Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/14/2011, 06:20 AM   #101
reefngeek
Registered Member

Beautiful tank. How often do you feed your dendro??

reefngeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2011, 08:27 AM   #102
Russter
Northern Reefer

I don't do a lot of direct feeding of it as it seems to get a good amount of food passively, especially when I feed the Marineland gel food to the fish. It gets a direct feeding maybe once a week of a mixture of mysis, reefroids and pyhto along with the rest of the corals.

Russter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2011, 11:35 AM   #103
Russter
Northern Reefer

New light arrived yesterday and was waiting for me when I got home.

It was packaged well and no shipping damage.

It seems well built and has a huge heat sink and fan built in. The red button is the fan switch.

Installed. I got rid of the clips that came with the hanging clip and used stainless bolts and nuts to attach the hangers to the fixture.

Blue only. Very nice fluoresence in real life but I couldn't get the camera setting right.

White only.

Full on blue and white with very nice shimmer effect too.

I have dimmed it down to about 75% so that everything can get acclimated. I am very impressed with this light so far, especially for the price. Hopefully the corals feel the same way.

Unread 05/17/2011, 07:32 PM   #104
reefngeek
Registered Member

Looking great! Tank dimensions? Rimless?

Unread 05/17/2011, 08:36 PM   #105
Russter
Northern Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefngeek View Post
Looking great! Tank dimensions? Rimless?
Thanks! Standard 20 gallon high. 24" x 12" plastic trim.

Last edited by Russter; 05/17/2011 at 08:42 PM.
Unread 05/18/2011, 04:59 AM   #106
reefngeek
Registered Member

Does the plastic trim bother you?I'm undecided on whether I should go rimless or not

Unread 05/18/2011, 01:54 PM   #107
Russter
Northern Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefngeek View Post
Does the plastic trim bother you?I'm undecided on whether I should go rimless or not
If I had the choice I would go rimless but I got this tank for free. It just looks cleaner to me especially if you do not have a canopy.

Unread 05/18/2011, 09:09 PM   #108
Boa1277
Registered Member

Nice!

Boa1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2011, 10:42 AM   #109
Russter
Northern Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boa1277 View Post
Nice!
Thanks!

Unread 05/26/2011, 03:43 PM   #110
Russter
Northern Reefer

Finally!

My battle with the emerald crab has come to an end. After a week of trying to catch the crafty critter, I have triumphed!
It all started when I noticed the crab perched in the branches of my green birdsnest coral. It looked like he was doing his usual duty of picking off bits of algae like he does from the rock. But upon further inspection, I noticed the crab was actually eating the tips and polyps off the coral. This of course would not be allowed. After many attempts to lure him with tasty bits of silversides, I came home today to find him in the birdsnest again. I managed to grab the crab with a pair of large forceps and pull him out of the tank (although he did not want to let go). He is now residing in the sump, where there is lots of bubble algae for him to enjoy.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon
Unread 05/26/2011, 04:09 PM   #111
ange062
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russter View Post
My battle with the emerald crab has come to an end. After a week of trying to catch the crafty critter, I have triumphed!
It all started when I noticed the crab perched in the branches of my green birdsnest coral. It looked like he was doing his usual duty of picking off bits of algae like he does from the rock. But upon further inspection, I noticed the crab was actually eating the tips and polyps off the coral. This of course would not be allowed. After many attempts to lure him with tasty bits of silversides, I came home today to find him in the birdsnest again. I managed to grab the crab with a pair of large forceps and pull him out of the tank (although he did not want to let go). He is now residing in the sump, where there is lots of bubble algae for him to enjoy.
I've had very similar experiences with my emerald, he is on his 5th strike and the next time I see him nip at ANY of my corals, SPS or not, he is going back to the LFS...

Fresh shrimp chunks a couple times a week seem to keep him full enough to not bother things for now.

29g AGA Planted FW
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2011, 03:28 PM   #112
Russter
Northern Reefer

Here's a quick little video of the tank with the new lights.

Unread 06/02/2011, 12:45 PM   #113
Russter
Northern Reefer

Good and Bad news

For some unexplained reason, the Bangaii cardinal ended up stuck in the overflow pipe a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if it died in the tank and got sucked in or if it got sucked in (maybe while sleeping?) and died in the pipe. Either way, it had seemed very healthy and was eating well, so not sure exactly what happened.
This opened up some room in my tank for another fish. I have always wanted a filamented flasher wrasse but could never find one when I had room for one. So down to the LFS I went with some xenia and colt frags. They actually had one so I traded the frags for this very beautiful fish.

Unread 06/02/2011, 01:24 PM   #114
Michael B
Registered Member

Stunning fish & great photos

Unread 06/02/2011, 02:07 PM   #115
ange062
Registered Member

Wow, that carpenters is beautiful! I've been looking for one for myself. Didn't have much luck with my first flasher wrasse, a mccoskers, it lasted about a month then died mysteriously.

29g AGA Planted FW
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2011, 05:04 PM   #116
Russter
Northern Reefer

Hopefully this one lasts longer than a month It was sold to me as a filamented wrasse, but I think you are right with it being a Carpenter's.

Unread 06/02/2011, 07:41 PM   #117
Carpet_Surfin
Registered Member

Awesome wrasse and great tank setup

Carpet_Surfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2011, 07:00 PM   #118
Flatlander
Premium Member

Nice tank Russ. Look forward to seeing how the lights work in the long run for you. When I downsized to my 20g standard tank a month ago, I also grabbed one of the SWC fixtures when in the city. So far working fine and my sps frags seem to be responding well, so far.

Current Tank Info: 50g sumpless sps tank..Evergrow 2081 led..Apex control..Tunze 9012 skimmer..Tunze calcium reactor..Tunze kalk reactor..2 rw8,s..1 MP40..1 Hydor Korillia 1200gph..Tunze ATO..all propagated sps frags
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2011, 07:16 PM   #119
Russter
Northern Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
Nice tank Russ. Look forward to seeing how the lights work in the long run for you. When I downsized to my 20g standard tank a month ago, I also grabbed one of the SWC fixtures when in the city. So far working fine and my sps frags seem to be responding well, so far.
That is good to here that your sps are doing well under the light. Mine seem to be showing growth under them as well.
The new wrasse has added some more movement to the tank and coaxed the firefish out into the open.

Video

Unread 06/08/2011, 06:00 AM   #120
Russter
Northern Reefer

Some water parameters from last night:

Temperature: 80.0 F
pH: 8.24
Salinity: 1.026
Calcium: 420 ppm (API)
Alkalinity: 9.358 dKH (Hanna checker)
Magnesium: 1300 ppm (Elos)
Nitrate: 0 ppm (API)
Phosphate: 0 ppm (API)

Unread 06/16/2011, 08:40 PM   #121
Russter
Northern Reefer

A couple of goodies arrived in the mail today. Got a Vortech Battery Backup, as well as a UPS battery backup that will allow the Apex to send me an email in the case of power failure. Also got a couple of impellers for the Mag 9.5 to replace the one I broke last week while cleaning the pump. Stupid ceramic shafts.

Unread 07/17/2011, 04:09 PM   #122
Russter
Northern Reefer

10 months old

It's update time again. The tank is now 10 months old now and starting to really fill out.
Things have been going well, except I lost a couple of fish. The flasher wrasse jumped to his doom despite the net cover I made. I have plans to make another with smaller holes so that no fish should be able to sneak through. The lawnmower blenny died of what I assume was old age as there was no other explanation. Was eating lots and I read somewhere that they only live a couple of years. Also gone are the two firefish. No bodies found just disappeared. They had a burrow behind and under a large piece of rock so it is possible there was a cave in. Both disappeared around the same time.
Corals have been growing well with no signs of stress or disease. The switch to LEDs seems to have gone over without a hitch. I really like colour that the LED lights have and the shimmer effect is great too.

FTS

Unread 07/17/2011, 07:19 PM   #123
Russter
Northern Reefer

1.5 months growth

Here is 1.5 months growth of the green-tipped birdsnest under LED lights. I think this is a pretty good indication that LEDs are just as good as metal halides and T5s for coral growth.

...........................................June 2, 2011................................................................................................ ...............July 17, 2011................................................

Unread 07/17/2011, 09:48 PM   #124
Clownfish 11790
Registered Member

That is an awesome tank! I just read through the entire thread. I'm subscribing to this for sure!I am thinking about switching to LEDs, but having a 20g L is somewhat troublesome because the fixtures are usually only around 12" or so and since it's 30" long I would need around two.

Any suggestions from a pro such as yourself?

Clownfish 11790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2011, 05:05 AM   #125
Russter
Northern Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownfish 11790 View Post
That is an awesome tank! I just read through the entire thread. I'm subscribing to this for sure!I am thinking about switching to LEDs, but having a 20g L is somewhat troublesome because the fixtures are usually only around 12" or so and since it's 30" long I would need around two.

Any suggestions from a pro such as yourself?
Thanks, although I am definitely not a pro I think that for my fixture (around 16" long), you would probably need 2 of them for anything over 24" if you are planning on keeping any sps. If you have softies, you might be able to get away with just one, although you will probably notice a darker area near the sides of your tank.