Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Acrylic or Glass in a house with young kids - 75 gallon
Go Acrylic - it is the right thing to do 0 0%
Go Glass - It won't break 8 80.00%
You're crazy to have a tank with kids!!! 0 0%
Either will work 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 10/22/2008, 03:36 PM   #1
gscottnelson
Registered Member

Acrylic or Glass - 75 gallon - Which is best - I have young kids!!

Thoughts anyone?

gscottnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2008, 03:39 PM   #2
kiknchikn
Registered Member

Glass. The thing most likely to happen is the kids find your magscraper and try to clean your tank like you do, but instead get sand stuck between it and the tank and end up scraping the heck out of your acrylic tank if you had one.

Current Tank Info: 30g nano reef
kiknchikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2008, 03:47 PM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

Either will do. However...I have had a 100g acrylic, and this time bought thick!!!! glass. Cleaning coralline off acrylic without scratching it is nearly impossible---the first time you drop a rock you will likely have a scratch that will turn dark with algae, and over time and with heat, the walls tend to bow. I had a seam part in one acryllic deep-and-narrow tank. So in spite of the fact it takes mega-strength to handle a glass tank, I will never go back to acrylic as it currently is.

Re kids: the best position to take is "This is Daddy's tank. You don't touch Daddy's tank. You don't feed Daddy's fish." ==sounds brutal, but little kids don't understand abstracts. Nature wired them, however, to understand territoriality LONG before they understand "Glass breaks," or "Don't put the tv remote into the tank," or "Fish die if you overfeed them." There'll be years and years for them to come to appreciate the tank and share it with you, once it survives their infancy. MINE is the best, shortest explanation, and BECAUSE I'M BIGGER works too.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2008, 04:29 PM   #4
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

Glass. Acrylic is simply far too scratch-prone, especially in a "harsh" environment .

Current Tank Info: 90g SPS+mixed reef (10 yrs): LEDBrick LEDs, 40g custom sump, Ca reactor, chiller, Vortech, lots of custom electronics
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2008, 05:08 PM   #5
matt 76
Reefing is an addiction!

Go glass its much better for kids to put their dirty little mits on and won't scratch when you look at it wrong.

Current Tank Info: 250 DD
matt 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2008, 05:31 PM   #6
stricknine
Registered Member

+1 for glass.

would take quite a bit for your youngsters to break it. Just dont give them porcelain or copper toys to play with around the tank.

stricknine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2008, 05:35 PM   #7
ser_renely
Registered Member

get rid of kids

Current Tank Info: 60g Cube, 15g sump/fuge,Tunze 9010 skimmer, Reefbreeders Photon 16" - 2 Osc. Clowns,2 Lyretail Anthias, Blue Chromis, mp20, mp10....another DAMN pistol shrimp!
ser_renely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2008, 05:37 PM   #8
Rae C.
Registered Member

Glass. I've had kids from two to sixteen, the only thing they can't seem to get (especially tweens 10-14) is that they are NOT allowed to clean the glass with the mag cleaner. I have scratches in the glass from sand, I can't imagine what it would look like if it were acrylic.

It's 8:30, kids. Turn off the tank and go to bed!

Current Tank Info: 65 gal, softies, 1 mandarine, 1 clown
Rae C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2008, 07:17 PM   #9
CookieJar
Premium Member

how about get 2 tanks- 1 for the kids to put their hands in, scratch and play with (think petting zoo) and 1 for a nice display that's a 'no touch' tank.

CookieJar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2008, 07:24 PM   #10
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Re: Acrylic or Glass - 75 gallon - Which is best - I have young kids!!

Quote:
Originally posted by gscottnelson
Thoughts anyone?
welcome to RC!

glass acrylic

GLASS!

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote