Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/29/2012, 12:39 PM   #201
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh8g8delik View Post
Cheap wine can still taste good! I had a bottle of Bogle and it was no more than 10 dollars. One of my favorite. I really like your #1 attempt on your aquascape. I myself like the little cave and overhanging look.
Wife liked #3 alot more than #1 so...... You may know what that means!

Just happened to check into forum right now, just got out of a roger wilco in Burlington nj. Sea Ridge merlot and syrah for 3.99 per bottle. I don't drink it cause it's cheap, drink it cause it's good.

jt48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2012, 11:43 PM   #202
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul leon View Post
good job ,and i love your dogs
Thanks. They are a hand full requiring constant attention but well worth it. The younger one "Tala" recently celebrated her first birthday and asked for a photo shoot next to her 6000 gallon koi pond.

Unread 07/01/2012, 12:24 AM   #203
Below Radar
Registered Member

I read an article on aquascaping and from what I gathered, it said to NOT be symetric. Also said that the 5/3 rule/technique is what photographers use. Apparently more appealing to the eye. That being said, still looks nice. I am in the scaping step of my build right now also. I want it to be appealing to others but at the end of the day, No one from this, or any, forum will be looking at it everyday. As long as you can look at it and enjoy it, I think it should be considered a good scape...regardless of what any article says.
BTW, just got finished reading this thread and will be tagging along!

Below Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2012, 06:48 AM   #204
jt48
Registered Member

Changed my return lines; switched out two 90 degree elbows for two 45 degree elbows. Then used Krylon Fusion spray paint and West 105 resin and 205 hardener.
Before:

Products used:

Result:

Unread 07/04/2012, 07:45 AM   #205
Crazy_Beaver
Registered Member

Should have some effect on better flow

Current Tank: Beaver's Crazy Reef (51X39X25, powered by ATB , Hyperion R2, Tunze )
Crazy_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2012, 07:46 AM   #206
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Great idea with the 45's. Less back pressure on the return. I hope is said that right.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2012, 03:03 PM   #207
jt48
Registered Member

For the record: July 7, 2012

Tank is running! It took 8.5 days for my wimpy ro/di unit to fill tank and sump.
Although i have had an Aquaclear 110 with sponge and carbon for filtration and a mag 5 for circulation running for several days, i was able to start the system today.
Other activitities:
Built 7" high acryllic and PVC stand for skimmer. Started skimmer.
Added 30 pounds Ecosystems Miracle Mud to refugium section.
Added rubble rock to sump.
Added three MP40 w ES
Added sand to DT (average 1")
Slightly rearranged aquascaping to incorporate a piece of branch rock to add a focal "high" point. Also enhanced the "valley" at 5-3 rule.

As of now, my impressions:
Advantage-system runs nearly silent.
Disadvantage-disappointed in the amount of flow from return pump. I do understand that high flow through sump is not necessary or even advantageous.
But...on my fresh water 240 gallon I had a mag 18 going to a tee then two 90 elbows then two (total) 1" returns. Head pressure was about 4 feet. Flow was so strong that it was a little difficult screwing on the Sunday eductors. With this system, the 1.5" return is split by a "Y" (better than a tee) for two 1" returns(same as the FW system), one 90 and two 45's each side. Pump is a Dolphin Ampmaster 4750 at about 8 feet head pressure.
Granted head pressure is twice as much but pump is more than twice as powerful. I would have thought my flow would be more, not less.

In previous post, I articulated the problem wave in the sump. This problem was eliminated by lowering the water level in the return section. However, it was brought to my attention that the height of the 2nd baffle should be lower than the first and the 3rd lower than the 2nd. The wave was being created by the "fight" uphill! So I corrected that problem and am now able to have much more volume in the return section. About 10 gallons more?

Last edited by jt48; 07/07/2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Typo
Unread 07/07/2012, 03:09 PM   #208
nanoohio
Registered Member

Really like the way this one is going I'm tagging along! Your a very lucky guy with a very understanding wife!

nanoohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2012, 03:36 PM   #209
BigOldReef
Registered Member

Glad to hear the sump issue was resolved...

Which return pump are you not happy with ?

Current Tank Info: 400g Display Tank
BigOldReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2012, 04:01 PM   #210
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldReef View Post
Glad to hear the sump issue was resolved...

Which return pump are you not happy with ?
Sorry for the confusion. I forget that not everyone speaks John.
The mag 18 at 4 feet head pressure gave me much more flow than the Dolphin Ampmaster 4750 at 8 feet head pressure.

Unread 07/07/2012, 04:24 PM   #211
muttley000
MTS Sufferer!

Nice system you have put together! Looking forward to seeing the stock begin to fill it. Is the flow the same with or without the eductors?

Current Tank Info: 475 multitank system is now running! Several hundred gallons of additions planned!
muttley000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2012, 05:30 PM   #212
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley000 View Post
Nice system you have put together! Looking forward to seeing the stock begin to fill it. Is the flow the same with or without the eductors?
Thanks and good question. I did not test the flow without the eductors. I do know that they made a big difference on my old system.

Unread 07/08/2012, 01:00 AM   #213
BigOldReef
Registered Member

From my experience with the Dolphin pumps they are Volume pumps not pressure rated at all. And to get the most performance from them your plumbing has to be set up for volume flow. Minimal elbows (I actually used all sweeps) and you can't reduce the plumbing size.

Unread 07/08/2012, 02:20 AM   #214
reyrd
Registered Member

I think the wave in your sump is created by the pump. the water level in the return chamber may affected the height of the wave. my assumption is that the pump is not pump continuously. It is pumping in pulse. can you put your hand near the pump inlet and see if you can feel it? again this is just my assumption. I hope its help you trouble shoot.

reyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2012, 02:55 PM   #215
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldReef View Post
From my experience with the Dolphin pumps they are Volume pumps not pressure rated at all. And to get the most performance from them your plumbing has to be set up for volume flow. Minimal elbows (I actually used all sweeps) and you can't reduce the plumbing size.
That's interesting. I used this chart, rated at 3000 gph at 8 feet, along with price and power consumption to make my decision. Granted I am reducing the 1.5 to two 1.0's via a "y" and have a 90 and two 45's but not getting anything near 1500 gph out of each return. But, I have no evidence to support that other than experience of sight and feel. I should really test to see what I am truly getting.

Unread 07/08/2012, 02:59 PM   #216
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyrd View Post
I think the wave in your sump is created by the pump. the water level in the return chamber may affected the height of the wave. my assumption is that the pump is not pump continuously. It is pumping in pulse. can you put your hand near the pump inlet and see if you can feel it? again this is just my assumption. I hope its help you trouble shoot.
The wave problem was solved by lowering the height of baffles. Motor is running continuously. Thanks for your input.

Unread 07/08/2012, 09:43 PM   #217
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Lowering the baffles made the difference. Wow. Glad that was the solution to your wave problem. Something for me to lookout for and other reefers who might incur that same problem.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2012, 01:30 PM   #218
faisal629
Coolest Member

I don't think a yellow and purple would go good with each other...from the research i've done on them at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt48 View Post
Thank you.

List is not set in stone, most are seen in every other reef tank (with reason!) Some of my favorite fish-

Stocking List

Regal angel
Copperband Butterfly*
Powder Blue Tang
Hippo Tang
Yellow Tang
Naso Tang
Kole tang
Purple Tang
Flame Hawkfish
School of Cardinalfish (undecided-blue eye, long spine, bangai) OR
School of Anthias (undecided)
Percula Clownfish*
Reef safe Wrasse ( undecided)

I am a big fan of zoas and many LPS. Tank will be mixed reef, not SPS dominated. I was thinking of sticking to just one species of SPS throughout the tank such as Blue Tort.

60G DT (google Faisal's 60 cube)
40B FT (google Faisal's 40B frag tank)
faisal629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2012, 01:49 PM   #219
BigOldReef
Registered Member

I've kept yellows and purples together for years.

At the moment I have 9 yellows and a purple. Yellows are split between large and small sized. Purple was added last and is medium small sized and had no issues coming into the tank.

All depends on the demeanor of the fish. But I have paired these two types of tangs together in my reef tanks, Fish Only tanks, and frag tanks. I've never had any issues that have lasted more than 24 hours.

Unread 07/09/2012, 02:24 PM   #220
jt48
Registered Member

All good info thanks. What do you believe the first fish should be? I was thinking of something safe like the perculas.

Unread 07/09/2012, 09:35 PM   #221
jt48
Registered Member

Clearer but still cloudy

Unread 07/09/2012, 10:14 PM   #222
BigOldReef
Registered Member

Percs are a good option.

But then again they are going to find one area and stake that out. I'm thinking a gaggle of chromis so you have movement across the tank right away.

Moorish Idol probably not a good starter fish

Unread 07/09/2012, 10:40 PM   #223
WEBBERIII
Registered Member

The Flame Hawkfish would be cool.

WEBBERIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2012, 11:36 PM   #224
jt48
Registered Member

I have read that chromis such as the blue chromis are peaceful towards other species but brutal amongst themselves. That if u have a school of 7, you will eventually have but one. Is this true to your experience?
If so, that is why I would consider a school of blue eyed cardinals.

Last edited by jt48; 07/09/2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Clarity
Unread 07/10/2012, 12:54 AM   #225
BigOldReef
Registered Member

Since you are just starting things up I was thinking of an option that's not to costly since you might experience tank startup losses.

I personally have never had long term success with chromis (thinking years). I have started with larger groups that dwindle down. However, I very seldom feed my reef tanks. And I think as an open water fish the chromis is not suited to feeding off of the rock.

I've never had aggression issues with the Chromis. I recently turned down a mature goldflake angel that was killing chromis as fast as it could. One of the nicest Goldflakes I have seen, right until you see it rip the side out of a chromis and then start chasing the next one down.