Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/19/2015, 03:52 PM   #51
ReefWreak
Registered Member

lol I know. I need to take a razor and start hacking away. But I'm busy right now. Aranciata and vodka, and watching this . Cause baby, you're a firework.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2015, 06:43 PM   #52
soulpatch
Registered Member

you need to get the flipper nano or the tunze nano. No need for razor blades again...

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2015, 06:53 AM   #53
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Well Reefapalooza should be the perfect place to see what scrapers are out there and pick up the best one.

Unread 06/22/2015, 11:39 AM   #54
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Nice little nano. What foods are you feeding the fish?

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2015, 11:50 AM   #55
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Thanks!

I feed a small pinch of NLS TherA+ daily (sometimes twice daily), and every friday or so, I break a small piece of Rods food (1/4" x 1/4" or so), thaw it in tank water, and distribute it with the pumps off. No direct feeding of corals (though I know some of the pellets fall onto the euphillia and fungia corals), and no SPS feeding.

I have started dosing one capful of Acropower weekly, but again, I do not believe I am seeing benefits from it, and even if I saw something going on, I just got rid of my refugium at the same time, so I'm not sure which would be the right reason for things getting better.

As a side note, I need to start adding magnesium. When testing my magnesium level is always on the low side, and I have the BRS magnesium mix sitting around, so I should probably start adding it in.

Does anyone know if Dragon's Breath algae grows quickly or not? It hasn't ever grown much in my tank, but I don't know if it's because it is a slow grower, or if it is because it has been out-competed by the green hair algae that I always let grow in the refugium.

Unread 06/26/2015, 01:26 PM   #56
ReefWreak
Registered Member

HHNNNGGGG I just wrote a nice narrative on my testing for the day, and then my finger slipped and I hit CTRL-W, so goodbye nice long post. Damnit.

Salinity is a little low --> skimmer is skimming too wet, despite it pulling out a dark tea color.

Alk (7.7) is right where I left it 2 weeks ago, bumped up dosing is working.
Ca (~350) is falling behind, so I upped its dosing, it's closer to Alk's schedule now.

Alk is 7 minutes x2 daily (7.7mLx2), Cal is 6 minutes x2 daily (6.6mLx2) with the +1 update.

Nitrates are 0. Good thing. While staring into the depths of my (small) abyss, I noticed that some of the rocks have a thin short hair growth of algae on them. About 0.5mm or so. I think it's from my skeleton crew of clean up crew.

Did two capfulls of Acropower today. Colors are good as it is, just looking for the next best thing. Skimmer will be off for the next 12 hours or so.

I'm itching for the next great thing... I'm thinking maybe I should dial the lights up a bit more, 5% blue and 5% colors? That would put me at 45 on each. For those of you with 700mA LEDs, double my blue numbers for your comparison.

The colors on my corals are actually very nice, I just want more growth. I was wondering if maybe it was a lack of calcium/alkalinity that I wasn't seeing great growth the last month or so, but A. I do see some growth, so I shouldn't be so harsh, and B. there are many other reasons for there not to be growth.

I want those extra nutrients to be growing coral, not that stupid rockfuzz of algae!

Unread 06/26/2015, 01:34 PM   #57
soulpatch
Registered Member

I wouldnt up the lights any more personally. I cant even get above 80% or so without seeing decline so you are probably spot on for where you want them to be if not a little too bright. I think the lack of calcium is hindering your growth more then anything else.

I need to get back into testing. I have gone long enough to have cycled the high alk from my tank switching back to reef crystals so I need to get back into testing once or twice a week and set up my dosers.

Unread 06/26/2015, 02:07 PM   #58
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I really should be testing my RC waterchange water too until I get really comfortable with it, and particularly to see how it's impacting my alk/cal levels. I think that was one of the reasons I never used to like messing with water changes in my old tank. With a calcium reactor dialed in, any time you used lower alkalinity NSW, it would drag down alkalinity levels to NSW, and I didn't want to go through all of the testing to buffer it back up appropriately.

I know once you get into the rhythm, it isn't an issue anymore, and you don't have to test every time then, but still, like testing 3 times a day, once before W/C, W/C water, and once after W/C is a PITA. But it should be done.

Unread 06/26/2015, 02:08 PM   #59
soulpatch
Registered Member

agreed and soemthing I need to get back into.

Unread 06/27/2015, 06:19 PM   #60
homer1475
Registered Member

I never test my water change water, should I be? I did once or twice when I was having issues with MAG, and it tested very close to what the bag/box/pail says it is. It was withing a couple points of what they claim it should mix up at, but not enough of a difference to make a difference.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2015, 09:45 AM   #61
ReefWreak
Registered Member

You should test your water change water every now and then, until you get in a rhythm and are comfortable with knowing what it's parameters will be when mixed to whatever salinity you mix at (1.025 for me).

As long as your experience has been that it mixes to that, you're good. I have not yet see my ReefCrystals mix to the alkalinity/calcium as advertised, as I think I get a lot of precipitation, and don't know why.

Unread 06/28/2015, 09:49 AM   #62
ReefWreak
Registered Member

A quick update. Reef-a-palooza was yesterday. I lost my mind, and my wife helped, and I spent the whole palooza of my wallet there. Walked away with some great stuff, met some great hobbyists and stores, and overall had a good time. I'll post updates/pics as the lights come on today and I start getting decent pictures. Gotta document the process!

Last night was about 3-4 hours of making new water, drip acclimating everything, observing some things, dipping some things, and planning out where to put things. My cube is officially overpacked, and I'm embarrassed. And I haven't even started adding in the new corals. So now the clock is really ticking on moving/getting a new tank. It is nice though that most people "need" a bigger tank because they bought tangs when they were small, and now that they've inevitably grown, they need a bigger tank. I will have coral frags that will start growing into each other, and are growing too big for the tank, and that will drive me to my next tank. Slightly more humane? Saving the reefs!

So one last FTS before I start(ed) adding more stuff to the tank. As I start taking pictures today when the lights come on of the new additions I'll post them up here and all will be revealed.

Unread 06/30/2015, 08:16 PM   #63
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Well, I learned you can have enough corals.

The front right rock tumbled over while I was at work today, so when I came home, late, I spent most of the evening trying to glue everything back together. All while my clownfish kept biting my hand. Which made me knock into many other corals all over the tank. All in all it was a terrible night and I'm really ****ed at the stupid effing clownfish.

Most of the frags that I picked up over the weekend were doing very well before the rockfall, but now after being knocked around so much, I'm not so sure, including my prized Paletta's Pink tip, which was on that front right rock, and the rock fell on top of.

::sigh:: lots of great new stuff from Reef-a-palooza (but mostly from NJReefer members), but accompanying tragedy and reorganization within the tank.

And that stupid defensive/aggressive clown... I did want to set up an anemone tank one day for him and the Mrs... but ya know what? I don't think so anymore.

Unread 06/30/2015, 08:19 PM   #64
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I went all soft!

Just kidding. My wife really liked a pipe organ coral (Tubipora musica) that she saw at RaP, and I was all for it. I've actually always loved them and their beautiful red skeletons that they build. I'm excited to watch it grow. Already entirely open and happy. nice little softy-looking polyps that keep nice and organized in their skeleton. Very good.

Unread 07/01/2015, 05:36 AM   #65
homer1475
Registered Member

Nice looking pipe organ coral, I was looking at one at my LFS the other day.

On a side note, you need a flipper nano to clean up that corraline on the front glass down by your sandbed. The flipper nano is probably one of the best and cheapest investment I've made for my tank's husbandry.

Unread 07/01/2015, 07:35 AM   #66
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I had the flipper in my cart yesterday when I was buying magnets for a new skimmer (Thanks soulpatch!), but couldn't commit. I keep going back and forth on whether I should just be using tossaway razor blades (as I always used to do) or go with the flipper. It's annoying because of the curve on the front glass, so I always have to do side-to-side scraping/brushing with the tank as it is.

The point is, yes, I do need to cut back the coralline. It's probably soaking up too much calcium too.

Unread 07/01/2015, 07:43 AM   #67
homer1475
Registered Member

Yeah I have that issue as well. Can only go side to side because of the curve. Down near the bottom though, up and down works just as well. One advantage of the flipper, cost of throw away razor blades and not having to stick your hands in the tank. Besides the flipper has replaceable blades, and their not sharp like a razor blade so there's less chance of scratching the glass.

To each their own, but I find the flipper to be one of those items I'll never be without again. I consider it a necessity now same as a return pump and lights.

Unread 07/01/2015, 08:22 AM   #68
soulpatch
Registered Member

the $20 or so for the flipper is so worth it. It is seriously like it was made for our tanks. It handles the curves so well. The tunze nano is another I was looking to pick up to try out since there is less contact with glass but now with new tank project coming along I will wait and get the larger tunze for new tank.

Unread 07/01/2015, 08:25 AM   #69
ReefWreak
Registered Member

The small Tunze is only plastic blades on both ends, so I don't trust it. I guess I'll commit to the flipper.

oOo this gives me the opportunity to turn my current magnet into a frag rack then! Excellent! Kill 2 birds with 1 stone, and about the price of a frag rack anyway.

Unread 07/02/2015, 04:50 PM   #70
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Video field trip time!

I know, I still have to A. clean my glass, and B. list all of my new fun critters after Reef-a-palooza!

And clams!

Last edited by ReefWreak; 07/02/2015 at 05:12 PM.
Unread 07/02/2015, 05:28 PM   #71
homer1475
Registered Member

First photo didn't post. I've been contemplating a clam, but I'm quickly running out of space!! I think I need to upgrade my nano.

Unread 07/02/2015, 05:33 PM   #72
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Yeah, I'll work on fixing that first one. It's supposed to be an embedded video from picasa, but it doesn't seem to be working right.

The clam on the left (T. Deresa) is new from RaP. The one on the right is Mr. Maxima, and I've had him for about 4 or 5 months.

I have to figure out how to get this video out of Picasa and into youtube, or at least how to embed it from picasa.

Unread 07/02/2015, 05:35 PM   #73
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Top down pics are nice too. Can't complain about coralline growing on the glass if you can't see the glass

Unread 07/02/2015, 05:41 PM   #74
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I think I've got it now!

Skimmer performance (Aquaticlife 115 after 2 days skimming)

Unread 07/02/2015, 08:49 PM   #75
pompeyjohn
Registered Member.

What mode and setting do you have the mp10 set on?

pompeyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote