Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/04/2010, 01:05 PM   #26
joel_u
Registered Member

Evolving plans: I've found many posts where people have had good success with LifeReef HOB pre-filters, so I think I'm going to give it a try! So new plan is:

37g display tank (undrilled)
LifeReef nano pre-filter
29g diy sump (maybe one of the designs from melevsreef.com)
In-tank skimmer for sump (maybe one of the smaller Reef Octopus models)
Return pump rated for ~400 gph
In DT, keep the AC50 power head and add something like a K2 or Tunze nano

How does that sound? Pretty awesome, right!?!?!?

joel_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2010, 10:39 PM   #27
zach jay
Registered Member

I think this is one of the better "new tank setups" I've read about. You've tried to discuss everything before you acted and actually listened to what people have said. I'm not an expert, but so many people here are and its nice to see someone starting up the right way.

definitely look into skimmers. I have a Bubble Magnus NAC6 on my 20g (in sump skimmer) and it works great. Reef Octos have a great reputation I think; it was between the 110nw and the NAC6 for me.

If you ever decide to get corals, I'd go with probably 2 koralias, either a 1 and 2, or 2 2s. koralias are good at generalizing the flow, which helps eliminate dead spots (areas with no flow).

as for the temp, salinity, and ph, the temp should be between 76 and 82 or so, I keep mine at 78.5 on a controller. the salinity should be around 1.026, but pH will swing around until after the cycle so don't worry about that.

for the rock, as long as you cycle the tank (wait for ammonia to spike and go down, nitrites to spike and go down, and nitrates to spike and go down), you can add a lot of base rock to save money. 50-60lbs was suggested as a total number. you could do 20 live and 40 base if you wanted. I'd add the rock as soon as possible to help with the cycle. only until the cycle has passed, then I'd add a CUC (should be 4 weeks or so. I double check all my parameters at the end of the cycle with a lfs).

good luck! you're on the right track.

Last edited by zach jay; 02/04/2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: koralia info
zach jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2010, 10:58 PM   #28
joel_u
Registered Member

Thanks for the comments and props, zach jay!

I've made some progress, but also hit a few snags. After researching sumps I decided to get a pre-made "Euro-Fil" model, which I found at a LFS. Basically I decided that building one myself would probably end up costing about the same amount and would not come out as well. I also looked at ordering one online, but the shipping costs would be crazy.

So I bought a 30" Euro-Fil, and then realized that I can't get it under the stand!! The area underneath is big enough, but the doorway is too small....doh! So after feeling stupid for a bit, I weighed the options and decided to remove the top of the stand so I could drop the sump in. I think it actually worked out ok -- the top I removed is a thin plywood plank that sits atop the sides. I didn't have to do anything to those, so I think the stand will still be strong once put back together.

So basically at this point I need to confirm shipment of the lifereef HOB overflow, get a return pump, assemble the sump and re-assemble the tank, and then figure out how to plumb the whole thing.

Questions at this point:
1. What return pump should I get? (output height will be 4', overflow is rate for max flow of 400 gph, tank volume is 37g, sump volume will probably be about 20g)
2. Anyone have experience with Euro-fil sumps? Any tips?

Here are some pics chronicling all of this wackiness!

How tank looked before disassembling:
f40 start.JPG

Sump:
sump.JPG

Problem!
problem.JPG

Pop the top....
pop the top.JPG

Solution!
solution.JPG

Unread 02/12/2010, 02:51 PM   #29
joel_u
Registered Member

Stocking Options

Hey folks,

So I have a separate thread for my sump, and I'm gathering tips from all over, but am hoping here to get some feedback on possible stocking options. So, how about the following options? (again, this is for a 37g tank with 20g sump, intended to someday be a reef):

[S1]: Royal gramma, Pair of Clowns, Goby/Blenny
[S2]: Wrasse, Pair of Clowns, Goby/Blenny
[S3]: Mini school of Chromis
[S4]: Damsel, Goby/Blenny
[S5]: Mandarin, Pair of clowns
[S6]: Fuzzy Dwarf Lion

Thanks!

Unread 02/16/2010, 09:57 PM   #30
joel_u
Registered Member

Hey folks,

I've made a lot of progress with setting up a sump (see discussion of plan -- http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1792201). Here's the design:

+ LifeReef nano pre-filter over flow box
+ Empties into 30"x12" Euro-Fil sump (will add LR to in flow area)
+ Return pump is an eHeim 1250
+ Pump is in a submerged medium Kritter Keeper sitting on a little "table" -- kind of strange, but think it will work
+ Temp return just dumping back into tank -- need to build a proper return line

The test I did worked well, so think I'm on the right track -- just need to work out the return, check on how to quiet the drain, and then go from there! Here are some pics:

LifeReef over flow:
IMG_0031.JPG

Temp return line:
IMG_0032.JPG

Sump in flow area:
IMG_0033.JPG

Sump pump area:
IMG_0034.JPG

FTS:
IMG_0035.JPG

Woot!

Unread 02/17/2010, 05:28 PM   #31
joel_u
Registered Member

Bump for some feedback on the sump design and/or stocking....? Updated stocking options are:

[S1]: Royal gramma, Pair of Clowns, Blenny
[S2]: Wrasse, Pair of Clowns, Blenny
[S3]: Mini school of Chromis
[S4]: Damsel, Dwarf Angel, Blenny
[S5]: Fuzzy Dwarf Lion
[S6]: Foxface?? (are there any that are small enough to fit?)

also open to any other ideas....

Thanks!

Unread 02/17/2010, 06:01 PM   #32
EasyEd77
Registered Member

Not bashing this website at all, but when I started with a nano I frequented www.nano-reef.com. There is a ton of good info on there and everyone has a nano tank.

EasyEd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2010, 06:06 PM   #33
joel_u
Registered Member

That's a good point -- my tank isn't super small, but probably has more in common with 10-20g nano tanks than 75+-ers....maybe I'll start a thread over there just to get some different perspectives....

Thanks.

Tags
20g, equipment, newbie, stocking