Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/20/2008, 11:02 AM   #1
alve
Registered Member

CA - Alk question regarding Randy's reef chemistry article

I have been reading Randy's great reef chemistry articles and still seem not to be able to solve my problem.

My Alk is on the low side: 6-7dkh, calcium is at 450 and I have been trying to raise Alk.

My other parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
Phosphates: 0
SG: 1.025
PH: 7.92 (night) - 8.14 (day) - measured with Pinpoint PH meter, calibrated 3 weeks ago)

I don't have a Magnesium test kit yet but will be ordering one soon.

The tank is 156g with a 10g + 55g sump (maybe 30g of water for both sumps together)

Since my Ph is under 8.2 Randy advices Washing Soda or an alkalinity supplement that does not contain calcium.

I have been using only the Alk part of my ESV B-Ionic and have been careful not to use too much at a time so ph doesn't go up more than 0.2 at a time. I have been adding about 30ml a day for 4 days now.

On the reef chemistry calculator it says I would need 87ml to raise Alk from 7 to 8 in a 180g volume.

I still can not seem to get Alk up. I also was expecting that with dosing Alk it would also bring up my ph more but it doesn't. It does swing up about 0.2 just after dosing but it drops again afterwards and hasn't gone higher than 8.14.

Anybody who could give me some advice? Thank you.

alve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

The alkalinity is being used as fast as you add it. Try adding twice as much (or two of your doses in a day) and see what that does for you. That's why folks need to dose every day.

The pH dropping again is typical.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2008, 12:45 PM   #3
alve
Registered Member

Thank you Randy!

Can you give some more specific information about "Washing Soda"? In your article it says it is sodium carbonate. Is that the same as baked baking soda?

"To raise 50 gallons of tank water by 1 meq/L will require 10 grams of washing soda (sodium carbonate). Since a level teaspoon of washing soda weighs just over 6 grams, then 1 teaspoon will raise the alkalinity in that 50 gallons by ~0.6 meq/L (~1.7 dKH)."

Also, do you just mix it in some RO/DI water and pour it in or does it has to sit for a while to dissolve?

Unread 02/20/2008, 12:48 PM   #4
alve
Registered Member

I actually just found the Armor & Hammer super washing soda you mentioned in your article online so I guess it is not the same as baked baking soda.

I still would like to know how to use this stuff. Just pour it in some RO/DI water, mix and pour it in the tank?

Unread 02/20/2008, 12:55 PM   #5
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Yes, baked baking soda and washing soda are the same chemically, but I'd recommend baked baking soda unless you can find food grade washing soda.

This article has more details on the recommendation for baked baking soda vs unbaked as part of a two part (but the argument is the same for independent addition):

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote