Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/19/2018, 11:04 AM   #1
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Another Maroon Hybrid (Wild)

I was on a trip to Sacramento yesterday and stopped by one of the local fish stores. There was a clownfish there that I felt confident was a hybrid. After a brief google search I came across an article by Jake Adams from 11/28/12 documenting a Maroon/Tomato hybrid collected in the Philippines.
Notice the clown in the photos has a slightly oval shaped body. I also think its eyes are slightly darker than regular maroon clowns.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2018, 11:08 AM   #2
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

And here's my current pair of white stripe maroon clowns for comparison. Picture was taken this morning before the lights came on.

Unread 11/21/2018, 10:15 AM   #3
ocellaris123
Registered Member

Thats a nice pair of wsm you have! How do they treat the anemone? I had to recently get rid of my GSM pair because they were ripping my green bta to shreds

ocellaris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2018, 03:52 PM   #4
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris123 View Post
Thats a nice pair of wsm you have! How do they treat the anemone? I had to recently get rid of my GSM pair because they were ripping my green bta to shreds
They are actually nice to their host. I made sure I got a BTA that was a decent size. They tend to overfeed the anemone when I drop slightly larger pieces of LRS food in the tank. Other than that they are okay.
Having had the pair for about 3 weeks I think WSM is my second favorite type of clown only behind Wild Onyx clowns.

Unread 11/21/2018, 06:05 PM   #5
ocellaris123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
They are actually nice to their host. I made sure I got a BTA that was a decent size. They tend to overfeed the anemone when I drop slightly larger pieces of LRS food in the tank. Other than that they are okay.
Having had the pair for about 3 weeks I think WSM is my second favorite type of clown only behind Wild Onyx clowns.
Awesome, the anemone which they hosted was 3 times the maroons size but they still terrorized it. For some reason they did not exhibit the same destructive behavior on my rose anemones or another type of green bubble tip anemone, only a particular green bta.

Are you planning on breeding the pair of maroons?

Unread 11/21/2018, 06:47 PM   #6
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris123 View Post
Are you planning on breeding the pair of maroons?
I’d like to but it’s highly unlikely. Out of all CB clowns I’ve seen, Maroons appear to be the most deformed. Their super aggressive behavior towards similarly sized brothers has probably a lot to do with it. I might give it a try but if all I get is culls then that will be the end of it.

Unread 11/22/2018, 01:45 PM   #7
ocellaris123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
I’d like to but it’s highly unlikely. Out of all CB clowns I’ve seen, Maroons appear to be the most deformed. Their super aggressive behavior towards similarly sized brothers has probably a lot to do with it. I might give it a try but if all I get is culls then that will be the end of it.
Yeah, I have never once seen a perfect Captive bred maroons. Hopefully you dont run into those issues if you try. I have a pair of tomatoes which I hope to breed one day.

Unread 12/08/2018, 12:10 AM   #8
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Interesting fish. I agree it may be a hybrid.

Planetmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2018, 02:21 PM   #9
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

How can a hatchery send a clown out like this? Is it just because it's Petco?