Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2017, 10:18 AM   #1776
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanburen View Post
Well your end ball valves will let you drain the tanks to somewhere.

I rigged a bottom mix line on my salt tank as well to stir up salt.
You may want an easy way to get RO out for mixing additives etc. I use a siphon hose but a small faucet would have been cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, what about another ball valve above the spout (outlet to the salt tank)? I could then pump either water tank through the spout right?

I Still may keep the ball valves on each end of the bottom tho. Feels like a lot, but the options later could be useful.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2017, 02:00 PM   #1777
Joel_155
Registered Member

Following. Planning on building one out of two 55 gallon drums

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Joel_155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2017, 02:10 PM   #1778
Joel_155
Registered Member

So my layout I'm hoping will be ideal. The tank is going on one side of the wall and the mix station will be on the other side in the garage. I plan on having one for RO storage and one for saltwater. On the plumbing I want a fill line that I can run to the tank and use for easy water changes.

Joel_155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2017, 12:42 AM   #1779
fullonsound
Registered Member

So I have a newbie question. I have two 55gal drums plumbed together with a pump and my RODI unit overhead.. I have a heater and temp probe in the salt water barrel and the other barrel is for just RODI water.. do I have to have some kind of constant circulation in the salt tank to prevent the water from spoiling? How do you guys do it?

fullonsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2017, 12:56 AM   #1780
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullonsound View Post
do I have to have some kind of constant circulation in the salt tank to prevent the water from spoiling?
No absolutely not.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2017, 12:57 AM   #1781
fullonsound
Registered Member

Do I need to worry about maintaining the temperature? Or should I just heat it up prior to adding to the tank.. currently the temp is 56 lol...

Unread 01/02/2018, 10:37 AM   #1782
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Do I need to worry about maintaining the temperature? Or should I just heat it up prior to adding to the tank.. currently the temp is 56 lol...

Depends on how much water you are changing. With my AWC I swap 7 gallons a day into roughly 160 gallons so I dont heat. When I am doing a large water change however I will heat up the water and use it all. Typicallyy I plan this so that my salt container is down to around 40 gallons and I will heat that and use it all in the water change. I do not heat water and then let it cool.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 11:38 AM   #1783
fullonsound
Registered Member

Ok thanks for the reply. I’ll try that and heat it when doing large water changes

Unread 01/02/2018, 01:48 PM   #1784
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Or should I just heat it up prior to adding to the tank.. currently the temp is 56 lol...

Mine is colder lol and I heat up 100G a day before adding it

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2018, 02:54 PM   #1785
Naterade86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbitreefer View Post

This is my entry way closet. The hubby let me take it over. Hehehe and he did the plumbing, he’s not into fish so I guess he loves me.

Nice set up

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Naterade86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2018, 10:11 AM   #1786
coryjac0b
Registered Member

I plan on using some 55g olive barrels that I received for next to nothing for ro storage on an upcoming build. I can't seem to get them clean enough. There is always a sheen on top of the water after I fill them. Anyone have a recommendation to clean them?

coryjac0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2018, 10:13 AM   #1787
Maggie321
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryjac0b View Post
I plan on using some 55g olive barrels that I received for next to nothing for ro storage on an upcoming build. I can't seem to get them clean enough. There is always a sheen on top of the water after I fill them. Anyone have a recommendation to clean them?
Have you tried dawn dish soap and heavy rinsing?

Maggie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2018, 10:28 AM   #1788
reefwiser
Registered Member

Vinegar or citric acid mean work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

September 23rd,2017 11 am till 3pm
Saint Thomas Fellowship hall,9616 Westport Road,Louisvi
reefwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2018, 11:08 AM   #1789
coryjac0b
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie321 View Post
Have you tried dawn dish soap and heavy rinsing?

I have done a few iterations of dawn and heavy scrubbing and heavy rinsing.

I will try vinegar.

coryjac0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 12:50 PM   #1790
Devolver
Registered Member

I bet this question had been asked already but after days of reading I’m still unable to find an answer.

What is the recommended pump for a water change station? I’ve seen a bunch with panworld pumps but with today’s technology I’m wondering if there is a better option?

I will need a vertical head pressure of 8’ if that helps.

Thanks for the input

Devolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 12:58 PM   #1791
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Really any pump with a flow rate you can live with above 8' will work.
I suggest nothing less than 3/4" diameter, 1" would be better.

Unread 01/17/2018, 02:17 PM   #1792
Devolver
Registered Member

Are there any specific pumps you would recommend? I’m thinking a DC pump for efficiency...if such a pump would work in this application?

Devolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 03:01 PM   #1793
Sharpimage
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devolver View Post
Are there any specific pumps you would recommend? I’m thinking a DC pump for efficiency...if such a pump would work in this application?
Mine runs so infrequently, I don't worry about efficiency. I used a pump I had lying around for mine.

Sharpimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 01:06 AM   #1794
meklo
Registered Member

Here is my setup. It isn't the prettiest, but it is very functional! It works really well for me.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162297...posted-public/

Current Tank Info: 180g GlassCages tank. 90 gallon sump with RO 10" SS skimmer and VarioS 6 return. Hamilton Cebu Sun 250w fixture
meklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 01:13 AM   #1795
meklo
Registered Member

Not sure why it isn't working.

Current Tank Info: 180g GlassCages tank. 90 gallon sump with RO 10" SS skimmer and VarioS 6 return. Hamilton Cebu Sun 250w fixture
Unread 01/21/2018, 01:14 AM   #1796
meklo
Registered Member

mixing station 2******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

Unread 01/21/2018, 01:15 AM   #1797
meklo
Registered Member

mixing station 1******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

Unread 01/27/2018, 02:07 PM   #1798
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

One item on my "Upgrade Tank" To Do list was to upgrade my RO/DI system and increase my water supply storage tanks. I had (2) 44 gallon brutes and (2) 55 gallon drums, but I wanted to upgrade to all 55 gallon drums. Also redo the transfer system from my mixing barrel to my storage barrel.
So I upgraded my RO unit to a second RO membrane plumbed in series to increase my daily production from 75 gallons to 150 gallons. Now I know the values are probably lower, but you get my drift. Because of the second membrane, I needed to get a larger Booster Pump. So the Aquatec 8800 is replacing the 6800 I had. That is being used on the 3 stage Di to push water thru. See below. I also put in a Auto Flush valve. I run this in parallel to the manual flush valve. I installed a manual by-pass to bleed off the product that is high in TDS so it doesn't go into my RO water storage barrel. I use a Triple In Line TDS meter to determine when to close the by-pass an open the flow to the RO storage. One meter is on each product line coming out of each membrane, then the 3rd is on the product line of the 3 Stage DI.
I have well water which is high in Co2. This will burn thru DI resin like crazy. So I have to produce RO only water that goes into a 55 gallon drum which gets aerated to de-gas the Co2 before I pump it thru the 3 Stage DI. From there it then goes to either the make up water barrel or the salt mix barrel. Since I do AWC of 4 gallons a day, I can't be mixing salt in the same barrel that I draw the NSW for the daily changes from. So I mix in one barrel, then with a 3-way ball valve, divert the water to the holding barrel.
So here is the set up with added details.

RO Unit. Right to Left - 5 micron pre filter(filter is clean, plastic housing is stained) into the boosting pump, then thru 1 micron final filter, then thru a 1 micron carbon filter. The (2) 75 gallon/day membranes are plumbed in series. Waste from the first is plumbing to the inlet of the second. Then product water from both are sent to the RO barrel for de-gassing.

RO storage on the left which in turn get pumped thru the 3 stage DI to the salt mix barrel on the right or the fresh water make-up barrel (not shown).

Salt mixing pump and 3 way ball valve. This makes transfer to the holding barrel a snap! (Tank on right is a friends that is here only temporary. In other words, not my mess of wires!)

3 Stage DI. Since my well water is high in Co2, I de-gas before I pump it thru the resin. Left is Cation Resin, Middle is Anion, Right is mixed bed. BRS did a great video on why this is a good way to process the RO water.

Entire RO/DI Unit

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 12:12 PM   #1799
mls228
Registered Member

Salt Water Mixing Stations Let's See Them

Here is mine. Modeled after others I found in this thread. Still a work in progress.

1” pipe and uniseals.
1.5” half union valves from Lowe’s. They were $9 per and have nice big handles on them. I just used adapters on each end.

mls228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 02:09 PM   #1800
HarlequinTusk
Registered Member

I'm still building my new saltwater mixing station. I purchased two 65G tanks from Norwesco. I wanted to keep them off the ground by at least 8" since this is in my basement and there's always the potential to get a few inches of water if the sump or electric fails. I needed something that would easily hold well over 1100 pounds based on the fact that 130gals weighs that much. After some intensive googling, I ran across something called a "dunnage rack". They are used by restaurants to stack heavy bulk items (such as large bags of flour) off the floor. This is the one I bought: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/adv...09DUN2460.html

If anyone is looking to buy a rack instead of making one from wood, you should consider dunnage racks.

HarlequinTusk is offline   Reply With Quote