Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/21/2016, 09:21 PM   #3651
karimwassef
Registered Member

I dosed peroxide before going UV. It slows them down, but doesn't remove them.

It's like a poor man's UV (and I am a poor man, so.... ). I eventually put enough together to go UV.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2016, 10:27 PM   #3652
taricha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taricha View Post
So Round 2:
I used a little syringe - in 100ml Osti/water mix I added
.01ml, .02ml, .04ml, .08ml, .16ml of peroxide
After about 30 min the .01 and .02 looked pretty similar to the control. The .04ml might have had half of ostis stop moving. The .08 and the .16 had no moving dinos. I checked back on the .04 ml beaker after an hour - still looked about the same as at 30 minutes.
I'll post vids later.
Here's vids. Looked at them again. Can't see much difference in the control .01,.02 or .04 dose.
https://goo.gl/photos/yTzMTneKHsFNL3uz8

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2016, 11:15 PM   #3653
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Cyano - sure, but dinos are more than cyano.
A few have stated success in that thread with dinos as well but I was referring to the thread more FYI educational type as it does discuss as well H2O2's effectiveness and timings of that effectiveness. 12 hours if I recall which was the bases for dosing morning and evening for cyano. Again, if I recall correctly the person that went into more detail on the dinos success dosed every couple hours.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2016, 11:16 PM   #3654
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Resistant. Not immune. Takes much more peroxide to knock out ostis than say, cyano. And much more than amphidinium dinos too.
I found literature on dose response to peroxide for lots of other types of phytoplankton, but couldn't find any for ostreopsis, so trying to at least come up with a ballpark figure.
I can tell you a direct dose of peroxide knocks them out and seems to rupture their shell. First hand experimentation.

Cyano completely falls apart.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 05/21/2016, 11:24 PM   #3655
jason2459
Registered Member

Oh, i guess i didnt update my upclose biology thread here yet. I thought I did. Way to tired to do it now. I was going to link to the vid and pic of the dinos before and after H2O2. Its updated on that other site that peroxide thread is at.

Heres the playlist
Cyano H2O2: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...SovGqjiCjXnpa-

Unread 05/22/2016, 08:31 AM   #3656
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

I've been wanting a microscope for a while now, so I figure this is a good time. Can I make a positive ID at 400x or is stronger mag needed? It's capable of 1000X but I know these cheaper microscopes don't have the best optics.

Also, do you guys notice a smell with your Dinos? Every time I change out my filter floss, I notice it has a bizarre smell. Kind of like low tide mixed with a sweet smell that instantly turns up the nose. All my media has the smell trapped in it too. I think this is the part I most look forward to defeating, lol.

Unread 05/22/2016, 10:01 AM   #3657
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

Sand is looking better and better each day. Here's another before/after shot. This is day 4 without the skimmer and daily Microbacter7 dosing (5mL per 25g).

Unread 05/22/2016, 11:00 AM   #3658
taricha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
Oh, i guess i didnt update my upclose biology thread here yet. I thought I did. Way to tired to do it now. I was going to link to the vid and pic of the dinos before and after H2O2. Its updated on that other site that peroxide thread is at.

Heres the playlist
Cyano H2O2: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...SovGqjiCjXnpa-
I saw your vids in the other thread. Great stuff. Your scope is much stronger than mine. I'd be interested to see closeups of dinos before/after peroxide. Only changes I can make out are no movement and theca separates.

Thanks a ton for the thread rec. Lots of info there relevant to what I'm looking into at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeDejavu View Post
I've been wanting a microscope for a while now, so I figure this is a good time. Can I make a positive ID at 400x or is stronger mag needed?
Also, do you guys notice a smell with your Dinos?
nope. 40x is sufficient for Dino ID to genus level - which is mostly all we care about. see http://www.algaeid.com/identification/ for examples.

Lots of people note a smell with dinos. I used to think mine didn't smell until one of my students said the dino beakers smelled bad compared to the clean tank water beakers.

Unread 05/22/2016, 02:15 PM   #3659
DNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
Awesome videos.
It looks like an expensive microscope in skillful hands.

I was trying to figure out if dinos are seeking out the cyanobacteria or vice versa.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2016, 02:33 PM   #3660
Kurt03
Registered Member

I think the smell is similar to when acros are out of the water or your fragging them?

Awesome videos with the microscope, what scope is that? I think I'm going to get one, not sure which one though.

Kurt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2016, 09:10 PM   #3661
taricha
Registered Member

Went the other direction today, wanted to see how many small-ish doses it took spread every 30 min to knock out the ostis.
dose size: .02 ml H2O2 in 200 ml = 1 ml / 10 liters or 3.8ml / 10 gal
Did one dose every 30 min. Dinos started being affected significantly around #5 or #6. 30 minutes after dose #7 they were 100% inactivated.
I'd like to repeat it to check my measurements.
It seems like it took about the same amount of peroxide spread out (.7ml/Liter) as it did in bulk (.8ml/Liter)

Perhaps it could work with even smaller doses, spread out for longer.

Unread 05/22/2016, 09:19 PM   #3662
Kurt03
Registered Member

Any idea if that dose would be harmful to other micro fauna, corals, fish?

Unread 05/22/2016, 10:06 PM   #3663
taricha
Registered Member

Yes. Without having looked into it in depth, I have to presume it would kill a number of things. Not sure what all those things might be.
Small organisms and small cells seem to be more vulnerable in general.
But that's kind of where I'm heading. First I want to get a good nailed down number of what doses kill ostreopsis dinos. Then figure out what does and doesn't survive that dose. Maybe some systems can use that high a dose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Unread 05/23/2016, 12:10 PM   #3664
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

Got my AmScope M150C, not bad at all. I was expecting a child's toy but this thing is actually pretty hefty. The stock eyepiece has noticeable field curvature at low mag, but I can't complain at $84.

Can someone with a much better eye than me tell me what i'm looking at here? There's zero movement whatsoever, but that could be because they're sandwiched between a slide and a cover slip, lol. Am I dealing with Amphidinium?

Last edited by StrangeDejavu; 05/23/2016 at 12:22 PM.
StrangeDejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2016, 12:41 PM   #3665
Kurt03
Registered Member

What magnifications are those images? Did you just put your phone up to the eye piece?

Unread 05/23/2016, 02:08 PM   #3666
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt03 View Post
What magnifications are those images? Did you just put your phone up to the eye piece?
Yes, Note 5 up to the eyepiece. I can't say for sure on magnifications, but it's capable of 40X, 100X, 250X, 400X & 1000X. I was just spinning eyepieces and snapping photos. I was having too much fun looking at cyano, diatoms and everything else and forgot I had a water change and a blackout to prepare for.

What I found interesting is one of the snotty strands that was dangling from the rock contained no movement. But when I made another slide with what was in the sand, there was movement. Here's a video of that:

Last edited by StrangeDejavu; 05/23/2016 at 02:22 PM.
Unread 05/23/2016, 02:28 PM   #3667
Kurt03
Registered Member

Yea, i have wanted a scope for a while. I just find it interesting and I guess this gives me a solid reason for getting one We have some high end scopes here at work but I dont always have access to those....

Unread 05/23/2016, 02:30 PM   #3668
Kurt03
Registered Member

oh and just remembered about this ID page a few posts back. Thinking you have Ostreopsis
http://www.algaeid.com/identification/

Unread 05/23/2016, 02:33 PM   #3669
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

Quote:
Yea, i have wanted a scope for a while. I just find it interesting and I guess this gives me a solid reason for getting one We have some high end scopes here at work but I dont always have access to those....
I love Science and have been on the fence for years about going to school to be a Medical Lab Tech. Given that and my need for a positive ID, I thought it were a better time than any to order one.

Unread 05/23/2016, 02:42 PM   #3670
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

Quote:
oh and just remembered about this ID page a few posts back. Thinking you have Ostreopsis
http://www.algaeid.com/identification/
Osti's are sesame seed shaped based on what i've read. Here's an image of Amphidinium I pulled from Google, and pasted my own photos next to them. I do believe I have Amphidinium.

Unread 05/23/2016, 03:23 PM   #3671
jason2459
Registered Member

I'll leave this here that goes into several photo galleries.
http://www.marinespecies.org/photoga...php?album=1033

and the overall parent gallery is worth browsing as well
http://www.marinespecies.org/photogallery.php

Unread 05/23/2016, 05:18 PM   #3672
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

So 25% WC down, gravel vacced the sand thoroughly, then did it again. I siphoned what I could off the rock with a turkey baster. Next, I removed what little rock I could and scrubbed them well. I blew off the rocks and added new floss and ran my MP10 on the highest setting for about 10 minutes, then changed the floss again. I usually run 4 tablespoons of BRS ROX carbon, but I added 10 tablespoons this time to account for die off. Finally covered the tank in mutiple layers of black trash bag- all sides and top. I'm running the skimmer for the blackout and added two air pumps which is really agitating the surface in the back chamber. I also left a "chimney" open up the back so CO2 can escape. My concern though are the fish... are they going to be okay as far as oxygen levels go?

Last edited by StrangeDejavu; 05/23/2016 at 05:38 PM.
Unread 05/23/2016, 05:49 PM   #3673
taricha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeDejavu View Post
I do believe I have Amphidinium.
Agreed.
However the round motionless ones in the slimy strings off of rocks are not amphidinium.
Amphidinium stay in sand, don't have heavy mucous strings, move a lot constantly, gliding rather than spinning.

Your stringy things are something different though - not ostreopsis either. Also not prorocentrum.

In Pants' thread, he referred to every once in a while seeing in samples from people small round golden motionless dinos embedded in mucous that look like zooxanthelle (symbiodinium).
Makes me wonder if symbiodinium could ever actually multiply in a tank outside of a host.

Slip covers don't keep dinos from moving. So that's not what's going on.

Last edited by taricha; 05/23/2016 at 06:03 PM.
Unread 05/23/2016, 07:12 PM   #3674
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

Quote:
In Pants' thread, he referred to every once in a while seeing in samples from people small round golden motionless dinos embedded in mucous that look like zooxanthelle (symbiodinium).
Makes me wonder if symbiodinium could ever actually multiply in a tank outside of a host.
If it helps any, here's the round motionless dinos in the tank. The pics I posted above came from the string blowing around.

Last edited by StrangeDejavu; 05/23/2016 at 07:22 PM.
Unread 05/23/2016, 09:16 PM   #3675
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Agreed.
However the round motionless ones in the slimy strings off of rocks are not amphidinium.
Amphidinium stay in sand, don't have heavy mucous strings, move a lot constantly, gliding rather than spinning.

Your stringy things are something different though - not ostreopsis either. Also not prorocentrum.

Slip covers don't keep dinos from moving. So that's not what's going on.
Yes, zoox can. They lose their flagelets once inside corals though. I can't remember if they can grow them back though if expelled.