Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/16/2017, 09:00 AM   #1
Easttuth
Registered Member

Rant

Good morning. I'm from Orlando and not nearly as intertwined in the Tampa group as many of you are. That being said, I've had nothing but perfect dealings with the Tampa group and I prefer it greatly to the Orlando crowd. I've been in many of your houses, been to club meetings, and had multiple dealings buying and selling with you. I wish I lived closer so I could enjoy more of the things you guys do together and the close group it seems you have. With all that being said, I have a small rant for people when buying or selling.

If you say you're going to buy something, buy it or let the seller know you've changed your mind. If someone says they are coming to buy something, consider it sold unless you hear otherwise. I've never backed out on a purchase since going the hobby, but I understand the frustration of some sellers because many people either no show or back out. I was screwed out of some items this weekend for these reasons. There is no reason to mention the seller or the item, as I understand how bad other buyers can be, and partially don't blame them. But they never once contacted me to double check I still wanted the item before selling it to someone else. I told them exactly when I would contact them again to make arrangements for the next morning to come meet. A time was already established, we exchanged phone numbers and a meeting place. There was never a question of payment being made to hold the item, as I would have been happy to do. I never showed anything to lead the seller to the belief that I didn't want the item, so why sell it to someone else? I assume they were a previous acquaintance or even a group member. I could be wrong with that assumption, but they were still fielding questions here about the item after we had made arrangements so I can say I saw this potentially coming.

To prevent these things it our small world, I just ask that both sides keep their word. If you say you're going to buy, buy. This effects future buyers just as much as it effects you. If you say its sold to the buyer, sell it to them. Your word should mean something.

Unread 01/16/2017, 02:10 PM   #2
Specfishin
Registered Member

I hear ya. As a buyer and seller, I know things can and will happen. I have an extremely unstable work schedule but I let the other party know ahead of time. Now as a seller specifically, I have been discouraged due to quite a few people with no show/response and call backs with no reason. But, I truck on knowing how it is on craigslist with other things I occasionally sell. It's rough to say the least. There's really only been a few bad apples and I've managed to call them out or block them in some different formats. In fact most of them will weed themselves out of the group when they realize there's no tolerance for that type of behavior. It takes a lot of patience on our part sometimes as a buyer seller. Personally craigslist is the worst. I missed a message due to FB one time and skipped over someone inadvertently. But once someone has arrangements to meet/buy/sell , they should really keep that arrangement.

Specfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2017, 06:59 PM   #3
janes_mw
Registered Member

yup, just let people know what is going on. If you made a choice you can't back up, just let the seller know. Usually no biggie, but holding them in suspense...... not a good thing. For the most of us, we are usually selling at a really discounted price. And, then folks want to promise to buy then just go silent? Not sure why, but seems that is what some do. Unfortunately, I guess part of the hobby.

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
janes_mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2017, 07:34 PM   #4
Easttuth
Registered Member

It's part of the hobby and life in general. I was just venting a bit. I realize not everyone's word means something to them. When I give my word, I'll follow through. That's not always true with people we deal with.

Unread 01/16/2017, 10:27 PM   #5
bigzman
Registered Member

Easttuth,

After doing 6 Groupbuy you are on the money. Although I most say it's better here in Tampa. In jersey it was worse.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef lps sps
bigzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2017, 08:11 AM   #6
acro-ed
Registered Member

This is one thing that RC could find a better solution to. Another hobby board (different hobby) that I belong to considers what Easttuth described as "welching" on a deal. It is a "bannable" offense. I too have had a few bad deals on RC, including with the Tampa folks. Most seem like great people, but there are a few adults here that operate like vacuous children. This isn't Cr@!gslist; we need high standards and hold people accountable to them.

It also blows my mind in the sales forums when people jump in to say something can be bought cheaper elsewhere, or to make some unrelated stab at the person or the goods. I would love to see that turn into an insta-ban.

I had a guy on here once that backed out of a deal on a ballast after explaining that I would be removing the ballast from my system and would be driving down to Tampa, both to sell him the ballast and buy another one from FAOIS while down there. Well, after cutting the wires, etc. and packing it up to head down there, he backed out. lol. What? Turns out he's not a bad guy and I ended up running into him years later when he was working at one of the stores and he was very helpful (didn't bring the prior incident up), but come on...

Maybe someday there will be some traction to create tighter standards.

-Ed

acro-ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2017, 10:14 AM   #7
flchevygrl
Registered Member

I have had this happen to me. Only I was buyer...
We made a deal for a pair of frag tanks... made the required down payment to hold til next paycheck. Clearly stated I wanted the pair, when we could come pick up items and times that worked for all parties involved. Stayed in constant contact. Even put more of a paypal down payment than what the seller was asking for. Then I get message that he was giving the one to family for a birthday gift. Seriously???
My boyfriend said that was bad business practice since the deal was made and money put down. And I should say screw it and get deposit back.
Said no I am a woman of my word and went and picked up the single frag tank. And we drove over an hour to his house.

Needless to say I wont ever purchase another item from that seller again. I dont care how bad i want or need the item.

Sad that people are like that and that their word isnt worth crap. I'm sure if he wouldnt want someone to do him this way but it is what it is...
guess he left his morale compass at the cleaners or it got broke.

In closing all I can say is I was the better person cause I kept my word and did what i said id do.

flchevygrl is offline   Reply With Quote