planted it's foot yet.

Its veracue are so sticky that it stays in the same place - but it's foot isn't attached and that worries me.

Unread 06/19/2008, 01:56 PM   #11
marc price
Registered Member

doubt it, not at the size of your anemone/clownfishes. give it time.

marc price is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2008, 02:31 PM   #12
kimsie
Registered Member

Okie dokie! I just got home - I'll see if I can snap a pick in a minute...

Unread 06/20/2008, 08:00 AM   #13
Gold Stripe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kimsie
Hmm...

Do most people keep Maroons in with other fish? Maybe I should switch my pairs tanks... For some reason I've always thought I should keep them alone - but have seen a lot of pictures that suggest people keep them with other fish.

If I did switch - then they would take my black o's home... and vice versa...

This would mean they would join my Black Capped Basslet, Mandrin, Twin Spot Goby and Bi Colored Blenny... Would they be ok with these fish? Or do you think they may pester them?

Realistically they would be in with these fish for about a year - until I get my breeding system built. Then they would go back in a tank alone...

Any thoughts about this?
Depends on the size of the tank. Mine are in a 75 with a purple tang, sixline wrasse and yellow watchman/tiger pistol. As long as nobody gets too close to their cave/anemone they are just fine. The tiger dug his hole too close once and she filled it in on him so now he is at the other end.

I wouldnt try it in a 29 but in a larger tank it should be fine.

Gold Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2008, 10:14 AM   #14
davocean
Registered Member

My maroon has been fanning at base of my Sebae and LTA for years, very common, doubt it's an issue.
If your nem was small it could be a prob, but yours is good size.
That nem is still fairly new for you, probably adjusting to water params, and then may move for light/flow.
FWIW my maroons are w/ plenty of fish, not a prob.
Tighter quarters could be an issue though.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote