Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/04/2011, 01:15 PM   #1
saphhre
Registered Member

Stocking Question

I am currently setting up a 55 gallon aquarium. I have a HOB filter, heater, power head. I am not going to be adding anything to the aquarium until it has cycled but was wondering what fish would work together for a beginner. My husband wants a madirin but from what I understand they are not for beginners any suggestions so that I can add this fish later or something that resembles one would be great.

saphhre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2011, 01:20 PM   #2
israel.kendall
Padawan Reefer

Are you planning to make this a fish only tank or eventually have corals? This will be a large factor in your stocking choices.

israel.kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2011, 01:30 PM   #3
2Addicted
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphhre View Post
I am currently setting up a 55 gallon aquarium. I have a HOB filter, heater, power head. I am not going to be adding anything to the aquarium until it has cycled but was wondering what fish would work together for a beginner. My husband wants a madirin but from what I understand they are not for beginners any suggestions so that I can add this fish later or something that resembles one would be great.

First of all

To Reef Central

I agree with what israel said. Mandarians are not for new tanks or smaller tanks like yours. They need large very established tanks. Clowfish are hardy and good beginner fish.

2Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Sitaga
Registered Member

To recommend a fish without knowing you or your likes dislikes is impossible. The Mandarian goby typically only eats live food, so unless your tank is producing enough, it will starve to death and eventually die. In actuality this is a very hardy fish, when fed properly. Occasionally you can find one that will eat frozen food, but they are few and far between and very hard to confirm.

Sitaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2011, 02:17 PM   #5
saphhre
Registered Member

I am thinking of possibly doing corals eventually, I am just looking for some ideas of different peoples stock to see what works together and what does not. How would I know if the Mandrin is eating prepared food because it is the only fish my husband insist that he wants. I am open to all ideas and if we have to waite 6 months to a year to get one taht is fine just looking for help in stocking and suggestions on a fish that is similar to a mandrin if they are absolutly not for this size tank.

saphhre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2011, 02:56 PM   #6
RedM3
Registered Member

Without a refuge, it'll be nearly impossible to have a self sustaining supply of copepods in a tank that size. You could theoretically ask the fish store to show you that the mandarin is eating prepared foods, but even if they do in the store, they won't necessarily in your tank. Plus, they feed extremely slowly, and all the food would likely be gobbled up by the other fish in your tank before the mandy has a chance to eat. If you were able to set up a fuge, you could probably support a mandarin after year.

I have basically the same set up as you - a pair of clowns is always a nice addition for a reef tank. I added a banggai cardinal, a couple chromis (definitely do not do more than two, as they'll likely end up picking off the extras), a royal gramma (or other basslet or dottyback, but you'll really only want one out of the group), and a coral beauty angelfish.

There are a couple species of dwarf angels that can be, but are not always reef safe. Coral Beautys and Flame Angels are two typical ones, but there is a real chance that you'll get one that will nip at the corals. You also have options of many of the gobies or firefish/dartfish. There are several very colorful reef-safe wrasses that are also possible "centerpiece" fishes for your tank.

Current Tank Info: 55g Reef
RedM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2011, 03:28 PM   #7
sslak
Registered Member

Start with the easier fish and once you have kept a couple fish for over a year and feel confident, then you can consider a mandarin if you think your tank can support one.

I wouldn't recommend it for beginners, as even if you get one that eats frozen food, it still requires special feeding. It's not as simple as tossing food in the tank and watching it eat. They also spend a fair amount of time hunting among the rocks, they aren't always out.

There are lots of other cool fish, and you can tell him he can visit mandarins at the fish store...it's a good excuse to get him in the door more often and distract him from your reef spending...lol!

Easy/Active/Colorful/Fun Fish:
Clownfish - pairs are great fun to watch them interact
Blennys - midas/bicolor are both active and fun to watch
Dwarf Angels - wide variety, great colors, not always reef safe - choose carefully if you intend to keep coral

Current Tank Info: 58 Oceanic/20g Sump/250w XM 20k/2x39w T5 True Actinic 03/2010 Reef Octopus NW Cone Skimmer
sslak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2011, 05:26 PM   #8
Sitaga
Registered Member

The cardinals are fun - but they are best in groups. I have 6 Bangaii in my 180g tank and they are always "floating" around the tank together.

Sitaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2011, 08:32 PM   #9
Angel*Fish
cats and large squashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphhre View Post
How would I know if the Mandrin is eating prepared food because it is the only fish my husband insist that he wants. I am open to all ideas and if we have to waite 6 months to a year to get one taht is fine just looking for help in stocking and suggestions on a fish that is similar to a mandrin if they are absolutly not for this size tank.
When people mention that some mandarins will eat frozen food, for some reason they rarely mention that even in this case -unless the mandarin is the only fish in the tank - it can be a lot of work. It can sometimes take 30 min. twice a day to get your mandarin fed. You have to somehow keep the food from being gobbled by your other fish while the mandarin takes his time. I posted this thread the other day, it's worth a look at the video to see how slowly they feed. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ht=slow+eaters

So long, & thanks for all the fish!

Current Tank Info: Pairs: flame angels, cherub angels, Red Sea mimic blennies, yellow fin fairy wrasses, clowns, mandarins, blackcap basslets, shrimp gobies, damsels, dispar anthias, yellow clown gobies, threadfin cardinals --- Tanks: 100g reef, 2 x 30g refugiums
Angel*Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2011, 09:46 PM   #10
chase01
Registered Member

If you have your heart set on a mandarin, you should check out some of the tank bred mandarins that have recently become available. I wouldn't recommend a mandarin in a tank that size without an ample and established refugium and even culturing pods, but if one is likely to survive in your tank I think it would be a captive bred specimen.

chase01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2011, 11:20 AM   #11
Angel*Fish
cats and large squashes

One thing about them is they are such a joy to have if you have a huge pod population. With a 55 and no refugium, I'd be inclined to say not enough pods to sustain the fish. But if you read up, there may be a way if you're willing to have enough "pod piles". I honestly don't know.

As for a similar fish, I just can't think of one. An interesting bottom dweller is the highfin goby who lives with a comensal shrimp who digs his hole for him while the fish keeps guard.

Then there are blennies that have a lot a personality that hang out on the rocks. You could have both a goby/shrimp and a blenny (you want to check the specific species)

So long, & thanks for all the fish!

Current Tank Info: Pairs: flame angels, cherub angels, Red Sea mimic blennies, yellow fin fairy wrasses, clowns, mandarins, blackcap basslets, shrimp gobies, damsels, dispar anthias, yellow clown gobies, threadfin cardinals --- Tanks: 100g reef, 2 x 30g refugiums
Angel*Fish is offline   Reply With Quote