Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/08/2017, 11:39 PM   #1676
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Absolutely gorgeous Mark The tank is looking stunning! You must be pretty happy with how it's running!

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 12:23 AM   #1677
watchguy123
Registered Member

Pretty tanks deserve notice. Your tank is terrific.

watchguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 04:12 AM   #1678
biggles
Registered Member

How is the reef going Mark, as well as it looks in those last yummy pics i hope

Unread 08/16/2017, 08:17 AM   #1679
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Are you still dosing Lugols?

If so how much? Dosing anything else?

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 05:20 PM   #1680
LandoCalrissian
Moved On

wow looking great!

LandoCalrissian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2017, 02:12 PM   #1681
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
The FTS looks amazing! Do you notice your lps get a little shrunken when no3 becomes undetectable? I notice my frogspawn doesn't open as fully when it happens to me.
Thanks! Mine always stays full even when nitrates are 0. I have seen that before but not in this tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Stunning Mark!!
Thankyou both, sorry for the delayed reply. I have top downs finally.

Unread 08/27/2017, 02:14 PM   #1682
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Absolutely gorgeous Mark The tank is looking stunning! You must be pretty happy with how it's running!
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchguy123 View Post
Pretty tanks deserve notice. Your tank is terrific.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
How is the reef going Mark, as well as it looks in those last yummy pics i hope
Thanksyou guys, sorry it's been so long. Busy summer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
Are you still dosing Lugols?

If so how much? Dosing anything else?
Nope, I will review dosing in an upcoming topdown post.

Unread 08/27/2017, 02:27 PM   #1683
markalot

Ok, whew, finally took some topdown shots. I'm pretty darn happy with everything.

Some background:

So it's been a very busy summer. My son was bit badly by a dog on the face, numerous stitches, will have a scar but not too bad, nothing life changing or anything. He started college as well so we've been busy coordinating that.

I put the tank on auto pilot with minimal maintenance, deciding to stick to what I knew worked and was needed and doing everything else as I had time.

- I kept the skimmer cleaned and made sure it was skimming at a regular rate.
- Made sure Alk stayed as close to 7.0 as possible.

- Made sure I dosed the following every morning.

2 drops PhosphateRx
2 drops AF Vitality
2 drops MicroE

Everything else was done in the afternoon when I had time and sometimes skipped for a few days.

1 drop ProBioS
2 drops Pohls extra special
2 drops CaNO3

If I thought things looked off I would do a small 2 or 3 gallon water change but so far I've only done two of these.

I've tried to feed the tank coral food twice a week but there have been a few weeks where only a single feeding was done.

So far the only negative thing I've noticed is recession in deeply shaded areas. The big Valida base has receded and 2 branches of the Katropora RTN'ed back to branch crotches and stopped (this was weeks ago).

You would think things might not look so hot but these are some of the best top down's this tank has produced.

The only frag added in the last year, that boring green one.

Last edited by markalot; 08/27/2017 at 03:54 PM.
markalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2017, 02:28 PM   #1684
markalot

I wanted to get a picture of the slimer but it's too big so i just gave up.

Same problem with the valida, just too darn big.

I don't know what color this milli is. Reddish purple with all lights on, pinkish under blues.

Unread 08/27/2017, 07:01 PM   #1685
codydemmel4
Registered Member

wow Mark, everything is looking great!!

How often are you feeding your fish?

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 08/27/2017, 07:14 PM   #1686
markalot

Quote:
wow Mark, everything is looking great!!

How often are you feeding your fish?
Twice daily, pellets and flake.

FTS

Unread 08/27/2017, 08:34 PM   #1687
KJoFan
Registered Member

How do you get such fantastic topdown shots?

KJoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2017, 10:10 PM   #1688
Pife
Registered Member

Your tank is looking great despite the minimal attention. I hope your son is doing well, that experience sounds horrible.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2017, 05:07 PM   #1689
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

You can be excused on your lack of updates Mark because that photo-bomb was just unreal!! The tank is looking splendid man!!

I hope your son has/had a speedy recovering! That would have been nasty, sounds like he had a pretty full on summer heading off to college as well!

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2017, 06:34 PM   #1690
codydemmel4
Registered Member

how long have you been dosing af vitality and why do you dose it?

I have it but have not dosed it in months.

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 08/29/2017, 06:43 AM   #1691
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Mark, same boat-- busy lately.. I had a quick look and your tank continues to shine!
Soonnice. I'll come back to droool more over the pics.
Sorry to hear about your son! That kind of thing makes a parent crazy because there is noting you can do to control the situation.. hope he recovers well.. may I ask what type of dog bit him?

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2017, 04:16 PM   #1692
nemodan
Registered Member

Hi Mark , I am not happy hearing about your son bad experience and thanks God with not big issues to his face.

The tank looks great, as always. I can't remember, but from your postings on this page you are almost not doing water changes, correct?

All the best to your son and wish him a fast recovery.

Cheers
Daniel

nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2017, 05:36 AM   #1693
Redgeesir
Registered Member

Super sick tank and colors

Redgeesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2017, 05:29 AM   #1694
markalot

Sorry it took so long to reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoFan View Post
How do you get such fantastic topdown shots?
I use a top down box that attaches to the camera lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Your tank is looking great despite the minimal attention. I hope your son is doing well, that experience sounds horrible.
Thanks Pife, he's doing very well fortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
You can be excused on your lack of updates Mark because that photo-bomb was just unreal!! The tank is looking splendid man!!

I hope your son has/had a speedy recovering! That would have been nasty, sounds like he had a pretty full on summer heading off to college as well!
Yea, pack all life experience into one summer like busy! Thank for the kind words.

Quote:
how long have you been dosing af vitality and why do you dose it?

I have it but have not dosed it in months.
I've been dosing it for 6 months now, I think. It's vitamins, smells like vitamins, and the health benefits seem solid with no adverse effects besides a little extra red cyano here and there.

Quote:
Hey Mark, same boat-- busy lately.. I had a quick look and your tank continues to shine!
Soonnice. I'll come back to droool more over the pics.
Sorry to hear about your son! That kind of thing makes a parent crazy because there is noting you can do to control the situation.. hope he recovers well.. may I ask what type of dog bit him?
Thanks Matt. Labradoodle or some nonsense. Seems like they are bred for lack of shedding. He made a few mistakes ... dog did not know him, approached near food bowl, etc. Not totally the dogs fault but I worry about dogs that are quick to defend with a bite like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemodan View Post
Hi Mark , I am not happy hearing about your son bad experience and thanks God with not big issues to his face.

The tank looks great, as always. I can't remember, but from your postings on this page you are almost not doing water changes, correct?

All the best to your son and wish him a fast recovery.

Cheers
Daniel
Hi Daniel, I rarely do water changes unless something looks off without explanation. When I do water changes the tank looks a lot better after a few days so IMO a little more on a regular basis would do me well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgeesir View Post
Super sick tank and colors
Thanks!

Unread 09/11/2017, 05:34 AM   #1695
markalot

So I often do things that make me question my sanity. I should preface this with tank is fine, no mistake that caused any issues but ...

I had been annoyed at how I was using more of the Alk two part than the Calcium. I think most people, at this point, would have quickly deduced that one of the dosers was off. Not me, no, I'd rather just complain about it rather than use logic!

Since balancing out the dosers and raising calcium up to more normal levels I think I've seen a definite health improvement in a few acros. I believe this has been going on for at least 3 months based on left over calcium jugs. It was when the Alk ran dry with calcium having 1/4 left that I realized there might be an issue.

And yet the tank looks better than it ever has, really enjoying the stability of careful neglect. (I say careful because I do visit the tank daily and do needed maintenance, it's not ignored).

Unread 09/11/2017, 06:14 PM   #1696
markalot

Calcium had dropped to 380 and I've raised it to 400 for now. The real question is how long had it been that low. I've had some LPS issues, and some base recession and branch death on a few acros but only in shaded areas. Could be related though, stress plus poor conditions usually equals trouble.

Yesterday was get the hands back in the tank day. My goal, besides trimming the weeds, was to toss corals / frags I that were not happy or colorful and move a few things around to capitalize on the minimal space.

The Hawkins gets a spot up front after carefully removing all the Xenia that had grown around it. This was really fun since I did not remove it from the water. Amazingly it hardly lost any color, the brown being parts that were being shaded.

The Red Robin was in a bad spot, being shaded by an acro above it and the Xenia. I turned this stick around and re-positioned (leaning on an acro that refused to cooperate) so that it's also right up front.

Brown Robin

I could not give up my only frag rack so i chopped up a rock/frag mag thing so it fit in the narrow space. Not quite natural looking but better than a black plastic rack. Might be feeding time.

I want more of this little dude. It's grown a thick base at the same time it's started to branch out.

This odd damage might be related to low calcium. The odd blue/grey streaks instead of solid green. Looks interesting, but not right.

FTS You can see how the color is down a few notches, i figure it will take a few weeks to color back up.

Unread 09/11/2017, 06:25 PM   #1697
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Hey, can you hand me that napkin next to you, I need it to wipe my drool!

Amazing tank, glad to hear your son is Ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2017, 10:21 AM   #1698
reefmutt
Registered Member

Still looking really good, Mark.
Still amazes me to back to the beginning of this thread and look at what's gone on and how the tank looks now.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2017, 05:59 AM   #1699
Pife
Registered Member

The growth is great Mark. Your fts is very pleasing because of how mature it looks. What fish do you have in there? What does your feeding schedule look like?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2017, 11:52 AM   #1700
markalot

Quote:
Still looking really good, Mark.
Still amazes me to back to the beginning of this thread and look at what's gone on and how the tank looks now.
Thanks Matt. I still expect it to crash any day now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
The growth is great Mark. Your fts is very pleasing because of how mature it looks. What fish do you have in there? What does your feeding schedule look like?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
I feed twice a day, 3 times on weekends. Some algae flake but mostly Hikari pellets.

Coral food is usually once a week using BRS Reef Chili. I have used other products but Reef Chili works and is the least expensive. I was a fan of Reef Roids but most of it ends up in the sump for some reason.

Fish:

One Spot Foxface
Yellow Tang
Kole Tang

2 Lyretail Anthias

Sixline Wrasse
Yellow Tail Damsel

Coral Beauty Angel
Flame Angel

Blue Chromis

Male and Female Clown (false percula)

Midas Blenny